Quantcast

Avid Code feedback

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
i usually have to build a bike from scratch every few years because they fatigue. so i find myself out of the loop on the best and the brightest components.

i used hayes for years until avid surpassed them. hayes just didn't upgrade for years. lazy maybe? anyway avid like avis rent a car had to try harder and it really showed in their juicy series.

i have been very happy with my juicy sevens/8". but they are tired now after 1000s of miles and many bleeds n pads.

i can either gut and rebuild them (i have the mechanical aptitude of a potato). or buy new ones. but the 7s are older models and harder to find new.

or i can check out the latest avid offering. how are the avid codes?

the 7s are fantastically tough, durable and easy to maintain. how does the code stack up? or any avid product like the 7s?

Last edited:

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I had contamination problems with mine within the first couple of weeks. I would bleed them clear, and then in a couple of weeks I would get some minor pumping up and down so I would have to bleed them again. Every time the fluid was black. I'm riding 3 days per week, not particularly long or steep runs. It was suggested that I switch the hose but instead they left me with the bike and a heads up to check the brakes every couple of weeks.

For my current bike I went back to Juicy 7's. I know it's not supposed to work this way, but I have much better power out of the Juicy's then I ever did out of the codes. I have no experience with the Elixers.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
one thing about the Codes i noticed, you have to have them bled properly, or else they'll be pretty finicky.

power will be there, but once in a while the lever would go all the way to the bar. then you have to pump them to get the feeling back. thats how they were when one shop installed them. brought it to another shop, and they were spot on all season.

when they're working properly, power and modulation are great.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
my codes were inconsistent at first, air, but they have been fine for quite a while, they are 2yrs old now. I would buy them again but I might go with saints instead. SRAM is releasing some new codes very soon, the lever looks more like the elixers and they are supposed to be lighter.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I have had many problems with my own Codes, contaminating fluid and having air/bleed issues. Also, the worm gear in the lever adjust can jam in a crash and ruin your ride. I have 3 other friends on codes, 2 have had all the same problems. The one friend that has had no problems has Code 5's, the rest were Codes. It seems the Code 5's are actually less prone to failure. When they work they have awesome power and modulation, good feedback and pad wear. My problems with reliability were so great that I sold them.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
agree with everyone above.

you will have trouble finding new juicy 7s. they have been replaced by elixers (fantastic brake by the way)

codes have master cylinder/lever body problems every now and then

code 5s or code 7s have a code caliper with juicy lever body. easy/reliable lever body/master cylinder with power of 4 piston caliper. win for everyone.

you could wait for new codes but first run products can be iffy

my vote: get some code 5s if you want power. if the juicys had enough power for you, then get some elixers.

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
I have the codes and worked great for the first year. They then got a little finicky. I bled them and they were fine. After awhile they felt spongy. Bled them again and they were good. Right now, after 2 1/2 years they are working great. But they will get finicky again i am sure and i will have to bleed them and get them back into shape.

I would get the code 5's. The codes have the contact adjust and that is a portal for air and dirt to get into the line. I have heard of a lot of problems with the Elixir contact adjust letting air in and making the brakes feel spongy. I will not buy another brake set with contact adjust. It is not worth the hassles. Although it took over a year for mine to start giving me problems. My next set will be code 5's to avoid these issues. You should not have any problems with code 5's.

I have a pair of Avid elixirs and they are nice, but are not as powerful as codes. For dh, i like strong brakes.

Last edited:

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
I have been running the same set of Codes for a couple seasons now and I've never had a problem. Mine have always had a lot of modulation without losing power. A friend of mine has had a couple problems with fading, but overall he seemed pleased. I did a few Garbanzo runs on a bike with Elixers and found them to pump up a ton.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
This will be my third season on the same set of Codes and after many brake pad changes & bleeds they're rock solid. The pad contact adjustment is the best I can dial my lever close to the bar for less hand/arm pump.

I don't recall who suggested putting fluid in both syringes and pumping it back & forth to drive the remaining air bubbles out of the system but that was the best piece of advice I've gotten from a rm thread. For those of you having issues w/ your Avid brakes you may want to try this technique before you throw in the towel.

I’m sticking w/ Codes.

J

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
After some initial break-in and bleed issues, my codes have been solid for 3 seasons. They're a little heavy but very consistent and powerful. I'm a 200-lb brake-dragging hack and they never fade.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had a similar experience as most here with Codes. They'd fade, the lever engagement would change, etc. They were powerful but inconsistent. I've been told they are really tricky to bleed, the calipers have all kinds of little crevasses to trap air. This leads to the fade and strange lever action.

I got rid of them last year and got Hayes Stroker Aces, I bled them once last fall. No performance issues.

Most of my team runs Hayes; but the guys that don't prefer Elixirs over Juicy 5/7s and Codes.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have the original codes; and the power is impressive, but the total impression over time is less than stellar. I like my J7's better, but granted I have them on a trail bike, not DH.

On the other hand, so far my '10 Saint 4 pots have been amazing! Someone tried them and said they lock too quickly, but I feel they modulate great - although I have ~265lbs to temper that power with.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On the other hand, so far my '10 Saint 4 pots have been amazing! Someone tried them and said they lock too quickly, but I feel they modulate great - although I have ~265lbs to temper that power with.
I have new saints and they are great. Not necessarily more powerful than codes, but the feel is great and reliability seems better. Mine need a bleed for the season but otherwise keep trucking.

I now have juicies on my trail bike, it'll be an adventure for me.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I have Code's and will be transferring over my Juicy 5 levers over for this season.