Quantcast

Avalanched Bomber CR anyone?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone done this yet? I've just placed an order with Avy to have a new Bomber CR SSDed. I know the bomber is just a rebranded Van RC, still curious if anyone put this Avy mod on a modern trail bike lately. My current fatshaft RC4 feels too spikey in fast successive hits.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Anyone done this yet? I've just placed an order with Avy to have a new Bomber CR SSDed. I know the bomber is just a rebranded Van RC, still curious if anyone put this Avy mod on a modern trail bike lately. My current fatshaft RC4 feels too spikey in fast successive hits.
Ordered a tune a couple of weeks ago for a Van Performance/RC on my Glory that currently feels like ass. Waiting for them to have an opening in their schedule to send it in. For those of you that have used Avy before, how do their tunes match up with their beginner/sport/expert/semi-pro/pro designation? If I raced I'd probably enter expert for a local race, but at a national I might go down to sport to feel it out.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Have a couple van RC's with the SSD modification. They work great. The improvement on square edge hits was really noticeable. Used them on a balance and megatrail. I also have an RC4 that I like a lot, but that one has the push MX bridge tune.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Not too much to tell, but for the price of stock higher end shocks, you can get a van RC set up to your particular spring rate by avalanche. Never missed not having a lock out lever on either platform. Took a little getting used to changing from the balance to the megatrail, due to the difference in progressivity of the two bikes. The push tuned RC4 and the SSD van RC seem to converge on similar performance traits that feel "correct" to me, and very similar to the 11/6 as well.

Had the SSD done to a Rockshox, and while it felt correct, it made a pronounced clunk on the rebound stroke. Hated that one.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Bomber CR and RC4 parts are interchangeable. Did you consider having Avy swap parts around so you have a small shaft RC4?

Otherwise, I was happy with my Avy'd Fox RC.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ordered a tune a couple of weeks ago for a Van Performance/RC on my Glory that currently feels like ass. Waiting for them to have an opening in their schedule to send it in. For those of you that have used Avy before, how do their tunes match up with their beginner/sport/expert/semi-pro/pro designation? If I raced I'd probably enter expert for a local race, but at a national I might go down to sport to feel it out.
IMO, if you are blowing smoke and pretend you ride as hard as a pro (filling that out on the form), it’s going to feel pretty bad. If you are honest, it’ll be damn good and you’ll be able ride it hard.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
For those of you that have used Avy before, how do their tunes match up with their beginner/sport/expert/semi-pro/pro designation?
Craig will call you and discuss what you want from the shock, and will come up with ideas and seek your feedback on trade offs.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Bomber CR and RC4 parts are interchangeable. Did you consider having Avy swap parts around so you have a small shaft RC4?

Otherwise, I was happy with my Avy'd Fox RC.
He advises against RC4 mods, especially the fat shafts, prefers people to go the Van RC / Bomber CR route.

have you run the CR stock? contemplating one for my mid travel bike. seems like good bang for the buck.
I am going to put it on the bike for a week of riding before sending it in.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Craig will call you and discuss what you want from the shock, and will come up with ideas and seek your feedback on trade offs.
From what I gather that should be quite the experience ;)

Just curious as to what their baseline is. On my best days in my 20s I could keep my friends that raced semi-pro in sight. I'm in my 40s now and don't always ride full out, mostly due to not having 20 year old fitness anymore and having a more healthy respect for the long term impact of major crashes. Additionally there's a sizeable difference between 40+ expert at a local race and 19-24 expert at a national.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
have you run the CR stock? contemplating one for my mid travel bike. seems like good bang for the buck.
The Van Performance that came on my Glory sucks on that bike. Medium/large hits feel both harsh and uncontrolled. Increasing low speed compression just makes the harsh part worse without significant improvement to support.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah, he mentioned the stock tune has a bit too much HSC going on, resulting in spiking and harsh response to high speed square edge hits.

I never really had a problem speaking with him but I see how we can get defensive if people try to argue solutions that he sees as risky or outright wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For those of you that have used Avy before, how do their tunes match up with their beginner/sport/expert/semi-pro/pro designation? If I raced I'd probably enter expert for a local race, but at a national I might go down to sport to feel it out.
Pretty well I think. But it's one of those things you have to be really honest about your riding abilities. I have their damper in an old fox 40 and have been really happy with it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know that's geared to find out tuning answers from people who might not know the intricacies of shock function but how do you even answer questions like that?

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick............

I just want a knob that has a smiley face one one side and a sad face on the other. Call it the 'good' knob. sometimes I need more good and less bad.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I just want a knob that has a smiley face one one side and a sad face on the other. Call it the 'good' knob. sometimes I need more good and less bad.
Sounds like you need a bear face on that knob, too.

Behold, el Bomberino prior to avyfornication.

610g with a sweet 500x2.25 Zocchi Ti spring.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He advises against RC4 mods, especially the fat shafts, prefers people to go the Van RC / Bomber CR route.

I am going to put it on the bike for a week of riding before sending it in.
No, it depends on the bike and most importantly, the stroke/LR. But if you have to convert a fat-shaft AND tune it, it's prohibitively expensive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know that's geared to find out tuning answers from people who might not know the intricacies of shock function but how do you even answer questions like that?

Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick............

Reminds me of when someone asked me to draw the fuel system for the DA-42:
Droid 070.jpg

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
A lot of what you are choosing is compression, from what I gathered is the sport vs expert is size of drops and jumps. So the HSC can be set so it doesn't completely blow through on 5-6' drops and big jumps. But you'll get more feed back in chatter unless your speed is really fast.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
A lot of what you are choosing is compression, from what I gathered is the sport vs expert is size of drops and jumps. So the HSC can be set so it doesn't completely blow through on 5-6' drops and big jumps. But you'll get more feed back in chatter unless your speed is really fast.
:stupid:

Yup. I am going through this at the moment.
My trailbike is good, but the cart for the big bike is a bit too stiff.
If I run at the ragged edge, it feels really good, but when I back it off to safe old man pace it is too stiff and is especially noticeable in chatter where the nerve damage in my hand protests. I thought I was accurate in how long I have been riding, how slow I am now, how much my balls have shrunk and how my injuries affect my riding ability. He seems to have gotten the trailbike fork and shock right, at least in the terrain I have had it so far - but for the big bike, it would have been perfect a few years ago pre accidents, but now its a bit too firm.

Looks like I will be sending it in for some updates over the winter.

888 cartridge
Yari/Lyric cartridge.
RS SuperDeluxe RCT Coil

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
tell me more.
I remembered one other thing to tell you. I don't know how the current carbon/aluminum megatrails are, but assuming yours is an aluminum one, the nifty machine work at the mount for the rear shock eyelet to make it easy to switch between suspension modes excludes the use of the fox style polymer shock eyelet bushing hardware. I had to use rockshox bushing hardware on the Fox SSD RC to make it work with the megatrail. The fox mounting hardware works fine at the front eyelet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no custom valving.
That write up says there doesn't appear to be any user serviceable bits in the piggyback. It's still going to have a base valve piston and shims on the shaft where the biggest difference can be made. Everything is fuckable. Just gotta have the right tools.

If you even need to.

Service now in reno with the rest of the bike universe

Although I must say.......when going to the home page the first pic I see is of brian lopes. So I guess there's a little something to overcome there.

Last edited:

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
It depends what your mid travel bike is.

I used the RC stock for a couple of weeks on a top driven VPP Nomad 3 CC, and like others mentioned on other frames, the shock was pretty harsh for medium/big hits. If used with minimal compression damping it was OK but not great. If you can manage the budget, the SSD modification improves the RC a lot.

For top driven VPP I would say even stock RC is better than air. For other suspension designs, I would say air could probably be better than stock RC.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Following up after a couple of rides on the Avy tuned Van Performance. It's definitely resolved the harshness I was experiencing with the shock in stock form. Good small bump sensitivity, feels pretty linear - doesn't do anything weird. I think I'd like a bit stiffer of a base valve (indicated sport class DH race setup), but that may be a good thing after a full day of resort riding; a high speed adjuster would be nice. Doesn't quite have the glued to the ground traction of the 11-6 or TTX22 I had. I'd say it's a bit better than the DHX2s I've run and worth the money if you have a Van/Bomber already.

The big surprise was the Select damper in the Boxxer. I expected garbage, but the thing feels really damn good - it's out performing the Avy Van in back. Similar to the shock I'd like a firmer base valve, but for a budget damper it's impressive.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have not had many chances to ride the Avy Bomber CR yet but it is def WAY better than the DHX2 that was a spiking monster on my unrideabru VPP frame. The shock is fine but it will take a while until I can give it proper beating. The damper in the MRP Ribbon fork, OTOH... I have evil plans for that thing.