Quantcast

AV monkeys...outdoor speaker Q's.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I want to put in some decent (but economical) outdoor speakers for a little ambient sound out by the hottub.
Problem: BASS.
The home theatre setup is wired for a sub box, so my b speaker outlets, I believe, will be set up so that the bass crossover threshold is too high for decent bass outside of the house. I don't really want a sub box outside, any creative solutions, or am I over interpreting?
Also, reccomendations of a decent (hard wired) speaker set would be welcome. Thanks!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sure some people will chime in, especially narlus and N8 both have outdoor speaker setups, but you can do a search and there have been at least a couple threads about decent outdoor speakers.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Bose. They make some awesome outdoor speakers that are wired and not outrageously expensive. Or you could go with those cheesy speakers in a rock if you want to be cheap.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i can't help you w/ the problem if it's related to the frequency split coming from yr amp...would that be true for the outputs for speaker set B as well? i can se the main surround sound outputs being configured that way, but the aux set?

Binaural

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
The crossover point of your system is unlikely to be the problem. The acoustics of a normal room tend to prop up your bass response and that's why many speakers that sound great indoors sound thin and weak outside. It takes a lot of watts to get decent outdoor bass, check out the size of some of the bass stacks at your next open air festival gig.

My advice would be not to worry about putting a subwoofer outside and be happy with what you have, provided your speakers are of reasonable size.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
rideit said:
So, I want to put in some decent (but economical) outdoor speakers for a little ambient sound out by the hottub.
Problem: BASS.
The home theatre setup is wired for a sub box, so my b speaker outlets, I believe, will be set up so that the bass crossover threshold is too high for decent bass outside of the house. I don't really want a sub box outside, any creative solutions, or am I over interpreting?
Also, reccomendations of a decent (hard wired) speaker set would be welcome. Thanks!
Unless you HT setup has a crossover built in, the output of your B speakers should be full range. If not, what's wrong with a sub outside?

Have you hooked speakers to the B output to ascertain the audio spectrum available?

Hook up a set of speakers, and one of two things should become apparent:
1) The output is bandwidth reduced (IE a crossover circuit is in place), and contains no information below the crossover point.
2) The output is full range.

So...
1) You could buy another amp (integrated-amp only) to drive your outdoor speakers, and use one of the full range aux ouputs from the HT system to drive said amplifier.
2) hook up some speakers and enjoy the hot tub.

Binaural said:
The crossover point of your system is unlikely to be the problem. The acoustics of a normal room tend to prop up your bass response and that's why many speakers that sound great indoors sound thin and weak outside. It takes a lot of watts to get decent outdoor bass, check out the size of some of the bass stacks at your next open air festival gig.
What he said... 80 % of the power draw at a concert is sub amps (audio-wise, lights are another story).
EG: Outdoors, we generally use 6-10 double 18" speaker boxes per side. Each box is powered by one side of an 8000 watt amplifier. All told, thats 24-40 18" speakers and 64,000-110,000 watts just for sub information (80 Hz and below). Conversely, the rest of the PA (mids / highs) has 72,000 watts of amps, but that is into generally higher impedences so its current draw is not the same.

Binarual said:
My advice would be not to worry about putting a subwoofer outside and be happy with what you have, provided your speakers are of reasonable size.
If his HT does indeed have a crossover on the B output, then the output will not contain any information below 200Hz (maybe lower), and if he puts that into some speakers, it will *really* sound thin.

Regards,
Marc

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
bballe336 said:
Bose. They make some awesome outdoor speakers that are wired and not outrageously expensive. Or you could go with those cheesy speakers in a rock if you want to be cheap.
Bose has the worse bass response in the business. I would say anything BUT Bose.

Binaural said:

Agreed. Go for the speaker with the best Bass response possible. My suggestion is the Boston Acoustic Yoyagers. The 6 1/2" will do the trick and give the cleanest overall sound as well. The B output should not have any crossover points engaged. What is the model of your receiver?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
mud'n'sweat said:
Bose has the worse bass response in the business. I would say anything BUT Bose.
The bose outdoor speakers have plenty of bass. They sound fine. And it's not like you need some amazing sound system when you are listening outside anyways.