Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah Its on hold with all the new stuff and current stuff rolling out. It was a pretty BAD@$$ start though and looked good... Just wasnt right so its on the back burner while he keeps innovating the suspension upgrades.

Marketing and image can sell a product most of the time as long as its decent doesnt have to be great theres a ton of excuses as to why stuff isnt on par that can mend and little issues.
To consider Craig has a VERY DATED web site and his personal skills (lol) and has stayed in business this many years and hasnt had to make excuses for his products, says alot...
It would be nice to see him take the next step to a SOLID site that will now throw image to a already great product and reach new masses...

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Mine turned up this morning, still can't ride for another two weeks so I have plenty of time to service the forks/bike.
Must admit I'm surprised how heavy it felt but from the specs it doesn't add much(if any?) extra weight, also they only sell Golden Spectro at Harley dealers in OZ so that makes me think it is just fat blokes piss in a bottle.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Mine turned up this morning, still can't ride for another two weeks so I have plenty of time to service the forks/bike.
Must admit I'm surprised how heavy it felt but from the specs it doesn't add much(if any?) extra weight, also they only sell Golden Spectro at Harley dealers in OZ so that makes me think it is just fat blokes piss in a bottle.
What fork is it going in???
My boxxer WC is lighter with the avy cart than stock internals...:thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Totem motion control.
OOOOH your going to dig that, I have a totem with cart and Fn bomb @$$ pair to match up... Totem chasis with the cart... Craig has the valving dialed for the totems.

That chasis benefits from the cart because its so stiff it relys on damping completely vs a little flex to absorb deflect... I took mine through some rock gardens out in East county SD at mach 1 to see how it would track and that stiff chasis with the open bath was amazing... Mine didnt gain squat for weight really and considering your going to have 20mm less oil and the new lighter parts you should come in a bit under stock weight....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How do you think the Totem compares to the 35mm Boxxers for stiffness? I have never ridden on but often cop **** for having a DH frame with a Totem up front, I have owned a 2000 Judy XL and a Kowa 200Si and both were noodles so the Totem seems pretty stiff to me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow just got a refund on part of the postage cost as it was less that the quoted price, really didn't expect that. That's two more beers at F1 one this weekend, happy days!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Its going to twist a smidge more because of the single crown, they all twist a little compared to dual... I raced the 36 a 66 and would hammer both on most stuff.... They are stout units...
I prefer a single crown the feel is a bit more lively, I didnt hold back either took the same lines through rocks and drops as usuall.

Dont worry about flak, single crowns in the last 3 years are more than capable of the stuff we can throw at them.... Id rock it and dont worry about it!

Totem chasis kicks @$$....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If Magura made a 180mm for I'd be rockin that for sure, how they make a fork made in Germany for the same price as the **** that comes out of Taiwan I will never know, one set of seals in three years, amazing.
If the Avy cart would fit in my Wotans I would have a permanent boner!

If this doesn't fix my Totems they are goin in the bin and I will save for a Bos fork.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If Magura made a 180mm for I'd be rockin that for sure, how they make a fork made in Germany for the same price as the **** that comes out of Taiwan I will never know, one set of seals in three years, amazing.
If the Avy cart would fit in my Wotans I would have a permanent boner!

If this doesn't fix my Totems they are goin in the bin and I will save for a Bos fork.
I have a totem with it it fits like a dream... Works amazing.:thumb:

I also have no issue with seals on my totem or play... Super solid. I have a 2011 66 as well as the 2011 fox 180 van kash rc that I just sold and side by side by side Ive got time on all of em stock and avy carted...

Totem + CART = SOLID

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a totem with it it fits like a dream... Works amazing.:thumb:

I also have no issue with seals on my totem or play... Super solid. I have a 2011 66 as well as the 2011 fox 180 van kash rc that I just sold and side by side by side Ive got time on all of em stock and avy carted...

Totem + CART = SOLID
You have too much money, if I had all of that I'd have no time for internets.

Bikenation

Chimp
Sep 15, 2010
Hey! I am going to order an avalanche cartridge for my boxxer in exactly a week when I get payed, I have a few questions that I just could not find answers to.
I am about 190-200 pounds, should I run the blue firm spring that is rated for my weight with the cartridge or stick with the red medium spring I have been using in the past.

Available to me locally is Maxima cartridge fluid, it is rated the same as golden spectro but I was wondering if it is the same quality, it would be a shame to put this cartridge in and cheap out on sub bar cartridge fluid in the name of convenience.

Thanks a lot, this thread has been a huge help!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hey! I am going to order an avalanche cartridge for my boxxer in exactly a week when I get payed, I have a few questions that I just could not find answers to.
I am about 190-200 pounds, should I run the blue firm spring that is rated for my weight with the cartridge or stick with the red medium spring I have been using in the past.

