Quantcast

Avid FMJ's for ft/rr derailleurs?

dbnut

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
Greensboro, NC
Okay, this is my first post on this site. I'm diggin this place. Lots of usefull info :cool:
Anyhoo, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using Avid's FMJ cable set for the ft/rr derailleurs and if so how it turned out.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i was going to go with them but I was talked out of them by one of my LBS (backcountry in tahoe). Standard cables and housings are working fine for me.

dbnut

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
Greensboro, NC
Squeak,
Just put them on my avid mechs and made a huge difference. No noticeable drag, plus they are completely sealed (kinda nice in the mud/muck. With no drag and being imune to mucking up, I thought that it might improve my shifting.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
well, i think it was mostly because they didn't have them but i was told that they were overkill unless you ride in really muddy conditions. Which as you know, we don't have around here. I live near kings beach and work in reno.

dbnut said:
Sorry definn, I meat to ask ya why your LBS talked ya outa them. BTW, what end of Tahoe do you reside @?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
dbnut said:
Squeak,
Just put them on my avid mechs and made a huge difference. No noticeable drag, plus they are completely sealed (kinda nice in the mud/muck. With no drag and being imune to mucking up, I thought that it might improve my shifting.
I guess I was reading you were going to use them for derrailur cables. Thats why I was asking. :)

dbnut

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
Greensboro, NC
dfinn,
Yeah, not too muddy around here, but I hope to get outa dodge more this summer and do some riding in Cali. Hopefully some buddies and I are going to Santa Cruz in July providing we're able to secure a camping spot. Also planning to hit Downieville for the first time :D July 8-11 for the MTB review ride (might be a good test for FMJ's with runoff/streams and all). Anyhoo, we'll have to hook up sometime for some riding @ Tahoe.

dbnut

Chimp
Jun 16, 2004
Greensboro, NC
Squeak,
Yeah, I got 'em on the brakes now and will try to get them to work on my derailleurs. I figure that if it's a no go and it doesn't work I'll just give 'em to a buddy of mine. I'll post a follow up as to how it works out. :)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
yeah, sounds good. I was out at downieville a couple of weekend ago and it was perfect. I kind of have a feeling that by the time july rolls around it will be just as dry as everywhere else. I've heard there's some good stuff down in SC. I used to live down by Santa Rosa and annadale state park also has some really fun stuff.

dbnut said:
dfinn,
Yeah, not too muddy around here, but I hope to get outa dodge more this summer and do some riding in Cali. Hopefully some buddies and I are going to Santa Cruz in July providing we're able to secure a camping spot. Also planning to hit Downieville for the first time :D July 8-11 for the MTB review ride (might be a good test for FMJ's with runoff/streams and all). Anyhoo, we'll have to hook up sometime for some riding @ Tahoe.