Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
The damper itself will probably not weigh much more than what is in there. This big addition will come with oil. For example, having to run at least 300cc of oil in a Fox 40 (probably more like 400cc) vs 150cc for the damper and outer leg in stock form will add a whole bunch of weight.
Maybe some people will realise that a half pound on you bike for much better working suspension will make you faster then a half pound lighter bike with sh!t suspension.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are the 888's:
- Ready to ship?
- Do they work for the 07 WC?
Not yet hes working on the adapter kits. Apparently the 2010 boxxer kit then the 888 kits and then the misc... ones,
Fox 40s aqare going to be an entirely different animal, same concept but different layout to accomodate it.

The kits are listed and for sale on the site so they can be ordered and installed, Its a functioning product for the pre 2010 boxxers ready to go, in stock....

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
everybody is going to LOVE this until they realize it's going to add a lb to their fork. Any estimate on weight?

I'd pick one up in a heartbeat but I have no riding time on my current one, therefore no reason to switch!
Total weight of AVA cartridge is 269 grams, I will do a weight comparison as to what came out and what goes in and post it on our site.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Total weight of AVA cartridge is 269 grams, I will do a weight comparison as to what came out and what goes in and post it on our site.
Thats light, I had no idea. It did look a bit heavier but none the less well worth the upgrade from a stock unit to this...

Agead even if its a bit heavier (which it doesnt seem to be) it still has too many positive benefits not to run one.
:weee:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
C'mon Craig, kick it in gear!
Fat man needs a new set of internals for his 888 by June! Let me test 'em!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK the cartridge kit etc is from what know now apparently 60g - 80g heavier (Approx 2.5 oz) then it requires a bit less oil due to parts so you lose a little there.

So thats more than acceptable for the weight difference to performance gain. Cant say I've felt a boxxer or a fox 40 that felt remotely close to or as good as a DHF and this is a couple MM smaller set up to the DHF internals so it should feel pretty on par with that.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm waiting 4 the right deal on a Boxxer Race and will then install the WC air spring and cap myself and then send it to Craig for the cart.
Thats a high end fork on a budget :headbang:
LOL yeah that is, makes me cringe on what I spent..... A-hole ;)

Good for you and yeah that would pretty well sum up 1 bad @$$ fork... Im just waiting for the adpater kit for the new ones and the WCs on its way to perfection.....

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
OK the cartridge kit etc is from what know now apparently 60g - 80g heavier (Approx 2.5 oz) then it requires a bit less oil due to parts so you lose a little there.

So thats more than acceptable for the weight difference to performance gain. Cant say I've felt a boxxer or a fox 40 that felt remotely close to or as good as a DHF and this is a couple MM smaller set up to the DHF internals so it should feel pretty on par with that.
Have you actually ridden one yet or are you rabbiting on about "performance gain" based on a name? Cos I could be wrong but it appears to me that so far nobody actually has one of these things, and it also sounds like you haven't actually tried to tune the stock Boxxer beyond turning the dials.

Not to criticise the kit on its own merits, I think it's a cool idea, well laid-out and I'd expect it to work well simply because at the very least it'd be easy to pull apart and revalve if need be, but I'd legitimately be surprised if you couldn't get a stock 2010 Boxxer (or 40) to produce the same ride characteristics simply by playing with the internals a bit (not talking serious mods here, mainly just valving). If you'd rather pay a few hundred bucks for a damper kit tuned by an expert than mess around with a few dollars' worth of shims inside your own fork then fair enough, but IMO you're hyping this thing up well beyond what's realistic, at least as far as tuning potential goes.

At any rate, it unquestionably provides significantly more tuning potential for 06-09 Boxxers and any of the Marz forks, but as for the 40s and new Boxxers I'm not so sure.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Maybe some people will realise that a half pound on you bike for much better working suspension will make you faster then a half pound lighter bike with sh!t suspension.
Yeah, some people will. Sadly most wont though.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
\Im having relentless trouble with My10 Boxxer race dampers, how soon can you get one of these across the pond to me!!!!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you actually ridden one yet or are you rabbiting on about "performance gain" based on a name?
This product needed to come out 4-5 years ago. Imagine the upgrade over forks in 2003-2006! I think modern offerings have caught up or come close anyways.

I would be most interested if it offered the ride quality AND the reliability of other avy products. The ride is great but I loved the 2 year maintenance interval on the DHF.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
This product needed to come out 4-5 years ago. Imagine the upgrade over forks in 2003-2006! I think modern offerings have caught up or come close anyways.

I would be most interested if it offered the ride quality AND the reliability of other avy products. The ride is great but I loved the 2 year maintenance interval on the DHF.
I agree. I think the biggest improvement will be for the older boxxers, but that isn't to say it won't improve the newer forks too.

I think there will still be more maintenance on an upgraded fork when compared to a DHF but less maintenance when compared to its stock form. The fork is still going to have its original seals and wipers. Also the structure isn't the same bomb-proof structure as the DHF (regardless of model you are upgrading). It is reasonable to assume the internals won't need to be messed with as often as they needed to in the past but I would imagine it would be wise to keep up with the same maintenance intervals on seals and lubing the sliders and so forth that the original manufacturer suggests. None of that stuff is going to be changed, modified or upgraded by Avalanche.

