Quantcast

Average bar height/ clearance

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When I get a silverado, I want to get a camper shell to cover the bikes.

How high should it be to clear the bars w/ the wheels on?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Its hard to say that this won't be enough clearance for a bike.:D
Its looks way too bulky though.

There are some a little lower though that might clear.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i highly doubt any cap will cover the bikes, especially if you have tall forks like monsters or 888s. if they dohappen to fit it will be a pain to get them in and out.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
With a camper shell, I wouldn't be ablt to put bikes in upside down/ horizontal when shuttling.

Maybe I should go back to the soft top idea, so I could easily take it on and off. I wonder if this would clear bikes upright?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
why do you need to cover them? if your leaving your bikes in your car overnight thats a biiig mistake. whenever im traveling or even parked in front of my house i WILL NOT leave my bike in my car overnight unless im sleeping in it

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree. No need to put them in a camper shell just for shuttling up and down a mountain. If you wanted a shell, and wanted to carry bikes I'd get a 4 bike sportworks rack.

You'll be able to fit a bike inside with a shell on. Just go see how high up the bike sits in the bed and if it goes above the cab line then it won't work, below it and it should work. But talk about a lot of work to get a bike in and out, it'd turn into a PITA really quick.

If I ever even think of leaving my bike in the truck's bed I lock it up big time to the bed. Not only is it strapped down, but locked as well and I'll never leave it unattended for any time unless it's done like this.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I guess I really don't need a shell. I will always bring them inside a hotel anyway, so I don't need it. One less thing to spend money on! Thanks!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I suggest you measure your bike with a TAPE MEASSURE and then find out how tall your bed rails are add that number to the loading hieght of the canopy and you will now.

The hieght of the bed rails + the canopy opening > hieght of your bikes.