Quantcast

Avalanche vs. CCDB

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I am looking for a new shock, i dont like my dhx 5.0 very much so its time to replace it. I am looking at either an avalanche or cane creek double barrel. I weigh around 230 pounds and the shock will be going on a swd 216 so its a high single pivot design. Please give me your opinions on both shocks.

Edit: I am also considering a rocco world cup

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Avalanche based on durability and very nice and simple adjustment range with the Hi/Lo speed comp adjuster. The DB is said to have a huge range a adjustments too and be a very nice shock indeed. I think you cant go wrong which ever you choose. One more vote for the avy from me.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
avalanche is the way to go if you want something you want to but and forget about. Even though the CCDB is superior, because it works really well and has an infinite amount of ajustment, it's also lighter, buuuut much more expensive. If it lasts... I don't know. I've had my avy instaled around two years now, and haven't touched it since.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
...This thread already exists somewhere, and is several pages. Go look it up.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Been riding and dialing in a buddy's DB on his 216 for the last couple weeks. It's amazing. Hi/lo rebound adjustment is the best thing ever. And honestly, the DB is not hard to dial in. We've done a minimal amount of trailside readjustment, and it feels like the best parts of my current DHX and the best parts of my old Avy together.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Avalanche has proven durability, I think my Avalanche shock is like 4-5 years old and it's still running strong, one thing is you should get it rebuilt every year, like most moto-x shocks it is nitrogen charged, and nitrogen requires a recharge about once a year depending on your riding level. I'd advise getting the Avalanche with titanium spring and hi-lo compression adjuster.

If a defect happens (mine had a defective spring) , Craig is very supportive and cool.

It's pricey, although for a custom tuned top of the line shock you can't go wrong.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
CCDB its so plush but will NEVER bottom out, its the real deal-i am talkin about 4 inches of sag and giong off an x factor ramp on a loading dock with no problems. TO FLAT

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
trust me i wont, my fork hated it. no pics i did not have a camera at the time, i just was lookin to find out how much it would handle. i highly reccomend it.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
What do you guys think, cause I was thinking of an Avy or a CCDB but my question is how about just sending my DHX out to PUSH I have heard really good things about them.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
CCDB its so plush but will NEVER bottom out, its the real deal-i am talkin about 4 inches of sag and giong off an x factor ramp on a loading dock with no problems. TO FLAT
That a funny quote, you could do the same thing with a properly tuned first generation fox shock.

I think that the Avalanche probably has the best big drop performance on the market that I could think of, the only disadvantage is the weight of the shock, that's why I advise the titanium spring which is more durable than steel.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
What do you not like about your dhx? DB, Avy, and Push all have unique positive characteristics.

I like the DHX its a good shock this is my second 5.0.. I am 235lb I dont go huge on the drops 5-8ft but my main thing is big rockgardens which is all east coast type riding. I feel like the DHX could be a little more responsive maybe I dont have it setup the way I need its not like I am a Susp guru.. But I have talked to Push and I really dig the way they incorprate your weight rising style etc etc... But at the same time I really like AVY stuff and the DB is real nice just wondering if I would benefit more from a AVY or DB and it would be better to invest my $$ on one of those instead of sending the DHX to push.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I like the DHX its a good shock this is my second 5.0.. I am 235lb I dont go huge on the drops 5-8ft but my main thing is big rockgardens which is all east coast type riding. I feel like the DHX could be a little more responsive maybe I dont have it setup the way I need its not like I am a Susp guru.. But I have talked to Push and I really dig the way they incorprate your weight rising style etc etc... But at the same time I really like AVY stuff and the DB is real nice just wondering if I would benefit more from a AVY or DB and it would be better to invest my $$ on one of those instead of sending the DHX to push.
Thats one of the dislikes I have with the shock, I am also around 230 pounds and the shock just doesn't feel very responsive

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
you can't go worng with the DB, its the best shock ever, I'm using one on my Bottlerockt, and is awesome. also have you asked Cane Creek if the DB will fit your frame?

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
I got a DB on my Bottlerocket right now, and just waiting for them to ship one for my new blindside. Poor thing just sits in the shop right now
waiting for past 2 weeks.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Well considering Ohlins (maker of the DB) is the winningest damper manufacturer in motorsports history, I'd say go with the CCDB. I can't wait till I can pony up for one.

Not to mention everyone who I've talked to who has one says "OMG best thing ever".

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
OK, having ridden alot in the DHX and Avy (couple seasons ago on the Avy), I feel that the single greatest advantage the DB has is the seperately adjusable hi/low rebound. This makes a huge difference anywhere that's not dead smooth.

If you like to pin it over rough, corner hard in loose, and there are decent sized drops all on the same trail system, you're asking a DHX to do something it can't do. You'll have to set your rebound fast and deal with getting bucked on medium to large hits or set it slow and deal with less traction in the turns and stutters.

With the DB this compromise is unnessesary, you can set the low speed fast and the high speed slow and have the best of everything everywhere.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
OK, having ridden alot in the DHX and Avy (couple seasons ago on the Avy), I feel that the single greatest advantage the DB has is the seperately adjusable hi/low rebound. This makes a huge difference anywhere that's not dead smooth.

If you like to pin it over rough, corner hard in loose, and there are decent sized drops all on the same trail system, you're asking a DHX to do something it can't do. You'll have to set your rebound fast and deal with getting bucked on medium to large hits or set it slow and deal with less traction in the turns and stutters.

With the DB this compromise is unnessesary, you can set the low speed fast and the high speed slow and have the best of everything everywhere.

Thanks for the info.. Yeah so like you said i guess i feel it the most when I am pinning on the rough and rocky stuff, huge drops not so much i am really not doing much than 8ft drops.. So thats why I was asking should I invest in sending the DHX to PUSH they claim there Tune will help with this.. Or should I just upgrade to a DB. Dont get me wrong I am a fan of the DHX but know that I am pushing myself more I feel like I need some more from the shock. Just wondering if Push can help me out or just go Bling and get the DB.... My wife is gonna kill me..

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Thanks for the info.. Yeah so like you said i guess i feel it the most when I am pinning on the rough and rocky stuff, huge drops not so much i am really not doing much than 8ft drops.. So thats why I was asking should I invest in sending the DHX to PUSH they claim there Tune will help with this.. Or should I just upgrade to a DB. Dont get me wrong I am a fan of the DHX but know that I am pushing myself more I feel like I need some more from the shock. Just wondering if Push can help me out or just go Bling and get the DB.... My wife is gonna kill me..
I haven't felt a Push for about 4 seasons now, so I can't speak for the newer stuff. Regardless, Pushing a DHX will not provide independent control over hi/low rebound.

I've owned and ridden Fox RCs, AVAs, Stratos El Jefes, DHXs, Romics, Avys, Pushed Fox RCs, and lots of other stuff. The DB adds a completely new level of terrain adaptability with the ind. hi/low rebound that honestly qualifies it as better than everything else.

The RS Vivid should be very cool also, but I would give that shock a season or two before purchase. The DB is already a few seasons quality/durability tested and it is beautifully made.

Oh, you could tell your wife that the DB is a safety consideration as the DHX is just not suited for big guys on varying terrain :twitch: