Quantcast

Avenue Vs Model C - can I get a witness?

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
In the market for a new cruiser. Love the look of the liquid, but bit out of my price range and hard to get hold of in U.K. Looking to get a complete. The Avenue/Avenger is by far the cheapest, and easiest to get hold of. How does it ride though? Anyone ridden the wethepeople and sunday, ( or ridden the big 3?) and can compare.
I mostly like to ride park. Old Rad Dad style, and pretty happy on my old geo cruiser, but do feel it's holding me back now.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
In the market for a new cruiser. Love the look of the liquid, but bit out of my price range and hard to get hold of in U.K. Looking to get a complete. The Avenue/Avenger is by far the cheapest, and easiest to get hold of. How does it ride though? Anyone ridden the wethepeople and sunday, ( or ridden the big 3?) and can compare.
I mostly like to ride park. Old Rad Dad style, and pretty happy on my old geo cruiser, but do feel it's holding me back now.
i believe the WTP Avenger has exactly the same geo as the shorter Sunday Model C (the 21.25tt).

what cruiser are you riding right now? are you tall? what about it makes you feel like it's holding you back? (bb hitting during double peg grinds? hard to manual? 180? etc.?)

"new WTP avenue"
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221396

"Speaking of street cruisers..."
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196889

2010 We The People Avenger on sale for $399:
http://www.actionvillage.com/800-489-0046

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I've had the Avenue for a year now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I routinely switch back and for with my 20in with no problem. It really does feel like a bmx bike. Easy to manual, easy to bunnyhop, and it handles dirt jumps like a dream.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
it's a perv. British bike, quite rare now as the company no longer exists. Good solid bike. I love it really, but all of the above - hard to manual, bottom bracket catches - 180's ok but a lot of effort. Stable in the air, but I feel like I'd like to tuck it more and be more over the top

I don't normaly have the seat up that high - was riding from south to north london that day... Oh yeah, I'm 5' 11. Interesting if the geo is really the same on the avenger and model c...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
it's a perv. British bike, quite rare now as the company no longer exists. Good solid bike. I love it really, but all of the above - hard to manual, bottom bracket catches - 180's ok but a lot of effort. Stable in the air, but I feel like I'd like to tuck it more and be more over the top

I don't normaly have the seat up that high - was riding from south to north london that day... Oh yeah, I'm 5' 11. Interesting if the geo is really the same on the avenger and model c...
the way you have that Perv set up with almost full size bmx bars (they look about 7.5"?) and the stem raised up a little . . . it looks like you like a taller and less hunched stance (like I do). if you ride an Avenger, Model C, or one of the other 13.75" bb cruisers with stock 7" rise bars, you will notice that you are standing A LOT higher over the bike and leaning down more to the grips. basically going from 12" bb up to 13.75"bb would make you want bars 1.75" taller than what you have now. i tried some 8.25" bars on an Avenger and it felt a lot better for me (6'1", long legs), so you might like some 8"s on it. but the front end was still too short for my taste. if you are used to old school bikes, (and run your bars at 90 degrees to the ground) you might like this fine. if you got a Sunday, i would say definitely get the longer of the two (the 21.75") and probably run full size 8" bars.

the Liquid is the best cruiser i have ever ridden. i know you're saying the it would be expensive to build up, but it really is worth it to get a bike that feels exactly right. you could probably switch most of your parts off the Perv (although maybe needing a micro drive rear hub). or buy a WTP, ride it for a while, then order a Liquid frame and swap all the parts. literally everything is transferable from the Avenger to the Liquid including headset and bottom bracket.

you could also consider the Faction Zeitgeist 22". except for some vintage frames under my bed, my 22" replaces 20" for me. just feels like a 20" that fits. the new Faction Amero frame will have more dialed geometry though and it's true there are some gambles associated with tire availability.

22" Bike Check
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227791

"24' vs BMX for a tall rider"
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=107127

some comparison shots . . . . . .

