Quantcast

Available 29 tyres

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
What are the options available if your after a wide soft compound type in 29inch? I have had a look but most are skinny things.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
WTB Weirwolf
WTB Stout
Schwalbe Racing Ralph
Maxxis Ardent

I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two or four other good wide/high volume candidates.

TRB

Chimp
Nov 1, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
Good call on the Halo.

Very similar to the Panaracer Rampage 2.35 (another stellar tire - especially as a front tire)
I ran the Rampage tubed on WTB DD FR rims. When I went with the Flow rims I had a burp and crashed. It was an odd scenario and many have had success with the Rampage/Flow tubeless. But the Halo wire-bead locks on the Flow much better in my opinion. I don't even think about them tubeless anymore. I think the Halo is a cross between the Rampage and the Resolution.

Ozmosis

Chimp
Feb 26, 2009
Halo ChoirMaster 2.35, this tire does not get mentiond as much as others but it a excellant 29'er tire. I run them tubeless on flow rims and have had zero issues with them.
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a real world measurement on the ChoirMaster? How does it compare to the Rampage, in terms of cushion on a rigid front?

TRB

Chimp
Nov 1, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a real world measurement on the ChoirMaster? How does it compare to the Rampage, in terms of cushion on a rigid front?
I have it posted somewhere on the 29'er forum over at MTBR. The Rampage and ChoirMaster were very close in volume. I'm off to the doc this morning and I'll see if I can find that post later.

PS: Question to the mods, MTBR link allowable on RM?

Ozmosis

Chimp
Feb 26, 2009
I have it posted somewhere on the 29'er forum over at MTBR. The Rampage and ChoirMaster were very close in volume. I'm off to the doc this morning and I'll see if I can find that post later.

PS: Question to the mods, MTBR link allowable on RM?
Here we go.

Ozmosis

Chimp
Feb 26, 2009
Here's my dilemma:

-I'm looking for a front tire that will provide some cush and still hold on in the corners
-It'd be nice if it rolled fairly well too
-It'd also be nice if the bead would stay on the rim
-I've only ever tried Exi's and Rampages

Here's how I'm thinking:

Another Rampage
Pro's:
-I love the volume and grip
-Rolls good enough for me
Con's:
-I've had issues with loose beads on these

WTB Stout
Pro's:
-I think they have similar volume
-Should be covered in the grip department
-Some have said it's like adding 2" of suspension because of low pressure/tough sidewalls
Con's:
-Heavy
-Rolls slow

Conti MK 2.4
Pro's:
-Grows to an appropriate size (does it stay there when pressure is lowered, though?)
-Rolls decent
Con's:
-Knob squirm

Halo ChoirMaster
Pro's:
-Similar volume to Rampage
-Sounds like decent grip
Con's:
-Maybe more rolling resistance than Rampage?

Nevegal
Pro's:
-Similar volume to Rampage
-Similar grip
Con's:
-Shorter lifespan
-Knobs tear off

Maxxis Ardent
Pro's:
-Similar volume to Rampage?
-Rolls better
Con's:
-No transition knobs

Specialized Eskar
Pro's:
-Similar to Ardent
Con's:
-Similar to Ardent

WTB WWLT
Pro's:
-Most available cush
-Rolls well
Con's:
-Not much cornering grip

Am I way off base on any of these? Is there anything I'm forgetting?
I realize there's a tradeoff for everything. My order of priorities are comfort, grip, bead strength, then weight.

I appreciate your guys' input!

Oh, and I have been known to be kind of rough on my tires...

Attachments

Last edited:

TRB

Chimp
Nov 1, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
That's one but I know I either posted or have a comparison measurement when I swapped out the tires. I do think the Rampage was ever so slightly larger at the time. Something like 2.31 compared to the 2.29.

Great list but I personally think the Choir Master rolls better or equal to the Rampage. I run the CM F & R with the R running bi-directional. I am kicking around a Ardent for the rear as it is getting close to replacement time. Wear has been good with the CM but I don't put down the miles many others do in a year.