Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

Because a lot of guys have a POS used fork either laying around or on their bikes. I know I would rather spend $299 dollars and upgrade a crap fork with awesome internals then spend $500 for a mid level new fork.

I hear ya man.
I thought about doing the cart in my old 32mm boxxer but after i factored in new bushings and seals plus the fact that the lowers were kinda beat and knicks on the stantions, throwing the new cart in the old fork was not making sense.
So i picked up a 2010 boxxer race as new platform to start modding.

Full report with pics coming soon:thumb:

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
what about motorex?

The bottom line is that the AVY cart requires cartridge fork oil and most oils are not. Regular oil changes on 888's and boxxers do not call for cartridge oil. It does not foam up like regular fork oil but it is more expensive.
I know that motul and motorex are good stuff but when craig says to use golden spectro cartridge oil i would just follow his advice.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The bottom line is that the AVY cart requires cartridge fork oil and most oils are not. Regular oil changes on 888's and boxxers do not call for cartridge oil. It does not foam up like regular fork oil but it is more expensive.
I know that motul and motorex are good stuff but when craig says to use golden spectro cartridge oil i would just follow his advice.
Thank you..., i've used golden electro on other items gixxer 1k, mx etc and always happy with it...... good stuff...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No it doesn't. It's an open bath cartridge just like any normal average moto fork which functions on the same oil. The other fluid will just last longer and not thin out at higher temperatures the same way (temperatures which a MTB fork never sees). Maxima green label oil will work adequately, but there are better options, that's all.

No it doesn't. It's an open bath cartridge just like any normal average moto fork which functions on the same oil. The other fluid will just last longer and not thin out at higher temperatures the same way (temperatures which a MTB fork never sees). Maxima green label oil will work adequately, but there are better options, that's all.

When the guy who built and designed the cartridge says to not use regular fork oil due to inconsistant weights and foaming i'm sorta inclined to follow his advice and thus, go out on a limb and say its required.
However, you are correct in that i could throw in any type of fluid from standard 5 weight, ATF and hell, even olive oil from the pantry and it would still work .
Not trying to e-battle since i think we agree but rather remind people to seek out cartridge oil b\c it has some different stuff blended into it that Avy prefers.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
When the guy who built and designed the cartridge says to not use regular fork oil due to inconsistant weights and foaming i'm sorta inclined to follow his advice and thus, go out on a limb and say its required.
However, you are correct in that i could throw in any type of fluid from standard 5 weight, ATF and hell, even olive oil from the pantry and it would still work .
Not trying to e-battle since i think we agree but rather remind people to seek out cartridge oil b\c it has some different stuff blended into it that Avy prefers.
Loo,
You can run whatever fork oil you want to. Its just gonna be sitting all over your lowers and the ground anyway. :rofl:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You sir are officially not allowed to bounce on my avy cart\boxxer in the windrock parking lot. You can lust on it from a far buts thats it:rofl:
LMAO...

Yeah Craig has zero idea he just gets lucky, I remeber when we used to use pam spray oil in our forks and grease our brakes... Man what good days those were!:rolleyes:

My buddy Royce was so tough, when we used to put cards in our spokes he stuck baseball bats in his...;)

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
You guy's need to pull your head out of the ground. The oil in an open bath fork sees temps that are no greater than a hot summer day and compared to a shock, the shear forces on the oil are very low.

The only things you do need in an open bath fork is anti foaming and detergent agents, both of which are available in a hydraulic oil.

The only reason Craig suggests using the Spectro lube is because he's developed his valving for that oil and rightly so he suggests it, because although you could easily substitute another oil and have exactly the same response, no one here as far as I have seen has even mentioned the cP of the oil. Edit, and obviously he's found that the Spectro lube has good anti foaming properties.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You guy's need to pull your head out of the ground. The oil in an open bath fork sees temps that are no greater than a hot summer day and compared to a shock, the shear forces on the oil are very low.

The only things you do need in an open bath fork is anti foaming and detergent agents, both of which are available in a hydraulic oil.
The only reason Craig suggests using the Spectro lube is because he's developed his valving for that oil and rightly so he suggests it, because although you could easily substitute another oil and have exactly the same response, no one here as far as I have seen has even mentioned the cP of the oil. Edit, and obviously he's found that the Spectro lube has good anti foaming properties.

They almost all start with hydraulic oil as a base and add from there like yamaha has an addititive they add in their brew that conditions the seals they use specifically, others add/minus whats needed and this is seen more specifically in the maufacturers having the supplier rebrand and change a few items specific to there stuff so its not so general.
And yeah Craig may recomend Golden Spectro and us bikers may not see the heat build up that MXrs see but being that hes been doing this for 30 years Ill take his word for it... Not saying that other stuff is bad at all, just that Craig has been using this and if he recomends somthing Im pretty sure its been consistent and its been reflected in consistant damping...

Either way its not impossible to get so Ill just keep a couple quarts on hand in the bike shelf and not worry about it...

So yes there are suitable oils I listed a group that Craig has seen to be consistant and work well thats why I listed them so people can go to a mx shop and get them readily and have some...
He prefers Golden spectro but there are others that work Ill stick with recomended oil and if I cant I wont stray Ill get one of the others he stated for his product.

