Quantcast

Avid front disc adapter question

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Anyone know the correct adapter to use for an Avid Juicy front brake/185 mm rotor with a 2006 Marzocchi Z1 SL, 20 mm thru axle fork?

Thus far, the supplied IS one did not work, as it is not spaced properly for this fork. The Avid directions for the brakes reference a "QR 20" adapter, but it doesn't specify 185 mm.

BTI has a good list on their website, but the only thing that seems to come close is the Boxxer 185 mm adapter - and that seems like another shot in the dark: http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BR/BRDP/AV

Nada mucho info on the Avid site, as well (unless I missed it).

Thanks in advance for any info - Jim

Dec 3, 2007
There are two small spacers that fit between the adaptor and the fork that will give you the correct spacing. I believe they are about 2.5mm and are usually supplied with 20mm IS tab Marzocchi forks. Any LBS should have them or you could use a couple small washers to get the appropriate spacing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
For future reference, the Boxxer has its own extra special mounting standard, so that won't help. There are some 20mm specific adapters out there that are a bit wider than regular ones, in order to orient the caliper properly, or you can, as you did, add some washers. That's what I usually do.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
any chance you have a picture of this setup?
Nothing handy, but I can tell you my setup (and as Marzocchi said, there is currently no adapter for this setup, hence my spacer thing): per bolt, I used one 4 mm hayes spacer plus one "black" E13 chainguide spacer. I used Hayes post mount bolts, as they were longer than the stock AVIDS. Perfect lineup with this, and the bolts are long enough to make it almost all the way through the stock 185 mm disc adapter.

Seems to work well! - Jim