Quantcast

Avid Juicy 7's Sticking?

Robusto

Monkey
Ok, so at the beginning of last season I threw a new set of Juicy 7's on my DH bike, and immediately noticed that one of the levers seemed to have a lot of friction on the return. First race out I ended up breaking my wrist, and had to wear a cast for 3months and be off the bike for a few more... needless to say... it's still doing the same thing, and after braking you can tell that after braking it takes a while for the pads to back off of the rotor, Almost like the fluid inside is over-viscous or something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds like you need to service the lever/master cylinder to me - Avid makes a kit for this.

EDIT: Could be stuck pistons too, which can be alleviated by pressing them halfway out, oiling them, and pushing them back in. If one/both are very stuck you can get them out with hydraulic pressure from the system or an airgun; IIRC Avid has instructions for this procedure online.

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
A customer in our shop had the same issue with a pair of sevens.

Talked to the SRAM reps and they suggested we try and bleed the system and see if it helped.

And it did. It worked for 3 months or so and then the same thing occurred again, we sent the thing in, the piston set in the master cylinder got replaced under warranty.