Quantcast

Avid Rotor/Adapter with Hayes Caliper?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Personal expierince here... Avid adapters and Hayes Are Not compatible... the Pads will not run in teh Proper Position.. Hayes adapter with Avid makes them run to high Avid adapter with ahyes brakes too low.... Function? Yes.... good braking?.. Maybe wearing pads Fast?.. Yes.....The adapters are cheap anyways And as Far as teh rotor?... depends on what year the avids are New style rotor is a 160 not a 165 for the six inch rotors while the Eight inches are the same Good luck let us know how it goes
________
Agnes

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
DirtyMike said:
Personal expierince here... Avid adapters and Hayes Are Not compatible... the Pads will not run in teh Proper Position..

That doesn't make any sense. If you put both calipers on a post mount (ala Manitou) they should be in the same position. The IS to post mount adapters should be the same. No???

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
buildyourown said:
That doesn't make any sense. If you put both calipers on a post mount (ala Manitou) they should be in the same position. The IS to post mount adapters should be the same. No???
The adapters are the same.

The offset from the mounting surface to the pad contact point is the same on Hayes and Avids with the washers so swapping the conical washers is not necessary.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
DirtyMike said:
Personal expierince here... Avid adapters and Hayes Are Not compatible... the Pads will not run in teh Proper Position.. Hayes adapter with Avid makes them run to high Avid adapter with ahyes brakes too low.... Function? Yes.... good braking?.. Maybe wearing pads Fast?.. Yes.....The adapters are cheap anyways And as Far as teh rotor?... depends on what year the avids are New style rotor is a 160 not a 165 for the six inch rotors while the Eight inches are the same Good luck let us know how it goes
The larger 165mm rotor size uses a larger offset at the caliper, not the adapter. So I'm not sure what you mean.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
DirtyMike said:
Not correct, I swap my brakes back and forth between bikes often. I have hayes and avids. I always mix the adapters.