Quantcast

Avalanche Pros and Cons

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
Hey,
I'm just wondering about the avalanche forks, i was looking at the DHF-8.0 USD one, from what i see on the forums it seems to hold its own very well.
I'm aiming to get a shiver DC or marz 66rc2x
Is avalanche worth considering as well?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, - first, I am 100% TOTALLY biased ! OK, - now I have said it. YES, - I think Avy forks are worth the $. I think the way they work is awesome and IMO it is the best working forks out there - but again - these discussions are endless and of course depends on people - but I would say "go for it". I think it feels much better than the Marz forks - but of course they also cost some $$$.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
As much as I hate to say it. I don't think Avalanche forks are worth the money. You can get a Shiver for half the price and tune it perfectly to your needs. ...D

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Based on the one time I tried an Avalanche fork, I'd say you should definitely consider one. The DHF series weighs around 8 pounds, which isn't bad, and it feels better than ANY other fork on the market. I've tried every fork out there, and the Avy definitely feels more plush, more controlled, and overall higher quality than everything else. Plus, it's cheaper than a Fox 40 or the Manitou Travis. If you can't afford the Avy, try the new Marz. 888.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
BMXman said:
As much as I hate to say it. I don't think Avalanche forks are worth the money. You can get a Shiver for half the price and tune it perfectly to your needs. ...D
The Shiver bottoms out easily and is not very adjustable IMO

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
seismic said:
The Shiver bottoms out easily and is not very adjustable IMO
sigh.....guess you havent discovered the virtues of oil height adjustment like the rest of us..... :p

a con would be theres only one guy you can deal with, theres no distribution or dealer network. Although with the Shiver now defunct, i guess Avy and White Brothers would be my two inverted choices, both being direct purchases. I hear WB are really good to deal with under EKO sports.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
seismic said:
Sorry...but for me it is not enough to be able to change the springs and oil height.... ;)
well thats why i added air pressure tuning to make up for lack of compression tuning. You get what you pay for, but it's enough for most IMO, if you dont mind cracking open a quart.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Having sold my DHF8.0.....

only reall down sides as far as im concerned are weight and strength. But that was enough to send me elsewere

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I've been riding the DHF dual damper all season, coming from a shiver, I like it more. Whether it's worth the extra money over a shiver, is up in the air, but I did notice better performance. However, it is a bit hefty, that's only reason I would sell it.

Put it this way, if you're on a budget, go for the shiver, you definetly won't regret it. If you have some extra coin floating around, why not jump for an avalanche. If you don't like it, you can find tons of people who will.

-Adam

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I've felt a DHF-7 and an MTN-8

The MTN-8 was the best feeling fork I've ever felt, but alas, it's $3300, and weighs about 15 pounds

the DHF-7 TI, on the other hand, feels almost as good, weighs 8.2 pounds in its lightest configuration, and is realistically priced. I plan on getting one.

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
Thrillkil said:
The MTN-8 was the best feeling fork I've ever felt, but alas, it's $3300, and weighs about 15 pounds
whoa that is insanely high lol.

well lets see, I'm still building that custom Faith 1 if any of you read that thread.
Avalanche seems like a great more plush fork, but obviously the more money that you put in, the nicer results come out. duh!
What I don't like is that there is basically only one supplier for Avy.

I think for now im gonna stick to the Shiver, because 1. most people know how to adjust it and 2. have extra parts for it, whereas the avalanche (i dont think has a distributor in Canada) is harder to maintain.
The stickers on the shiver are cool too :thumb:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Between what you said, I'd certainly go for the Shiver. I have one. It's great. Low maint., great feeling. I've never been overly impressed with Avalanche stuff in the past, but that's just me. For the most part, I don't think it's worth the money.

One more question: why not an 888?

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
yeah the dhf7-ti is a top racers fork sadly its got a weight limit and im over it.

yeah strength seems unliley dont it. I Dont wish to bad mouth avalanche since i've had fantstic service and loved their products, but never the less i did crack my uppers. Craig sorted me out pronto though.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I have an original production run dhf ti. it is a great great feeling fork. Need to take it to a Moto-x shop to have them oil her up and give her some new bushings and seals.

The dhf 8 is basically a lightened up kx 85 fork. You can take it to any moto-x shop that has an idea how to tune a fork and they can work on it for ya. There's more moto x shops that know what there doing in denver then bike shops that can work on a marz fork.

I highly suggest the dhf ti for anyone riding, racing, doing some decent freeride but not hucking 40 foot cliffs.

Good luck!

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
thanks for the input everyone

i don't really want the 888 at the moment cause on the north shore its so damn common lol!
shiver performs just as well (i think 888 is better tho)
so yeah basically its a preference thing to me :D.
I'd probably test ride/buy an avy if there was a dealer here in canada.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ask Craig if there is a dealer in Canada. I love my DHF-8, the only minor issue I have is the weight, @ 10.5lbs it's not the lightest out there, but I love the performance. Shivers are nice forks and a good bang for the buck. If you fit in the weight bracket you can always go with the Ti version and shave some weight.

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
What are the advantages of having a inverted fork? Ive never really been told, and can you guys tell me about the difference between the avalanche forks. Go-Ride was kind of confusing. Thanks

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I ran an '02 Shiver right up to the start of this season, and switched it up to an Avy DHF Ti8 single damper. Shiver was still going strong, but the Avy was too good of a deal to pass up on...
Ths Shiver rocked, and Avy was the only one better, IMO. They are both great forks. Go with whatever you can afford to sink your money into, neither will let you down.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
clandestine said:
stupid US only :D
If he doesnt sell avy to canada
Shiver it is then! LOL
You can get the parts from any moto-shop...probably a lot less money for seals and bushings compared to real "marzocchi" seals/bushings.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Since when did Craig say he's not selling to Canada? Must be recent because a friend got one not too long ago direct.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
clandestine said:
whoa that is insanely high lol.

well lets see, I'm still building that custom Faith 1 if any of you read that thread.
Avalanche seems like a great more plush fork, but obviously the more money that you put in, the nicer results come out. duh!
What I don't like is that there is basically only one supplier for Avy.

I think for now im gonna stick to the Shiver, because 1. most people know how to adjust it and 2. have extra parts for it, whereas the avalanche (i dont think has a distributor in Canada) is harder to maintain.
The stickers on the shiver are cool too :thumb:
Its not harder to maintain thats for sure. It uses high quality motocross bushings and seals that last much longer than comparable marzochi products. It also uses all annodized parts, including the dampener rod. You'll notice on Zochi forks that the rod starts to deteriorate and shed almost. Thats metal parts that are entering into your oil. Which means more wear and tear, and means its much more often that you have to change the oil. Avy says you shouldn't need to service the shock for 1.5 years which is much longer than Zochi.

As for durability get the triple pinch bolt lower crown and 45mm upper tubes and you have a fork that is more durable than anything on the market.

I'm not bashing Zochi, as i ride these forks as well, but Avy is by far a much higher quality and better feeling fork. So naturally you pay for it.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
snowskilz said:
I have an original production run dhf ti. it is a great great feeling fork. Need to take it to a Moto-x shop to have them oil her up and give her some new bushings and seals.

The dhf 8 is basically a lightened up kx 85 fork. You can take it to any moto-x shop that has an idea how to tune a fork and they can work on it for ya. There's more moto x shops that know what there doing in denver then bike shops that can work on a marz fork.

I highly suggest the dhf ti for anyone riding, racing, doing some decent freeride but not hucking 40 foot cliffs.

Good luck!
Same goes for servicing the DHF 8 MT or MTN series forks. By the way my DHF 8 MT is for sale....

I reccommend it for hucking 40 ft cliffs, not that i would ever do that. The fork would though.