Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just blew up my 40 damper shaft, does craig have any plans to make an adapter for 40's?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any real preference for a chassis to install the cart in? From my understanding the avy is open bath so it will be like a Marz fork. I would prefer a Boxxer because of available spares but is there any real advantage for RS/Fox or Marz?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
^^ Cheapest is definitely Boxxer Race+avy, but I think the Zoke Evo chassis is the mutts nuts.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Is that better or worse than the bee's knees?
Given the propensity of todays usual masochistic member of the dog owning community to liberate their dog of their manhood, I'd say it's at least 20% better.

Of course in the current world bee crisis bought on by the Varroa Destructor, the ratio of knees to nuts could even out.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fox 40 is on its way SOON. + some really cool stuff coming down the pipe and my cart will be back wed. with knobs, they are a first run preproduction and there are some available but the design will change this was in the midst of us making craig work hard that he squeezed a few preproduction units out to accomodate people.
He will install them for free, the new carts will have the tap and threaded hole done so they can adapt right up and the new design knobs will be soon I think theres more important stuff on the fire... So thanks for doing us the knobs in the midst of all this and I really look forward to whats coming.

Remember these are preproduction knobs, to help us out now while he finishes the new stuff and then makes us more custom designed knobs... Talk about CS, (Not Craig Seekins lol Customer Service! :D) thats jumping in there to help out your customers when your slammed... :thumb:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Any word on Craig will have the shock mods off pre-order and ready to go? Im hankering to send mine in.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any word on Craig will have the shock mods off pre-order and ready to go? Im hankering to send mine in.
Very soon! I know that doesnt give a definitive timeline but he is literally busting through stuff now that the carts are proven and fitment is covered for ALOT of them...

I posted a weight of the Internals from the WC that were removed for the cart as well in the first post but Ill put em here as well along with the adjuster knobs (preproduction just to get em out and working for people).

NOW 2 things to remember on the weights and the internals:
Avalanches has a hydraulic bottom out, open bath system and will take less 25cc's less oil at a weight of 20g for golden spectro.
Oil height for
boxxer 245ccs upper and 10cc's lower = 255cc's
Avalanche Cartridge 230cc's of oil = 230cc's

Note: the 35mm kit will weigh a smidge more than the 32s and will be less than the 38mm marz stucc. The adapters will vary a bit from size to size but this is 1:1 comparison for reference. the actual Avalanche cartridge without adapters is 225g

Boxxer WC 2010 internals 281g

Production kit and adapters Avalanche 289g

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Bullcrew, you seem to talk to the guy alot and know the ins-in-out.

Without a post full of your usual marketing jargon, slang, and other incomprehensible ramblings :D , how does a one-man show put out this much product? I know that he designs all this stuff, is he machining it as well? Does he have a fairly large shop? How many employees has he brought on board? It seems that unless he is working HUGE hours, there is no way that all this product could be shipped out? Unless he isn't as popular as the internet makes him out to be?

Does anyone know his production estimates? How big is this guy's business? I would love to send him my fork and shock this winter but am hoping that he wont get slammed with everyone else's stuff and end up with a 3 month turn-around time...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew, you seem to talk to the guy alot and know the ins-in-out.

Without a post full of your usual marketing jargon, slang, and other incomprehensible ramblings :D , how does a one-man show put out this much product? I know that he designs all this stuff, is he machining it as well? Does he have a fairly large shop? How many employees has he brought on board? It seems that unless he is working HUGE hours, there is no way that all this product could be shipped out? Unless he isn't as popular as the internet makes him out to be?

Does anyone know his production estimates? How big is this guy's business? I would love to send him my fork and shock this winter but am hoping that he wont get slammed with everyone else's stuff and end up with a 3 month turn-around time...
"MMMMM must refrain from spewing jargon, marketing stuff and anything incomprehensible ramblings, AHHHHHH it hurts"....

a couple of guys
Smaller shop
Works his @$$ off and always has
Plenty popular and a thick following that use his stuff for up to the last 10 years.

