Quantcast

Avid 8" front adapter rotor problem

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I've having a bit of trouble getting my front 8" Avid Mechanical to mount properly. I've got it mounted to a 2002 Marzocchi Jr. T (regular dropouts). The adapter is rubbing against the rotor. The part of the adapter where the screws go bulges out on the side close to the adapter and the bulge is contacting the rotor pretty much preventing spinning of the wheel.

Any ideas on what's causing this and/or how to fix it? :confused:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Your description of the problem is a bit confusing, but I know that the word "Avid" is supposed to be facing out on the adapter. Other than that, bust out with the hammer and make some adjustments. ;)

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Yeah, sorry about the confusion...it's kinda hard to describe without seeing exactly what I'm talking about or knowing exactly what the adapter looks like. Anyways, I'll try and get a pict. up here soon if I can find a digi. cam to take one with.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
By the way, I tried putting the caliper on with the adapter situated so that the "Avid" was on the outside, but that makes it so the caliper is situated incorrectly and won't allow the wheel to be seated properly since the rotor is pushed as far back in the caliper as possible. Bah! :confused:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by TCoop924
By the way, I tried putting the caliper on with the adapter situated so that the "Avid" was on the outside, but that makes it so the caliper is situated incorrectly and won't allow the wheel to be seated properly since the rotor is pushed as far back in the caliper as possible. Bah! :confused:
Is this the factory mounting kit? The Avid adaptors are usually a snap to set up.:confused: :monkey:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
The problem is that you're using an adapter designed for QR20 or other 20mm forks, which are wider. There is no adapter designed to put 8" discs on a QR fork. You can either:

1 - machine 4 or 5mm off one side of the adapter (I can't remember which side but this HAS been posted before, probably in the DH forum).

2 - get the adapter for a RS Psylo Tullio (20mm) fork. That is supposed to have the regular spacing on the disc mounts (I'm not sure, just going by what I've read on here). Hayes definitely makes one; you may have to jury-rig a little......

3 - use a 6" IS Avid adapter, in conjunction with an 8" REAR I.S. NON-Avid adapter - like you would use to mount an 8" XT in the rear. The GRC adapter would work well, or the Shimano one.

This all stems from the general unwillingness of manufacturers to support 8" on QR forks. You will have to ghetto-engineer something, no matter what......

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Weird, I'm running an 8" rotor on 99 Z1 QR fork. Bought the 8" adaptor, replace the 6" adaptor previously installed and voila, up and running with an 8" rotor. I can snap a pic if it will help - I had no problems at all getting this going...

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Yeah, that would totally be helpful if you could snap a pict. of your set up ghostrider....Also, I checked Avid's site and found a .pdf with all the compatibility info....and I quote, "Avid's larger rotor sizes (185mm and 203mm) are compatible with Marzocchi forks with standard quick-release drop-outs but require an additional caliper mounting bracket. Avid offers these brackets and they are available through your LBS.
Note: Avid does not currently offer a bracket for forks with QR20 or QR20 Plus thru-axles." endquote

So, what's up with this? Do I need to go get a different adapter (though mine already has the 8" front adapter from what I thought)??

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
Try calling or emailing Avid. They should be able to help you out.

(303) 762-9353
tech@avidbike.com

edit: Sounds like you just need a special Marzocchi 8" QR adapter or something. Avid should be able to clear it up for you. You probably just stop by a bike shop and ask them.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I already did...they thought I had a hub spacing issue...I haven't replied back, but I think that's BS since I've got Shimano XT disc hubs...they should work, right???

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Well, I just e-mailed Avid concerning the problem (one more time), specifically if I need to go get a particular adapter or what have you....I'll post what I find out later.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Thanks for the picts....one question...that adapter you're using...is it from Avid? It doesn't resemble my adapter at all. Mines pretty rounded...that looks more square...maybe it's just a different year design or something?

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I think my Avids are 03, but I'm pretty sure the adapter is for any year - it just uses different shims for different years. I think the Speedgoat link that you included is the correct item, although they charged my $15 for mine.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Ok, well, after talking with a lot of people. it just sounds like the problem is that the adapter is just misaligned (due to fork dropouts or something else). So, I just decided to file off about 1/32" from the adapter knubs so as to stop it from rubbing against the rotor. Brakes are both on and work great!