Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Initial impressions from riding around in the neighborhood park... ;)

On the rock "garden", i came in with my weight unusually forward, the fork ate up all the rocks and felt in complete control :rofl:

On a little drop, can't say much yet. Haven't really noticed a big difference... for now.

Buuuuuuuttttt, first real test ride taking place tomorrow at bromont!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Initial impressions from riding around in the neighborhood park... ;)

On the rock "garden", i came in with my weight unusually forward, the fork ate up all the rocks and felt in complete control :rofl:

On a little drop, can't say much yet. Haven't really noticed a big difference... for now.

Buuuuuuuttttt, first real test ride taking place tomorrow at bromont!
Wait till you bottom it the hydraulic damper will save your butt.

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
went to highland yesterday and gave it a good day of riding..i must say it's a huge improvement on the stock dampener..most noticeable was the way it smoothed out everything and stayed up in it's travel(mid valving works very nice)..the bit of hand fatigue I'd get was gone ..and i rode from 10:30 till almost 6:00(lot longer than i usually ride)
...still need some ride time at plattekill for some further testing ..hopefully this coming week before the worlcup.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
went to highland yesterday and gave it a good day of riding..i must say it's a huge improvement on the stock dampener..most noticeable was the way it smoothed out everything and stayed up in it's travel(mid valving works very nice)..the bit of hand fatigue I'd get was gone ..and i rode from 10:30 till almost 6:00(lot longer than i usually ride)
...still need some ride time at plattekill for some further testing ..hopefully this coming week before the worlcup.
I second that. It tracks through the rough stuff 100% better than the stock internals, & makes the small stuff disappear altogether. Cornering is a ton better too. Less fork dive makes a huge difference on steep cornering, holy moly! I love it!

Awesome job Craig!

Does anyone want to buy 3 slightly beat stock cartridges?

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
the cartridge is crazy! Really smooths out the rough stuff like the others said. It gives you just sooo much control when ploughing through rough sections, no more worrying about wiping out unnexpectedly. I could feel the vivid equipped rear end having a hard time keeping up with the fork. it was skipping around in some sections while the fork was able to track perfectly

avalanche cartridge, :thumb:

So i finally installed the AVY cart in my 2010 Boxxer race.
Craig put up some really good instructions on his site which i think is better than some photo copied docs that would get greasy anyway.

The install is straight forward and i think start to finish took maybe 30 minutes and thats with cleaning the lowers out real good and admiring the machining before i put it all together.

I only rode it up and down the street and off a 3' drop to flat.
It basically feels more like a moto fork if that makes any sense?
I'll report back when i beat on it proper like some repetitive high speed hits and some gnar..:D

Weights: New 2010Boxxer Race out of box with crowns 6.48 lbs
with W/C air cart and top cap 5.74 lbs
with air cart + Avalanche Cart 5.84 lbs

All weights include rubber bumpers and a star nut = Real World weights

Last edited:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
The only thing different between them as far as the damper is concerned is a litle plug that the rebound damper footnut bolts through. Pops out in 10 seconds with a little love tap and voila, everything is identical.

All you need are 2 parts.
The air cartridge assembly and the air top cap.
Thats it

However, it is best to do it to a new fork or one that has not seen much time.

Below is a 2010 Race that promptly had the spring internals gutted for the WC air cart and top cap.
I rode that for a while until Craig made available his comp/rebound cartridge and thats how she sits now. He set it up with his "DH race" tune for my 200 lbs lard butt and with the optional "mid valve" so as you can imagine i'm now sitting in MOAR SHIMZ bliss.

Last edited:

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
After my buddy and I blowing our bladders in our 40s within a few weeks of each other and my buddy's compression dampening taking a **** in his 40 at whistler I am considering one of these dampeners for my 40 when the kit comes out in a few months. I am under the impression that this is an open bath dampener correct? Are the 40 seals going to do a good enough job to keep any dirt out of the dampener being that the 40 was not designed to be open bath? I know 888s have two sets of seals to keep shat out of the dampener oil.
Also- what kind of maintenance would this dampener require besides oil changes? Are there o-rings and wearable parts that will need to replaced on a regular basis as with the sealed dampener that comes stock in the 40?

Where can you get a worldcup air cart? And what is the cost, fork + aircart + ava mod?

Any parts supplier (BTI and QBP in the US) stock all the parts for RS products so your local shop or favorite internet shop can get the air cart and top cap.

I dont know retail prices but if you dont have a "hook up" i would suggest looking in the classifieds as many guys buy a complete bike with a boxxer race on it and look to sell it cheap right away and get something else.

Its uber easy to install the air cart.
The avy mod is gonna set you back i think about $350 for the cart itself and the adapters for the 35mm boxxer.
The mid valve option is another $40 or so.

But for less money than a WC you can assemble your own and have the customizable AVY cart.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
one thing should be added that if the fork is not BRAND NEW, you will have to stick a new stanction on there too, as the spring will cause slight maring on the interior of the stanction and reduce the air spring's performance.

bikeman.com has the air piston, top cap and stanction listed on their website.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Just ordered a cart for my 06 boxxer since the damper blew up and RS was being a little richard about replacing it. Im psyched to put it into the bike and see what happens.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just ordered a cart for my 06 boxxer since the damper blew up and RS was being a little richard about replacing it. Im psyched to put it into the bike and see what happens.
I have just replaced my motion control damper and had I know how expensive they now are I would have gotten the Avalanche :mad:

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Realistically I think Ill end up switching out for another fork too next year too. I just kind of annoys me because I bought the boxxer rebuild kit and will now have no use for it. Looks like that will be going up on ebay.

Realistically I think Ill end up switching out for another fork too next year too. I just kind of annoys me because I bought the boxxer rebuild kit and will now have no use for it. Looks like that will be going up on ebay.

Well if your refering to the avy cart as the "boxxer rebuild kit" then you can take it over to your next fork if its a newer 35mm boxxer or 888 with new adapters.
Full of win?