Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Any news on the totem cart, is it in production or are we still waiting for more pre orders?

Night_Falcon

Chimp
Jan 2, 2011
I'm a little confused with avalanche's website.
Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to get everything I need for my Race 2010, with the knobs?
Thanks

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to get everything I need for my Race 2010, with the knobs?
Thanks
Pretty straight forward. These you need:
Cartridge-$299
Adapter kit-$89

A good option is the mid valve. $39

You really do not need the knobs but they are $59

Cart and kit. $388
Cart, kit and mid valve. $427

Cart, kit, mid valve and knobs. $486

Night_Falcon

Chimp
Jan 2, 2011
That's a little bit out of my budget...
I just wanted to hear from someone, is it really that much better than, say, a 2011 r2c2? I could upgrade to r2c2 for half the price

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
That's a little bit out of my budget...
I just wanted to hear from someone, is it really that much better than, say, a 2011 r2c2? I could upgrade to r2c2 for half the price

The r2c2 is just the 2011 version of the 2010 Team.

The Avy cart feels night and day compared to the way my 2010 Team was stock. Even if I had a Boxxer WC, Marzocchi 888, ect I would still use this cartridge. Nice thing about this cartridge is you can switch it to different forks.
Much less maintenance, user tuneability.
The knobs aren't need, it is adjustable with a flat head screwdriver.
The only thing I would suggest is to have the mid valve installed.

.arGh!

Chimp
Sep 17, 2010
germany
I just wanted to hear from someone, is it really that much better than, say, a 2011 r2c2?
The r2c2 is just the 2011 version of the 2010 Team.
The Avy cart feels night and day compared to the way my 2010 Team was stock.

the 2011 r2c2 will work fine. big plus: you can adjust hs-settings externally.
2010 compression damping didnt work because of a faulty rebound-piston. this was fixed for 2011 by rs. now the mission control dh works very well. i got my 2010 team fixed by a buddy. he manufacured a new piston and reshimmed it accordingly. big improvement, the fork feels so plush now and doesnt spike anymore. hsc-clicks do make a difference all of a sudden.. :]

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah Craigs revalve and tune made the stock boxxer alot better for sure and not too sure why manufacturing a new pistons going to help as the spiking was the valving not allowing the oil flow to pass. New configurations pretty well took care of that as well as added some seperation between the hi and low speed so they had less effect on one another...

The HSC always did make a difference you just have to be at speed to feel it stop dial it and then return to speed. Stock did as well it was the interference between the hi/lo that sucked...

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
What exactly feels night and day? And Why?
I can answer that!

Getting really Drunk and SH!T faced. Then waking up in the morning with a MAJOR hangover /headache.

Same as the avy cart. Feels awesome initially the day its ridden. Next morning POOF! its dead. :rofl:

Bullcrew. The tuning he does on the the misson control dampner on the HSC, is he just altering the shims inside the fork or does he actually physically add more "secrets and loving" to make it perform better?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I dont think he redoes the piston, I know for fact he reshims it and gives it a bit of spacing so the effects of the hi and lo speed are seperated a bit so when adjusting they dont effect each other like before as well as it opens it a bit to get rid of the spiking it had...I noticed it really bad on trail 5K, then when it was modded it didnt have me walking the front end around like before... NICE difference for sure.... Elbows and wrists thanked me too...

As far as the cart goes it really opens up on high speed, Its good around the parking lot and when you get flying it comes into its own. I know theres different configurations for set ups and style. All make a difference but all can be redone by the user easily with the right tools... (and a call to craig to get the 411 needed to swap shims)..

I really liked the boxxer with the mod, I was skeptical for sure but shut up once I rode it. The cart was the same I know he puts out stuff thats plush and reliable but 7 months on the cart and I have NO issues with it at all.... I love the way it handles. Im swapping chasis for reasons (Boxxer was flawless loved it and it wasnt damaged) but the avy cart will be in the new chasis right away...

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I don't doubt the performance gain from the mod for the dampner. However its just so hard to pay that $129 from your pocket when you know its a mod that you can do yourself, and save yourself the cash...

