Quantcast

Australian cyclist and former Olympic rower Amy Gillett killed

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:(:(:(

The wrecked car stands in a garage near Triptis, eastern Germany, Tuesday, July 19, 2005. Australian cyclist and former Olympic rower Amy Gillett was killed and five of her teammates were seriously injured in a collision with a car during a training ride near Zeulenroda, eastern Germany, Monday, July 19, 2005. The team was training for this week's Tour of Thuringen.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's sad as hell.

I've never understood what the term "lost control of the car" means, unless used in the context of a brake failure, oil slick, icy road, or whatever. Basically, it's a polite way of saying "negligently crashed into" something/someone...

MD

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So every dent in that car was caused by a rider? No other vehicle involved?

She must have made a left so close in front of the riders that they didn't have time to touch the brakes. I'm with MikeD...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Silver said:
So every dent in that car was caused by a rider? No other vehicle involved?

She must have made a left so close in front of the riders that they didn't have time to touch the brakes. I'm with MikeD...
I'm pretty sure she hit a solid object as part of her loss of control/reaction to the accident to cause that damage...

Lemme guess...you're not an insurance adjuster or CHP officer by trade?

MD

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MikeD said:
I'm pretty sure she hit a solid object as part of her loss of control/reaction to the accident to cause that damage...

MD
Nope...never thought about that. I just had a flashback to the car the old guy drove through the Santa Monica farmers market a couple of years ago. It looked like that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Silver said:
Nope...never thought about that. I just had a flashback to the car the old guy drove through the Santa Monica farmers market a couple of years ago. It looked like that.
Ugh, you made me shudder just thinking about that...that was crazy and tragic...

Are you sure HE didn't hit a bunch of kiosks and metal poles while he careened around the market, too?

MD

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MikeD said:

MD
Think about what happens to a car when you hit a deer. Several people on bikes could do a lot of damage..... But it does like it partially rolled into something.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
MikeD said:
Ugh, you made me shudder just thinking about that...that was crazy and tragic...

Are you sure HE didn't hit a bunch of kiosks and metal poles while he careened around the market, too?

MD
He could have, but the dents looked very...uh...people sized. Have you ever seen what a car looks like after hitting a deer? It's amazing the amount of damage that can do.

I still think you're right though :D

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Amy Gillett was married to her former rowing coach Simon and was studying for a PhD. In her personal bio in the AIS women's team diary on Cyclingnews, she listed her ambitions for 2005 as "To master the art of time trialling, actually commence my PhD, and most importantly to give my husband plenty of loving."

That is why I love Australian women. :love:

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
What horriable thing I fell for the familys of Amy`s and all of the other cyclist injured ,and for lost control did the teenager ever have control :think: :think: ............