Therefore, if you get a 888 done, it will require less "external" maintenance than a Boxxer because it has better seals. So it will really just depend on the fork you are using.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well based on the fact its a 20mm avy DHF cartridge for these insted of a 22mm and I ride a DHF weekly on a buddys bike as well as my 10 WC, Id have to say hands down is a better fork for the rocks and railing then mine. The damper in theory should be a pretty big improvement. :thumb:

Im willing to use it, go ride a DHF forget the fact of the weight just feel it in the rough and the speed sensativiy of it and mash stuff, Then ride a reg. New boxxers and fox forks are ahead of last year or the previous versions but the DHF if it were light would still be a very high end fork and rock. Weights been its biggest downfall, my 2010 BXR wc packs on high speed chattery runs through some pretty nasty rocks and super steep, I tried 2.5 oil as well and back stuff off to adjust. It rides better then tha 08/09s which I liked alot.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got a woodie today, been a long time since thats happened! :thumb:

450 ti spring, light valving, hi/lo speed and damn I forgot how good an avy feels on a bike...

HMMMMMMMM! ?????
Pulled it out to take a look at it, figured Id snap a pic as well... Hi/Lo mod Ill run the 5K trail tomorrow and see how it works on the chop of the 5k trail. I can say I moto'd stuff today and HOLY cr@p I forgot what an Avy feels like. Let alone the fork didnt pack on fast square edge hits it blew it up and over.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes they are $299 and install it yourself apparently its really simple.....

By the way the hi speed mod is insane and ofcourse the woodie is a monster...
Just got back from another ride and still amazed.
3 major runs on it not including the bike park (3 times) or the jump lines etc.... And it has handled everything like a dream, played with the hi speed and left the low speed wide open and nill effect on each other which was a massive bonus as well as ite literally stupid plush.
Did drift a corner tonight too hard and actually came out facing almost backwards when it straightened out feet still on the pedals... Pulled out of it high speed and LMAO... Considering the edge of the run I figured laughter was better than panick...

So YES the cartridge is available as a self install I ordered one up already and will be stuffing it in a older boxxer till the new adapter for the wc is available.... Then its replacing the guts of one of my forks....

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
So, is the kit available for the 2010 WC? Its not overly clear on the web page?

Edit: I over looked the answer. Looks available in July.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So, is the kit available for the 2010 WC? Its not overly clear on the web page?

Edit: I over looked the answer. Looks available in July.
The kit is available for the 32mm boxxer, the 35mm adapter kit is being hashed out right now literally so it will be available very soon then other adapter kits will follow.

I ordered up the 32mm kit and the cartridge to run till the adapters are done for the 2010 at which point Ill swap it over to it.

The Fox DHX mx kit (with hi/lo speed sensative) is on the cusp of availability right now literally as well. It will not use a new bridge for the new resivoir instead Craig worked his stuff and it replaces the propedal knob and internals so it will still fit tight clearance frames as well...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
are you suggesting a 40 or boxxer has sh1t suspension?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
are you suggesting a 40 or boxxer has sh1t suspension?

I dont think thats what hes saying at all , AVY has always designed for ride first regardless of weight. Now you can replace the internals with Avy stuff and have the light weight chasis of fox or boxxer. Go compare the ride of a DHF then go ride a 40 or a new WC which I have and can tell you the DHF is a monster in the chop and tracks amazing. Its biggest downfall has been weight but the new stuff allows a hydraulic bottom out on the forks so it ramps up and resists bottoming as well instead of a bumper its fluid and alot smoother.

There not crap at all and the rc2 cartridge as well as the new boxxers are way ahead of the previous versions for sure......

My Boxxer WC packed on really high speed shop and I couldnt get the hi/lo to play together nicely, the hi speed mod retunes the fork and seperates the 2 and now its alot better than stock by leaps and bounds. I can run a even lighter oil now and make it even more smooth than it already is BUT its still not as controlled in the chop and nasty as Joshs DHF.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i wonder how much lighter their cartridge will be for the new 888 Evo. according to Marz, there is 600cc of oil in the current fork. hopefully the Avy cartridge wont use as much

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
i wonder how much lighter their cartridge will be for the new 888 Evo. according to Marz, there is 600cc of oil in the current fork. hopefully the Avy cartridge wont use as much
There is 300cc in the damper side, and 80cc in the spring side for the 2010 888s.

The previous 38mm 888s ran 300cc/side.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
im just going by what Bryson told me this past weekend.
any idea on where to get a service guide?
Well, that's what came stock in all the 888 Evo's I've rebuilt, and that's what Marzocchi has been putting in on their rebuilds +/- 10cc for adjustment.

No idea on the service guides. Don't really need one if you're familiar with working on forks in general honestly.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK so the ultimate fork cost/weight/performance hands down would be a Boxxer Race with the avalanche cartridge in it, same as the team now a coil version monster.....
If I wasnt a air fork whore Id rock a race at the cheapo price and slap the self install in it....

Boxxer: (retail online)
race $679 add $299 (avy) = $978
team $939 add $299 (avy) = $1229
WC $1700 add $299 (avy) = $1999

Obviousley the forks can be had 2nd hand for less especially the races... Ive seen em for as low as $500 lately... So if picked up that way then $799 LOL

So for under $1000 you can have the same thing as a boxxer team with the avalanche internals (same as DHF) and come in at the same weight... Hmmmm seems to be a hell of a market for the new Boxxer races...

Heck even pick up an older race for $250 and slap a avy kit in it...Or a blown one for less......

LOL I had a Boxxer team 07 mint shape with blown internals lined up for $150, dude sold it on me... I had planned on that being the avy fork till the new adapters were available...

Last edited: