Quantcast

Auto X Shots

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey, just happens that the location i was riding at today, also had an auto x race going. Grabbed the camera and came out with these:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cool shots.

The Oregon Trail rally was this weekend. They had a few of the cars in Pioneer Courthouse Square. Rally and Auto-X cars kick ass.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Fraser thanks for making me feel like a piece of crap hahhaha. I wish i had longer glass with me for this, i had the slr in the car because we were headed to a ride but only had the 1.8 prime with me...

Yeah it is great to see cars being used, the porsche was a beautiful specimen, but i am partial to the s4 myself. The european domination was due to my personal tastes though, there must have been about 40-50 wrx's and sti's ...

good stuff.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Fraser thanks for making me feel like a piece of crap hahhaha. I wish i had longer glass with me for this, i had the slr in the car because we were headed to a ride but only had the 1.8 prime with me...

Yeah it is great to see cars being used, the porsche was a beautiful specimen, but i am partial to the s4 myself. The european domination was due to my personal tastes though, there must have been about 40-50 wrx's and sti's ...

good stuff.
Naw man, it's all good. Your shots are pretty good. I always had trouble focusing with my 10d, it just wasn't fast enough for what I was using it for. 50mm is definately short, I was at 200, 300 or 420mm the entire day and i had track access.

Unfortunately there was only 1 or 2 Imprezas, 1 dual turbo Talon and a bunch of super gnarly beaters that guys race on the Canadian and North East Rally circuits. All of the really fast guys were in Maine at a big rally the same day. Lots of Volkswagen golfs and such.

I shot everything too fast as I was trying to blow out the BG and don't have an ND filter. I got no wheelspin due to this, oh well. Lame.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
Naw man, it's all good. Your shots are pretty good. I always had trouble focusing with my 10d, it just wasn't fast enough for what I was using it for. 50mm is definately short, I was at 200, 300 or 420mm the entire day and i had track access.
YEAH! That was the problem i was having, focusing was causing me some issues, that and i was trying not to get killed standing in that corner and trying to get close enough with a fixed focal length lens...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya, the 10d AF isn't the greatest in the world. The mk2 is night and day in that dept. Even then I can manage to confuse it once and awhile if it is just too far out of focus.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
They were haulin down the straights. Close to 200km/h, and close to 100 in that corner (big 90 deg sweeper).
:looney: that is nuts in an mk3 VW, i dont care what mods you have going...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

My younger brothers first car was a 2002 that a guy auto crossed. A truly fun and scary car to drive. Having that car CO would have been wonderful.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
:looney: that is nuts in an mk3 VW, i dont care what mods you have going...
It was a little ridiculous to say the least. Some jokers in a dual turbo talon were blowing through 2 gallons of intercooler spray per stage. Some cars were of course, much faster than others.

The best was the 3 or 4 VW Rabbits and Foxs (complete beaters) just going for broke.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
It was a little ridiculous to say the least. Some jokers in a dual turbo talon were blowing through 2 gallons of intercooler spray per stage. Some cars were of course, much faster than others.

The best was the 3 or 4 VW Rabbits and Foxs (complete beaters) just going for broke.
yeah i just wonder what some of those clowns are thinking pounding their everday ride...:rolleyes:

STI's were lighting the track up in PA today...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
YEAH! That was the problem i was having, focusing was causing me some issues, that and i was trying not to get killed standing in that corner and trying to get close enough with a fixed focal length lens...
That's a really short lens for motorsports but I've found that using "mtb" point and shoot technique works well if you're having focusing issues.

Pre-focus on the point where the car is going to be and you're all set.

Personally, I like to shoot at relatively slow shutter speeds and pan for some motion blur. That can be harder at an autoX due to the relatively low speeds though.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Nice shots. I shot a tarmac rally this weekend.
Bummer about the flat light.

It's cool to see all of those squishy suspensions on asphalt. Dedicated track cars would be lifting wheels while the rally cars are just showing body roll with all four tires on the ground.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
justsomeguy said:
That's a really short lens for motorsports but I've found that using "mtb" point and shoot technique works well if you're having focusing issues.

Personally, I like to shoot at relatively slow shutter speeds and pan for some motion blur. That can be harder at an autoX due to the relatively low speeds though.
Ya, i was about to try some panning, but we decided to split. I was pretty bummed i had to shoot at 2.8 most of the day i was there just to kill the super ugly BGs. I need to get a decent ND filter.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
justsomeguy said:
Bummer about the flat light.

It's cool to see all of those squishy suspensions on asphalt. Dedicated track cars would be lifting wheels while the rally cars are just showing body roll with all four tires on the ground.
Ya, that's the other reason we split. Storms were a comin'. So far we have had 3 inches of rain since then and crap is flooding everywhere. Didn't feel like getting drenched. It did keep the glare to a minimum though.

I was trying to get down as low as the wall would allow to accentuate the body roll. I don't think many of these guys even stiffenned stuff up after the last gravel rally, and they undoubtedly don't have the $ for extra shocks/struts etc for some of those buckets.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Not to hijack the thread, but somebody (me) has press credentials for the Rim of the World Rally out here in Cali. So not only will I be going, but I won't be paying for food, or gas or lodging, I get to drive the stages inorder to find my shooting shots, I know a bunch of Rover guys that are working as course marshalls so the BBQ will be killer, and as a topper I'm getting payed to be there. My life sucks!

Nice shots all around by the way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
justsomeguy said:

Hhahah i know, but i wasnt planning on shooting the auto x race, just some dark woods stuff so i brought the shorty. I find it incredibly difficult to pre focus for MTB stuff, esp in an instance where the rider is in the air...You can get a relative focus, but it is hard to get the crisp crystal clear shots that i am looking for...I guess i just need to work on my technique.

Just some guy, i just wanna tell you that your porsche is prob one of the best looking i have ever seen. I think it is a perfect representation of what porsche is... We actually have the same car right down the street for sale, and I drool over it every day on my way to work. Can you post some pics?