Available to me locally is Maxima cartridge fluid, it is rated the same as golden spectro but I was wondering if it is the same quality, it would be a shame to put this cartridge in and cheap out on sub bar cartridge fluid in the name of convenience.
Thanks a lot, this thread has been a huge help!
Either way ride it and find out, I found out I could run a bit more pressure as the fork was more plush and moved more. So i upped a few PSI now and love it. I have mine at 20-23% range of sag and it seems perfect so far... It used to be right at 30-33% and needed a little something extra. I upped the PSI and I like it better now.
Just play with hte springs they swap out quickly and while mounted on bike....

Good luck and congrats :thumb:
I love having the boxxer/avy back on the ride... Missed it while a buddy was rocking it....

You should be fine with the maxima stuff, Ive used there stuff in hte past on stratos forks and other stuff, never had a issue... Golden spectro is recomended but not necessary.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Search Maxxima on here.
I think I strted a thread about it when I was in the same situation. Somebody posted a cool site that compares all the oils. the "WT" is pretty much very vague, there's another measuremnet that is a measurement, not a educated guess byy the companies.
If you find what I mean, re link it to here.:thumb:
Maxima is a fair way off compared to the oils Craig reccomends.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I know Push Industries use maxima fluids for their rebuilds, I tend to think thats a pretty solid vote of confidence.

I use Olive oil myself..

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm not saying Maxima isn't good(well I guess I am), just doesn't have the accurate two readings of the oils Craig reccomends.
One of tha measurements is the density, the other the oils thickness cosistincy with heat.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm not saying Maxima isn't good(well I guess I am), just doesn't have the accurate two readings of the oils Craig reccomends.
One of tha measurements is the density, the other the oils thickness cosistincy with heat.
That's good to know I never really tried to or wanted to understand oils viscousities etc...but its good to know the basics for sure or have someone who knows explain it....that's why we keep you around. Lol :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
PC-01 is good in some rear shocks, but is generally REALLY light for a fork fluid.

Maxima makes 3 different grades of fluids. Fork Oil, Fork Fluid and Rear Shock Fluid (RSF). The PC-01 I THINK is rebadged Maxima 3wt RSF. I know Maxima is the supplier for Pro Circuit, but they won't say exactly which fluid they distribute to them.

I always refer to the above chart and get the measured viscosity as close to stock or required as possible. Label weights may as well not even be there for any sort of accurate comparison between brands.

Motul and Motorex fluids are both really nice for open bath fork applications. They tend to be a little bit on the thicker side.

Bikenation

Chimp
Sep 15, 2010
The same shop that was able to get me pro circuit was able to order in golden spectro, so I picked up a couple bottles!
Thanks for all the help, can't wait to feel how well this cartridge performs!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Mine will be Running Motorex, if I find I'm happy with the performance I'll keep using it if not I'll try the Golden Shower.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just ordered for my 08 888 wc. Gotta wait about 5 days for assembly/mnfg, he said about 20 are ahead of me. Woohoo! Finally some front suspension worthy of my rear!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I like Maxima a lot. They are very high quality, they feel super slick and not pricey.

3wt RSF for Rocos
10wt RSF for DHX
5wt RFF for forks (7wt if more compression needed)

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I like Maxima a lot. They are very high quality, they feel super slick and not pricey.

3wt RSF for Rocos
10wt RSF for DHX
5wt RFF for forks (7wt if more compression needed)

Agreed. Maxima is a very high quality grade oil. I'm not a fan of Golden Spectro. I find it inconsistent, which can be felt dramatically in the Air sprung fork. Maxima tends to hold its contents a lot more consistent over time, temperature and usage.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
For ther lazy[edit]SAE Oil Weight
DO NOT GO BY LABLED OIL WEIGHT! Not only is this a poor way to decide which oil to use, but each manufacturer seems to be on a different scale. For example Maxima RSF 7wt is actually lighter than Spectro 5wt and Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5wt is actually heavier than Showa SS-8 10wt. This is not a judgment about the quality of these oils, just that the 'weight' label leads to a lot of trouble when trying to tune with suspension oils.

These problems can be seem graphically by comparing several systems to each other. Viscosity comparison chart Courtesy of Shell Oil.

Suspension oil is labeled by weight because consumers are used to thinking of oil (ie. motor oil & gear oil) in these terms. The SAE weight system has a very broad and vague viscosity range and does not even cover the viscosity range that most quality motorcycle suspension systems require. Another point of confusion is that motor oils and gear oils are rated for viscosity on the SAE scale at different temperatures, leading to similar viscosity oils having very different ratings. SAE J300 is used to define engine oils, while SAE J306 is used to define drive line (gear) and chassis lubricants.