Quantcast

Avalanche 35mm boxxer cart not level?

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Just servicing these for my friend.
There are the 2012 boxxer race fork , he recently got them from ebay.
But upon removing the top cap as you can see in my crappy ipad pic the top cap is not level with the stanchion.
Now i guess these have been ridden like this which i hope has not caused any damage.
Now i have googled and searched on here regarding this and some people have had this but not as bad as mine by the looks of things.
I understand that the lower hole needs machining out to make it central.
As people have attempted drilling with devastating results.
So what i need to know is how this is done and by how much?
As obviously if the hole is overlly big then the cart will move about.

Sorry for the bad ipad pic

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
there was a previous post or two about this in the main Avy thread I think.

I think mine may be off by a mm sideways or so - I cant feel any issue while riding (3 years in).

Could it just be excess powder coat on the outside of the fork leg? If so, maybe a light sanding could fix so the nut is mating to a square surface.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Boxxer? Lol. Looks like mine was. Sanded my insides of lower flat, but realized hole was drilled off center. Also, outside of leg needs to be parallel with inside of leg. That compounded with out of tolerance bushings made me punt on the project. Rockshox qc sucks.

The RC- race version Boxxers are more prone to have a mis bored hole than the team and WC models.
Its pretty hit or miss how bad its going to be and i believe AVY Craig posted some info a while back how to mitigate it.
Thats really all you can do unless you buy new lowers.
And yes, RockShox /Sram QC sucks

I copied this from a post tronh made.

1. Take the topcap from the spring side. Attach a coin with a diameter just bigger than the ABS cone to the topcap. Cut a piece of sandpaper and attach that to the coin. I used a thin double sided tape. The topcap on the Race is completely flat, but if you have a Team or a WC I guess you have to get a topcap from the Race.
2. Fit the topcap to one of the stanchions and insert it upside down into the lowers. Be careful not to scratch the seals.
3. When the topcap/sandpaper reaches the bottom of the lowers, twist and turn to sand the bottom square. You will have to replace the sandpaper from time to time. Inspect the sanded surface. You are done when the sanded surface becomes a circle. This will take you an hour. Be careful not to sand down too much.
4. Blow out dust and make sure you clean the inside properly.

If the cartridge is still out of center at the topcap, the hole in the bottom of your lowers may be crooked too. This will pull the cone sideways even if the bottom is square. Mine was, so I modified the ABS cone too. I cut the piece of the cone that fits inside the hole leaving just 3 mm to center the ABS cone. That did the trick for me. The cartridge is now dead center. I emailed Craig at Avalanche about it, and he replied that the fix would work OK.

Last edited:

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone , well i have took them to bits and the hole seems centre , what seems to be the problem is one parts is thicker than the other so when you tighten the lower nut the cartridge actually touches the inner stanchion.
Way of centre , going to tell him to return the fork as it is far too much messing about.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The hole is centre but something else is off centre? I have no idea what you are talking about.

To me it looks as if the damper mount in the lowers isn't as it should be, I refaced mine with a dowel cut square with a washer and some emery cloth bonded to the end, I then drilled a hole through the centre of a spare top cap and faced the mount, worked well, my totem felt much nicer than my 888.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
The hole is centre but something else is off centre? I have no idea what you are talking about.

To me it looks as if the damper mount in the lowers isn't as it should be, I refaced mine with a dowel cut square with a washer and some emery cloth bonded to the end, I then drilled a hole through the centre of a spare top cap and faced the mount, worked well, my totem felt much nicer than my 888.
Sorry i do not understand any off that?
Are you talkng about the thick metal part in the bottom of the lowers that can be removed.

And you just sanded it to make it level?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
OK, your Avy cart is flat where it mounts in the fork lower, the Rock Shox QC is **** so the mounting surface in the fork lower is often not machined correctly, it should be at right angles to the bushings but is often a few degrees off.

If the mount in the lowers is even 1 degree off the top cap will be kicked sideways like yours and is the reason one RS fork can feel a lot better than another RS fork.

If you have the option to get your money back on the fork I would as it won't feel good with either damper unless you find a way to reface where the damper mounts in the lower.

And yes I esentially just sanded the lowers, I forgot I had a screw in the end of the dowel that just sat in the bolt hole in the lower so it was held centred at the top and bottom. However a Totem isn't quite as critical as the fork is a bit over half the height of a Boxxer so you can get away wih some misalignment.

Last edited: