Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I think he means performance wise.
I've spent some time on the EVO Ti, and have an Avy kit coming for my Boxxers(10)so I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
All you need are 2 parts.
The air cartridge assembly and the air top cap.
Thats it

However, it is best to do it to a new fork or one that has not seen much time.

Below is a 2010 Race that promptly had the spring internals gutted for the WC air cart and top cap.
I rode that for a while until Craig made available his comp/rebound cartridge and thats how she sits now. He set it up with his "DH race" tune for my 200 lbs lard butt and with the optional "mid valve" so as you can imagine i'm now sitting in MOAR SHIMZ bliss.

My mother's sister's husband's cousin's mechanic told me that the lowers for the WC and Team are different from the lowers that the race get hence it is possible to retrofit a team to become a world cup but you can't make a race a WC. But that's obviously not the case. Could you confirm that it is a straight gut and paste process without any machining or drilling to make a Race a WC?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
small update, after three weekends at northstar, and countless other vertical feet my damper side seal started weeping a little oil. so i just kept riding at northstar for the rest of the day, didn't notice any decrease in damping performance. cleaned out the seals last night and the fork feels as good as new.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Question for you guys since I don't want to call Craig during the weekend. once the damper is in the leg and the oil has been pulled in, can you cycle the damper by just pushing it up and down or do you have to unscrew the nut under the topcap and cycle soley that rod? Those who have seen the adobe file might understand what Im talking about.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Can anyone that has spent some time riding there new cartridge please write a review I am thinking about getting one but do not want to get burned like I did with the Elka shock I was never happy with the performance and never able to get it sorted out by Elka,anyone want to buy a lightly used Elka?..................................

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Simple its just as monsterish of a fork as day one.... it feels a bit buttery and damped in the parking lot like a open bath does and kills it in the nasty line as claimed. Do a mid speed valve to keep it from diving on the face of jumps and braking and its TOTALLY user tuneable and serviceable...,

Last edited:

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Ok, So I've had the Cart for 4 weeks, about 5 days of DH & 6 Xc Rides (yes, my DH bike is also my XC ride.By choice).
No malfunctions to date.

High speed hits feels really smooth. So smooth that bulldozer tracks at about 45 mph feel like a light vibration (I know, a strange test). I really can't describe it any better than that, but it's really nice to go that fast & still be in control.
Rock gardens are totally different (from the stock 888 internals). You almost feel like you are skimming off of the tips of the rocks, but are still in control.
Cornering is really spot on, & predictable, I can really get my weight on the front end & carve corners like never before, without the fork wallowing & wanting to send me over the bars. (as opposed to stock).
I've had an Avy rear shock for a little over 7 years, It's nice to have the front end finally matched to it. Peeps that I once chased down the mtn, are now chasing me! Wow, fvcking wow!

I'm not trying to bash the stock Zocchi internals by any means, before the cart I liked the fork a lot, but now I really love it!
Thanks Craig, money really well spent!

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys I have a 2010 Boxxer WC that I was thinking about doing the conversion on,anyone dropped the Avy cartridge in one of them?

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I´m rockin´this kit in a 10 Boxxer WC as well. And just W O W !!!!
It´s so unbelievably good! I thought the blackbox cart was desent, but it´s fra from it. The Ava cart is miles better. The front just stands still and feels almost dead compared to the stock setup on the Boxxer. The highspeed damping opens so nicely. I can do lines I´ve never been able to ride before, and the ones that almost tossed me of the bike when going warp speed, now feels safe. For the price of this UPgrade, I´d recommend it to anyone.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Yep that's right,I could just throw it on the credit card but I should probably sell off some stuff first.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Do a mid speed valve to keep it from diving on the face of jumps and braking and its TOTALLY user tuneable and serviceable...,
Is the midvalve worthwhile for 160lb riders? If it's something everybody should get why isn't it stock?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Is the midvalve worthwhile for 160lb riders? If it's something everybody should get why isn't it stock?
Rider preference...... It gives another option some like DJ (lighter riders) and others like to stay high in a corner and if your that style rider then its for you.... Its a preference thing it can be compensated by (in my case) by adding 10-15psi to the WC but then I lose the UBER plush mowing it has on the little small chatter so a mid speed I keep the same PSI and add a bit of stability without interfering with the comp/rebound.

I get to sit a bit lower in the front and dont dive down on certain trails when I come into stuff...

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
So I just ordered the cartridge,adaptor and midvalve kit even though it was'nt really in the budget, hopefully it is as good as you guys say.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
So I just ordered the cartridge,adaptor and midvalve kit even though it was'nt really in the budget, hopefully it is as good as you guys say.
I'm in the same exact boat, but it's cheaper than a new fork and I really need something better in the front, as that's the only weak part of a otherwise kickass bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I plan on doing a tuning thread as soon as I get back to normal life after relocating back down here... I want to do a recomended shim or a starting point for basics to give a base platform like MX has as well as oil heights etc with all the technical jargon and goods put in lamens terms and all simple if one chooses to utilize the adjustability of their fork. As well as input from other riders ie weight etc and what they are running comp/rebound their weight etc to possibly accomodate others to the right starting point....