Quantcast

automated chicken catcher

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I spent the weekend in the concrete paradise of New York City, so here's another dead of winter, non bike-related post:

Anyone want an automated chicken catcher sold as the "E-Z catch"?

There's a crazy video too, though not spectacularly good on the cruelty to animals front. Blurb on the machine:

Position of rotating drums hydraulically adjustable for: various chicken sizes, distance between drums, speed of rotation of the 11.5" rubber fingers and height for house conditions. Drive wheels on drum assembly are hydraulically driven and steered independent of main power unit.

Rotating drums can be tilted forward or backward, hydraulically, to adjust for litter condition.

J

JRB

How in tarnation did you find that? Anyway - I hate chickens, so that is more than awesome. :thumb:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
damn!, thats nothing.
i watched on the news the other day a video from a farm that supplies KFC.
they did worse stuff to the chickens, they threw them around, kicked them, and they had this rotating thing that grabbed the chicken by the legs (sometimes breaking them) and put the upside down one next to the other like bottles in a bottling factory and then pass them thru rotating blades.
some of the chickens were still moving after having the necks partially cut, and then they were sinked into hot water, some of them still alive.

that chit revolted the doritos and pepsi i was having when i was watching the news...

i think this is what i saw on the news...
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=pilgrims_web

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
ALEXIS_DH said:
damn!, thats nothing.
i watched on the news the other day a video from a farm that supplies KFC.
they did worse stuff to the chickens, they threw them around, kicked them, and they had this rotating thing that grabbed the chicken by the legs (sometimes breaking them) and put the upside down one next to the other like bottles in a bottling factory and then pass them thru rotating blades.
some of the chickens were still moving after having the necks partially cut, and then they were sinked into hot water, some of them still alive.

that chit revolted the doritos and pepsi i was having when i was watching the news...

i think this is what i saw on the news...
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=pilgrims_web
my HS chem teacher hasn't eaten chicken since he went to a very similar plant as a kid on a field trip. He's in his 60s now...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Barbaton said:
my HS chem teacher hasn't eaten chicken since he went to a very similar plant as a kid on a field trip. He's in his 60s now...
If you ever want to swear off pork just get within 10 miles down wind of a pig feedlot. I can't even imagine what one smells like up close.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Barbaton said:
my dad doesnt eat chicken nor hot dogs either, since way before i can remember....

he has quite a few clients that own industrial poultry farms, and another client who owns a hot dog and ham factory.

he says that what they do to chickens is awful, and that hot dogs and the cheaper hams are made of nasty crap.

at least cows get an instant death with a huge blow to the head or get shot in the head here... same with pigs.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
we raised chickens when I was younger. just for our family to eat, not on a giant farm.

when they got big enough, we would take a stump, put two nails next to each other to hold the chickens head while my dad pulled on thier feet and wacked 'em w/ a hatchet. then he'd hold their headless body in a bucket while they died, keeping the blood from splattering all over.

then we would pluck their feathers and freeze 'em.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
pnj said:
we raised chickens when I was younger. just for our family to eat, not on a giant farm.

when they got big enough, we would take a stump, put two nails next to each other to hold the chickens head while my dad pulled on thier feet and wacked 'em w/ a hatchet. then he'd hold their headless body in a bucket while they died, keeping the blood from splattering all over.

then we would pluck their feathers and freeze 'em.
Chicken that fresh must be mighty tasty.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I went to college in Arkansas... home of Tyson chicken. We had the head Tyson factory dude come out and speak for your Tech & Soc. class. He told us about the whole process from the collecting of the live chickens to the hanging of the chickens on the clasps that take them (upside down) through the line to the blades that cut the artery in their ankles so they bleed to death (if they are lucky) before they are defeathered by the giant feather plucking wheels and chopped up by the high pressure ruby tipped water cutters.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
that video is the best thing ever. you could shoot chickens with that machine :think: