Quantcast

Avalanche shock sevice.

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
Hello

I want to service my avy shock. The question i have is about the bumperplate. it is threaded to the sealhead internaly and has 2 holes in it. When i turn the bumperplate it won't lift/come loose. Wat am i missing?

Thank's

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Curious. Back in the day I tried to figure this out too, but gave up. Was thinking it was some kind of pin-spanner, but that didn't work.

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
Problem solved. I increased piggyback pressure to max and was able to unscrew the bumperplate from the sealhead.
I had removed the nitrogen so there was not enough pressure on the sealhead. When you turn the bumperplate the sealhead turns with it.

I run a woodie btw ;)

Thank's guy's

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
I am not going to send it in for an oil change. You can watch any video on mx shock service like the one frome racetech.
Only the bumperplate is not the same.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
its got Loctite on it, if you warm it up a little bit it also unscrews easily.
personally id prefer a setscrew in the pin spanner hole and hand tight.

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
IMG_20210109_100425.jpg
ad
So the dustcap/bumper plate is screwed to the seal head. A circlips keeps the sealhead in place. To remove the clip you need to push the sealhead down a little. Same fore the bladder.

Last edited:

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
no hes actually an unreasonable shit bag, who will blow up on you if you asked about something like this or a manual for this shock or what the ifp depth should be on the ifp version.
I have heard this before. I can only say that I don't share this experience/opinion. I do only communicate through email with them. So they can read and answer when they see fit.

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
If you only do an oil change, isn't easy to just measure the ifp depth when disassembling the shock? Have the damper extended fully, remove ifp pressure, open reservoir, measure.....?

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
Was that easy? Can I just unscrew the assembly?

And what oil are jou guys running in your avy shock?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How do you know how much Nitrogen to put back? I was unable to get that answer?

Avy
Heh..if I was home I could look at my avy docs, I believe they spec the pressure on it, but I may be mistaken. Be 10 days before I can. Generally the non-twin tube shocks are 250-600psi, but yeah, you need to know for the specific shock.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Heh..if I was home I could look at my avy docs, I believe they spec the pressure on it, but I may be mistaken. Be 10 days before I can. Generally the non-twin tube shocks are 250-600psi, but yeah, you need to know for the specific shock.
You got Avy Doc’s? I don’t have that SRAM.

I remember that I need’ed 800 lb Spring,Avy goes no higher than 700 lb. I had to get a Romic 800 lb Spring,further, I Could Not turn more than 1 complete turn for PreLoad Or She would Smack Hard! I had it happen to me. Fear Not,that was for a Super 8,has Nothing todo with this Post.

After that PreLoad matter,it was all good,It is a wonderful shock. It had todo with the Bike and me coming in at 225 pound’s.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You got Avy Doc’s? I don’t have that SRAM.

I remember that I need’ed 800 lb Spring,Avy goes no higher than 700 lb. I had to get a Romic 800 lb Spring,further, I Could Not turn more than 1 complete turn for PreLoad Or She would Smack Hard! I had it happen to me. Fear Not,that was for a Super 8,has Nothing todo with this Post.

After that PreLoad matter,it was all good,It is a wonderful shock. It had todo with the Bike and me coming in at 225 pound’s.

Avy
Not readily available, I’m stuck in quarantine

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got a chance to check my tech docs, two reservoir Avy shocks, ones at 200, the other's at 250. Somewhere in that range is probably decent. It's probably better to err a little higher to avoid cavitation.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Got a chance to check my tech docs, two reservoir Avy shocks, ones at 200, the other's at 250. Somewhere in that range is probably decent. It's probably better to err a little higher to avoid cavitation.
Jm, is that a Chubbie? Mine is the old one with a Hose and a Larger Tank. For some reason I thought “I Heard” that it was 400? Again,I never found out,but this is a great thread.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jm, is that a Chubbie? Mine is the old one with a Hose and a Larger Tank. For some reason I thought “I Heard” that it was 400? Again,I never found out,but this is a great thread.

Avy
Yeah, not a DHS.

thova

Chimp
Jan 6, 2021
My pressure was on the setup chart.
160psi for my setup. Which is the minimum pressure I thought.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Setup chart
Hey all,was reading a Fox Rear shock post and read someone say, “No Shock Need’s Nitro,Air is Fine”.

I mean,water/moisture is the problem with Air,and the weight correct? Not a deal breaker.

I have never put Air in my Avy. Nor I have I ever ask’ed Craig. Have any of you and would it not be fine In a pinch?

thova,Thank You on set up chart.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hey all,was reading a Fox Rear shock post and read someone say, “No Shock Need’s Nitro,Air is Fine”.

I mean,water/moisture is the problem with Air,and the weight correct? Not a deal breaker.

I have never put Air in my Avy. Nor I have I ever ask’ed Craig. Have any of you and would it not be fine In a pinch?

Avy
The Fox DHX came with an adjustable reservoir, you could adjust air pressure and volume. It was good enough then. Lots of shocks use regular air or have adjustable reservoirs. You'll get the best results doing a vacuum bleed and nitro for no water vapor, as in when you start heating up the shock it'll be a little more consistent, but in the big picture, this is not a day-to-day concern when riding. All sorts of service manuals/procedures say it's perfectly fine to use air if that's what you have, over nitrogen. The Fox DHX was one of the shocks I had Avy-ed.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The Fox DHX came with an adjustable reservoir, you could adjust air pressure and volume. It was good enough then. Lots of shocks use regular air or have adjustable reservoirs. You'll get the best results doing a vacuum bleed and nitro for no water vapor, as in when you start heating up the shock it'll be a little more consistent, but in the big picture, this is not a day-to-day concern when riding. All sorts of service manuals/procedures say it's perfectly fine to use air if that's what you have, over nitrogen. The Fox DHX was one of the shocks I had Avy-ed.
You think there is any difference between the two regarding seepage?

I suppose One can only tell how much water vapor has occurred on service? Or are we talking too small amount of water to matter?

Avy

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
air is 78% nitrogen. You'll be fine. I went to the ends of the earth to refill my first avy shock with nitro (iirc it was 250psi). I would just use a shock pump and keep it at the right pressure instead if I had another. Better to have correct pressure than correct air composition.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
air is 78% nitrogen. You'll be fine. I went to the ends of the earth to refill my first avy shock with nitro (iirc it was 250psi). I would just use a shock pump and keep it at the right pressure instead if I had another. Better to have correct pressure than correct air composition.

But that would mean people who fill their tires with pure nitrogen are suckers

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Avy
There's an episode of dialed where the fox factory tech pumps air with a hand pump into the res of a dhx2 at a world cup inside of a trailer where it would be incredibly convenient to have a bottle of N2.

Due to moisture pressure will rise more per a given temperature rise.

Your shocks rod pressure will increase with heat more than it already does

Your bikes linkage cuts it into 1/3rd....
I'd wager you wouldn't notice.

I was joking around with a group having this discussion over on thumpertalk about the rise in rod pressure compensating for the reduction in viscosity when shock temperature goes up.