BTW not e-arguing just clarifying or adding to the hydraulic oil for others... Im pretty sure your already aware of this stuff... :thumb:

Last edited:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Im planning on picking one up, but doe anyone know of any sites that have the cartridges with free shipping still? Im trying to be a baller on a budget.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Just finished my 888 AVA Cart install.
Super easy to install, it took about 20 minutes total.
It feels killer, I can't wait to hit highland mtn.
I've only ridden it in the yard so far but it feels awesome rolling over the back porch steps! (up one set & down the other) almost felt as smooth as a table top jump.
I'm super impressed, as I have been with all of my Avy equipment!!
Another side bonus: my fork finally stopped making that sucking-off a donkey sound that it used to make...:thumb:
One of the few component companies that still actually include stickers too!
Craig is the man!

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Heck yeah PICS.... Is it a 38mm or 35mm??? I want a pic of the 38mm installed... How easy was the install???
They are 38mm models (08') Craig even asked me to take some pics , but I was so excited, I totally forgot... I'll be messing with Jeff's today, I'll try to post some up for ya. :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They are 38mm models (08') Craig even asked me to take some pics , but I was so excited, I totally forgot... I'll be messing with Jeff's today, I'll try to post some up for ya. :thumb:
Thanks man, I appreciate it...

Yeah went and rode last night, what a experience I hope to never repeat again... So Im moving back to carlsbad ca, and I went on one more ride with the guys here (never last ride or run; taboo) and I wasnt feeling well (fever puking etc even on trail) so I got tunnel vision it was 98 degrees at bottom and 85 at the top about a 12 mile ride 4k descent and some pedaling... Almost pased out had barely enough energy to walk...
Heres how its relavent, the suspension saved me SO MANY times last night it was stupid I was hitting the log jumps and veering over and smaking the top 4-5" of them straight on landing on roots and other logs almost no control and total tunnel vision (WAS WORST FREAKING RIDE OF MY LIFE) hit everything there was if it was a rock off the trail I would veer for it hit it and then come back on trail no common sense...
Ended up sideways tire on incline back in rut at full speed (36 th way past maxxed out) sliding down diagonal on a chute so steep the skins missing from my right shin (High inside side of bike) from rocks and brush... Feet on pedals the whole time MX style...

So if it werent for a dialed bike last night Id have been screwed I finished with no shirt poured water over me mashing rockgardens full speed to lower temp and try and get out without calling some to pull me out...:shocked:

NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Thanks man, I appreciate it...

Yeah went and rode last night, what a experience I hope to never repeat again... So Im moving back to carlsbad ca, and I went on one more ride with the guys here (never last ride or run; taboo) and I wasnt feeling well (fever puking etc even on trail) so I got tunnel vision it was 98 degrees at bottom and 85 at the top about a 12 mile ride 4k descent and some pedaling... Almost pased out had barely enough energy to walk...
Heres how its relavent, the suspension saved me SO MANY times last night it was stupid I was hitting the log jumps and veering over and smaking the top 4-5" of them straight on landing on roots and other logs almost no control and total tunnel vision (WAS WORST FREAKING RIDE OF MY LIFE) hit everything there was if it was a rock off the trail I would veer for it hit it and then come back on trail no common sense...
Ended up sideways tire on incline back in rut at full speed (36 th way past maxxed out) sliding down diagonal on a chute so steep the skins missing from my right shin (High inside side of bike) from rocks and brush... Feet on pedals the whole time MX style...

So if it werent for a dialed bike last night Id have been screwed I finished with no shirt poured water over me mashing rockgardens full speed to lower temp and try and get out without calling some to pull me out...:shocked:

NOT FUN!!!!!!!!!!

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
nice..it's just vinyl on vinyl...i don't understand what y'all mean by blue ones..blue on black wouldn't show very well...blue on yellow?..blue on red? :confused:
i made these for the other guys i ride with..

i may be persuaded to make more..;)
Figured you were printing them via solvent or ecosol printer (wide format) didnt thing figure they were overlayed vinyl... Instead of red go blue...

Do me a favor and apparently you have a EPS file jusging by the apt tape a plotter as well... Send me the file and Ill have them printed...

PMd ya my email... Ill make a few on a run different colors and anyone wanting one Ill do it for cost + shipping. I sold my printer so I have buddies with them I use now... Still good cost...

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
Figured you were printing them via solvent or ecosol printer (wide format) didnt thing figure they were overlayed vinyl... Instead of red go blue...

Do me a favor and apparently you have a EPS file jusging by the apt tape a plotter as well... Send me the file and Ill have them printed...

PMd ya my email... Ill make a few on a run different colors and anyone wanting one Ill do it for cost + shipping. I sold my printer so I have buddies with them I use now... Still good cost...
well..all i have is a small hobby type Rolland die cutter..we use it to make the aztech frame stickers.
it's not an .eps it's a .stx.. probably specific to the ****ty small die cutter..i'll send it anyway..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
well..all i have is a small hobby type Rolland die cutter..we use it to make the aztech frame stickers.
it's not an .eps it's a .stx.. probably specific to the ****ty small die cutter..i'll send it anyway..
see if you can save it as a eps, psd, tiff giff or other... If its native to that I may be able to use flexisign pro to save it as a image in another form....

If thats the case then Ill make a few different colors and put what I paid a peice along with shipping and send them to whoever...

Is it a cricket or some thing like that you are using or is it a roland...

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
see if you can save it as a eps, psd, tiff giff or other... If its native to that I may be able to use flexisign pro to save it as a image in another form....

If thats the case then Ill make a few different colors and put what I paid a peice along with shipping and send them to whoever...

Is it a cricket or some thing like that you are using or is it a roland...
oh..well i have the original .fla file i made..
your email didn't work..

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Just bigger, and Black and red or Black and light blue for me please. Don't bother with the "suspension" bit, just massive Avalanche MASSIVE:D well as long as you can fit it on a Boxxer leg, although I'd be happy to wrap it around in a spiral.