It would be kickass if Craig just sold the kit a lot less and do it as a DIY kit.

I Like the stock dampner a lot. Its very fine in increments for LSC and HSC however, I'd like the dampner to give a little more on the LSC department. I've been playing with the shims a bit.

.arGh!

Chimp
Sep 17, 2010
germany
Yeah Craigs revalve and tune made the stock boxxer alot better for sure and not too sure why manufacturing a new pistons going to help as the spiking was the valving not allowing the oil flow to pass.
this is just not true.
if a new piston gets you 100% improvement, a compressiondamper-modification just does 30%.

I Like the stock dampner a lot. Its very fine in increments for LSC and HSC however, I'd like the dampner to give a little more on the LSC department. I've been playing with the shims a bit.
2010 boxxer?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
this is just not true.
if a new piston gets you 100% improvement, a compressiondamper-modification just does 30%.
What are you basing a 100% improvement on lol, that would insinuate its locked up solid at 0%;)

If its a issue with flow on hte piston theres mods to fix as well as the holes could be opened a little or you could put the first big shim spaced with a smaller to allow it to flow a bit faster initially and a smaller shim outside of that like a flutter stack to allow it to push back a bit more on high speed while not being uncontrolled. Just a thought!

Your %'s are intresting for sure lol....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't doubt the performance gain from the mod for the dampner. However its just so hard to pay that $129 from your pocket when you know its a mod that you can do yourself, and save yourself the cash...

It would be kickass if Craig just sold the kit a lot less and do it as a DIY kit.
Im sure it is pretty straight forward, I wish I knew the configuration and details in depth. If I can find something or get info Ill post it or PM you...

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Thanks
You can also call Craig direct. He's a really nice guy and walked me through what I needed as I had similar questions. He didn't try to sell me things I didn't need.

I am in the middle of my upgrade and I have some info to share that I am not sure has been mentioned in the thread (I didn't read every page). I will post more when I have worked through it. Has to do with casting differences in the Boxxer lower that cause issues with the install of the Avy cartridge.

More later.......

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
The casting issue was only on some older Boxxer Race's it did not affect Teams or WC's from what I understand,and Sram was doing warranty on any affected lowers.

.arGh!

Chimp
Sep 17, 2010
germany
If its a issue with flow on hte piston theres mods to fix as well as the holes could be opened a little or you could put the first big shim spaced with a smaller to allow it to flow a bit faster initially and a smaller shim outside of that like a flutter stack to allow it to push back a bit more on high speed while not being uncontrolled. Just a thought!
im talking about the rebound-piston, did you get that?

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
im talking baout the rebound-piston, did you get that?
Yeah beleive it or not Ive seen a few in my time and have an idea of what they entail a little...

But since I apparently am not familiar with it please explain the mod or what his new piston does. Becuase last time I checked a piston seals a tube slides up and down has openings in it that let the oil slam the shims pushing them out of the way and if the holes are too small open them up a little for a little more bleed or reshim it with a small one against the piston so it has a little more freeflow to get it moving.

But then again I could be wrong!

I understansd it has been redesigned to allow more rebound for 2011 and was reshimmed so the adjustments make a more noticeable difference with each click.

Last edited:

.arGh!

Chimp
Sep 17, 2010
germany
“Basically we’ve changed the rebound piston to reduce the amount of compression force that it’s generating[...]."
thats official rs-pr.
2011 mission control dh is a working 2010 one wirhout the faulty piston and some minimal changes..

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Yeah beleive it or not Ive seen a few in my time and have an idea of what they entail a little...

But since I apparently am not familiar with it please explain the mod or what his new piston does. Becuase last time I checked a piston seals a tube slides up and down has openings in it that let the oil slam the shims pushing them out of the way and if the holes are too small open them up a little for a little more bleed or reshim it with a small one against the piston so it has a little more freeflow to get it moving.

But then again I could be wrong!

I understansd it has been redesigned to allow more rebound for 2011 and was reshimmed so the adjustments make a more noticeable difference with each click.