So all my uncomprehensible market rambling aside its called "hard work"...

Let me make this clear so as to anchor Craigs validity!
Daren at PUSH has gone countless hours with him over stuff, and bought parts from him.
Adrian Cortina CR1 same thing
Worked side by side alot of the big manufacturers as well The Big M
cycles has been doing parts for racetech for YEARS
Big manufacturers have gone to him for contract work as well as offers over the years even for peice work.
His history with DW and alot of others pretty well staples Craig as a very solid guy. Im sure alot of industry guys would chime in as well, hes stubborn but very knowledgeable.

Craig is probably the most sociable guy going and willing to spend time on the phone assisting competition and helping them out as well.

He has great turn around time, if you dont like my ramblings then dont click on my posts! :thumb:

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How do those grey knobs install on to the ends of the cartridge?

A set screw in the lower craig will put a new peice on there and then set/top screw as well. Top knob is a top screw only that retains the original flat head adjustment. The adjuster gets a flat head shape internally that fits into it and then the screw locks it down.

They rock a little lug nut looking but ROCK its so nice to be able to grab and twist now.... Easier to tune on the trail...

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
Given the propensity of todays usual masochistic member of the dog owning community to liberate their dog of their manhood, I'd say it's at least 20% better.

Of course in the current world bee crisis bought on by the Varroa Destructor, the ratio of knees to nuts could even out.
I have a honey bee hive box for the first time this year (with aprox 40,000 bees). Do I have to worry about Varroa Destructor in the Northeast ? But I have to say the bees love my Avalanche shock :D

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
Has anyone ridden these and compared it to a Bos Idylle?
I ride the Idylle now and I'm very happy with it apart from the weight and since it's been running two years it might be time soon to change.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Has anyone ridden these and compared it to a Bos Idylle?
I ride the Idylle now and I'm very happy with it apart from the weight and since it's been running two years it might be time soon to change.
BOS cart vs Avy cart in an '07 vs '08/'10 888 chassis
No hydro anti-bottoming and mid-valve on the BOS, else just about the same. You might be able to add a mid-valve tho. Base compression valving - hardwired hi speed shims and adjustable low speed via needle (I think). Rebound on top. Both shim stacks can be "tuned", but there's very little documentation on this for the BOS. For not having a mid-valve on the BOS, it still doesn't dive as much as the orifice carts like the RC3.
It's not a fair comparison on how smooth one cart is over the other. The bare 35mm chassis seems to feel a bit sticker than the 38 w/ the slotted bushes when I played with each without guts installed.
Both fork have spring slapping noises, but the 38 is less. Gonna try to put a 35mm Bxr spring in the 35mm 888 & turn it to a single side sprung fork. It's only about 3/16" shorter than the 38mm spring length whereas the OE spring is 4" shorter. So, the long spring in the 35 chassis should be more supple on the small stuff...in theory. The Bxr spring has closer tolerance w/ the stanchy walls of the 888, so hopefully when I grease it up, less slapping noise. The heat shrink on the spring will need to come off.

Hope this give you some insight on how the Idyll might compare w/ a 38mm 888.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
66s are done and ready to ship!

OK so single crown fork guys the Avalanche cartridges are being fitted into single crowns now so mini DHFs...
The weigt added 6 ozs to the 66 but also went from 245ccs to 50ccs in theleft leg so its just a lubricated leg now and so the weight is a push now...

Marzcchi 66s are ready to roll and the Totems are being worked on as well as 36s and the 40s also in progress...
Review shortly to follow

They have a shortened rod so if you decide to go to a dual crown you order a longer rod and the adapter kit it fits right into your other fork as well..

The same cartirdge as the bigboy forks and has HYDRAULIC bottom out as well.... HUGE plus...

And the parts that came out. These will retrofit the knobs as well for the adjusters and hopefully a replacement cap for the other lower leg to get rid of the rock nipple sitting there...