Liquid Feedback 24" with 8.25" rise bars next to Faction Zeitgeist 22" with 8.25" bars:

DK General Lee 24" with 7.25" Standard bars next to Faction 22":

Macneil Deuce Deuce 20" with 9" rise Solid Roseanne bars next to Faction 22"

Last edited:

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Actually 7 rise and I feel I could have gone higher and wider. Good idea to get an Avenger and switch the parts later maybe. Do you know if I can use any 24 forks with the liquid?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Actually 7 rise and I feel I could have gone higher and wider. Good idea to get an Avenger and switch the parts later maybe. Do you know if I can use any 24 forks with the liquid?
yeah any fork would work (except of course pre-mid 90's threaded forks for 1 inch head tube bikes). most people would probably pick Sunday fork or S&M fork.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008

Very little difference between the 2 except for import tax in the UK. i.e. the WTP will be cheaper due to Eu taxation on import -vs- import from US. This in no way makes it cheaper.

I would also consider the Faction - I just bought one instead of either of these 2 bikes and that was after trying them all - I'm 6'2" and 39 years old and ride old rad dad style too. There's plenty of room on it and in some ways is a bigger bike than the 24's - no toe rubbing for sure. Oh and at the moment they are selling them off for £275 complete - full chromo frame and forks! With the money you save you could get yourself some real nice aftermarket parts.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
That's interesting. Hadn't thought about a 22 - until now. The thing that got me back into bmx though, was the 'Cruiser' aspect. That is, I thought I'd just get a big bmx to cruise round the streets on and do a few old school tricks in the car park. But now i spend every spare minute in the skatepark ( when not mountain biking)....
So , I dunno. I do still enjoy the cruise aspect, on a nice summer day, riding across town 5 miles or so to different spots. Very easy on a 24, even for an old dad. It nearly feels like a full size bike.
I'm sure the 22 would be better in the park though - but then again most stuff would be easier on a 20 too. I don't think I'm much bigger than I was when I was 17 and still riding and I see lots of guys taller and heavier than me riding 20. Definately something to think about though.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Personally I just couldn't find a 20 I was comfy on and now I'm older I just wanted to cruise around and have some fun. I originally bought a DMR 24 to do this but with I think the 22 is better on several levels. Firstly the cockpit size is larger, yet because the wheels are smaller it's easier to manoeuvre, then yet again since the wheels are bigger than the 20, you flow easier. So you have that mix of cruiser flow with 20 agility. It sounds odd but then when you try it, it just clicks.
Where are you located? I'm in Chester if you want to try one out.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
thanks iksmudge. I'm in London. Stockwell skatepark is my local. Yeah , that's the thing with this Cruiser/22 bikes. just can't find them to try out. I've ever only seen a few people riding cruisers and they are always race cruisers. Not in any of the shops here.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
thanks iksmudge. I'm in London. Stockwell skatepark is my local. Yeah , that's the thing with this Cruiser/22 bikes. just can't find them to try out. . . . .
there's a list of UK dealers
http://www.factionbikeco.com/contact.htm

Winstanleys in Wigan sales@winstanleysbmx.co.uk

01942 707646

Ideal in Birmingham info@idealbirmingham.co.uk

01212 247392

Ride in Coventry rideshop@gmail.com

02476 681102

Dave Mellor Cycles in Shrewsbury. sales@thecycleshop.co.uk

01743 366662

Brookes Cycles in Newtown info@brookscycles.co.uk

01686 610021

Bunney's Bikes in Nottingham info@bunneysbikes.co.uk

01159 472713

Apex in Berkshire sales@apexmodels.com

01344 777918

DAI Leisure in Brierley Hill West Midlands daileisure.co.uk

01384 265151

Crucial BMX in Bristol Info@CrucialBmxShop.com

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks cmc. Still nothing in London though. Hoping to bump into someone with one when I'm out. By the way, just saw these forks.
Would they work with a liquid?

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Zeitgeist on it's way. Ordered one without even riding it, but feel it's the right direction. I've been saying to myself , "Why don't I just get a 20?" but still love my cruiser but can't go further with it. I know it's cramping my style. I think cruisers are the best looking bikes, but the Sunday and Wethepeople don't really look like cruisers anymore. The Liquid looks beautiful, but maybe i'll save that for another day.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
You'll not regret it - welcome to the club!
It really is a tardis thing - seemingly small on the outside but big when you get "in" it.