The only problem with the older style rebound assembly was that not only was it a rebound adjustment, but it was also creating compression forces aswell. Thats why if you compare the shims on the 2010 Mission Control to the newer 2011, the older had only 6 shims to compensate the extra compression caused by the rebound assembly. The 2011 Mission control has I believe 9-10 shims if i remember correctly.

Sram was able to "fine" tune the shim stack alittle better with this. Basically the 2011 is now Compression only compression, and rebound only rebound.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
“Basically we’ve changed the rebound piston to reduce the amount of compression force that it’s generating[...]."
thats official rs-pr.
2011 mission control dh is a working 2010 one wirhout the faulty piston and some minimal changes..
This doesn't mean the 2010's were faulty necessarily.

I honestly didn't notice any difference riding a 2010 wc to a 2011, however it can be the placebo effect, and me just being a duche and not wanting to admit to myself that the 2011 is such a huge improvement:rolleyes:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
thats official rs-pr.
:thumb:

Dont get me wrong Im not knocking sram stuff or anyone elses at all I like to try everything and theres alot of great stuff out there. Im familiar with suspension more so than I want to be or let on.
Either way Im sure your buddies piston is an improvement, and its good to see others correcting 1st year stuff besides the company!!! Good for him...:thumb:

Good to know Commencalguy thanks I havent popped open a 2011 yet.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got my Manitou 4way redone by Craig as well as a cart for the TOTEM... Will be in tomorrow and beat on this weekend.... Ill have a install tutorial the lower needs to be drilled a smidge to accept the lower bolt through on the cart.

It has mid speed, hydraulic bottom out etc... Ill post a exact oil height or approx. etc with pics... Easy to do....

This is going on the trek 77

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
the lower needs to be drilled a smidge to accept the lower bolt through on the cart.

So I can't put my old damper back in if I want to sell the fork later on? It would seem a bit silly to have a universal damper if that was the case.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I look forward to your opinion on the Totems with it if you get one.
Don't get me started on those Japanese forks.

The Totems are brutally stiff, RS just needs how to install bushes properly and they would be sweet. 2000 grit Wet and Dry paper to the high spots on the bushes makes a bit of a difference, a decent damper should make them faultless.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Almost ready to rock, Ill take it out tomorrow night for a night ride, I am not going to stick the Avy cart in till I get a little time on the Totem DH damper and dial it in to get a solid feedback on it... I will be installing the cart soon but I really want to put the toem internals through there paces first...

Rear shock is phenominal..... Feels amazing!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK got the inagural run on the toem with the rockshox DH damper.... I dont need anymore time on it, very few things ever really make me pass judgement quickly without giving it a chance but last night I dialed it and adjusted it and couldnt get it to feel right... Yes I have a yellow spring in it as well...

I did install the Avy cart tonight, Id have liked to have had a better experience with the DH damper but it just didnt want to play nicely drifting in and out of ruts and rocks...A good unit Im sure but didnt do well last night and Im pretty solid about control with a broken wrist I cannot afford to crash and it did not track on that run...12 miles with a ton of stuff from berms, ruts, rocks, etc... LOTS of tight hairpin 180 degree turns and some over that with rocks and blownout surface in the middle of the turn and 20 foot drops with washed out corners so staying put at speed and at night was pretty high on my scale of neccesity... :D

Anyhow

The crew last night

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, on your Sessions. When you go bike ridings. lolzs
Who was that aimed at? Confoozed :confused:
How are the Totem adaptors going? Seems like a long six weeks.

Edit- Bullcrew, That Trek is horrid, sorry but it looks like it was designed solely to smash nuts!

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Who was that aimed at? Confoozed :confused:
How are the Totem adaptors going? Seems like a long six weeks.

Edit- Bullcrew, That Trek is horrid, sorry but it looks like it was designed solely to smash nuts!
LOL yeah its not everyones style for sure, but its my play bike and it rips...
best 6" travel bike I ever ripped up on was a Chumba evo.... Uglier than hell but damn that bike was dialed....
Yeah the ugly little duckling got a RCS Ti spring, Deemax wheels and 2011 schwalbes to beat on so its ready to go huck the ugly tree... :D...