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
What is different about the oem fork vs. aftermarket? I thought they were the same.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oem (original equipment manufacturer) refers to parts that come stock on a bike. In this example, the one above has been cut and installed on a bike...then somebody got a really good deal on that bike, so they removed all the parts and sold off each to make a profit.

You are generally unlikely to get factory support (read warranty) on an oem part, unless it's on a bike. I guess in this case it doesn't matter, since you're removing and modifying the internals, but it's worth noting.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I just did the Avalanche cartridge on my 2010 Boxxer Team, so easy and the fork feels great. It feels better then both 888s I had, 2004 R with compression sleeve and 2007 RC2X. Better then the stock Team and WC.
I highly recommend it. Easy maintenence, user tuneability Craig does a great job and will spend time going over everthing with you to make sure the cart is tuned exactly for what you want/need. I am extremely satisfied/impressed :thumb::)

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Any news on when the 40 cart is coming out? Website said October. I blew my RC2 up and don't want to pay for a new one (cracked shaft) if I can get an AVY cart

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any news on when the 40 cart is coming out? Website said October. I blew my RC2 up and don't want to pay for a new one (cracked shaft) if I can get an AVY cart
Aside of the holidays Im pretty sure hes on it, theres some cool stuff going on for sure. Ill call him again I have a couple questions and need some input so Ill ask.... Inquiring minds want to know.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
I just did the Avalanche cartridge on my 2010 Boxxer Team, so easy and the fork feels great. It feels better then both 888s I had, 2004 R with compression sleeve and 2007 RC2X. Better then the stock Team and WC.
I highly recommend it. Easy maintenence, user tuneability Craig does a great job and will spend time going over everthing with you to make sure the cart is tuned exactly for what you want/need. I am extremely satisfied/impressed :thumb::)
I'm considering one for my 2010 Team, are you running the same spring you were prior to the Avvy Cart? Just wondering whether the Cart might change the spring rate I need to run.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I'm considering one for my 2010 Team, are you running the same spring you were prior to the Avvy Cart? Just wondering whether the Cart might change the spring rate I need to run.
Same spring, it is an open bath cartidge like a Marzocchi. Set and forget, change oil when needed.
The mid valve is a good option.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Any idea how many pre-orders hes got so far, he said at somewhere around 50 he'd start production. I was numero uno for ordering and Ive been waiting for 4 months so I imagine we've got to be close to the golden number. I cant wait to have it rebuilt.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
All I got was "we are trying to produce preorders, if we do not get enough, we will not produce it".

I'm uncomfortable with my money sitting on his desk, hoping to get a refund if it never goes into production...especially when PUSH can offer the same work for a little bit more RIGHT NOW. I'd be happy to give Avy my dollars, but I am so sick of dealing with attitudey owners who think I need to work to earn their products...F that. When he produces the goods, I'll bite, until then I'm holding onto my money...sorry!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
All I got was "we are trying to produce preorders, if we do not get enough, we will not produce it".

I'm uncomfortable with my money sitting on his desk, hoping to get a refund if it never goes into production...especially when PUSH can offer the same work for a little bit more RIGHT NOW. I'd be happy to give Avy my dollars, but I am so sick of dealing with attitudey owners who think I need to work to earn their products...F that. When he produces the goods, I'll bite, until then I'm holding onto my money...sorry!
Craigs not a huge company that can unload tons of cash in alot of different directions and not feel the pinch. He's gauging wether the product has enough demand to warant several thousand dollars in peices. He orders the parts but in bulk so be can keep the cost down for his production and for us. He has no track record of not refunding although I understand in this current economy and in light of recent vendor issues I can see your point of view.
craig has not had an issue where it pertained to refunding someone or taking there money and not delivering he's by the book and very solid.

Like yourself id like to see them in production already but I understand his side too so hopefully they see production shortly. Its going to be a good unit for sure...

Happy new year lol ..........:thumb:

Last edited: