Quantcast

avid rotorsszzz

Aug 23, 2011
So I am building up a bicycle. Had a Hope Tech V2 which I really like but it needed to be bleed along with a new line or atleast cut the old. And I only have one and at the price of $265 a side I figured it was smarter just to go with some new brakes. So I picked up a new set of elixir crs of ebay with no rotors. So yeah..anyone use the new HSX or HS1 rotors? Are they any better (do you actully notice anything.....) then the clean sweeps which look like trash because they dont machine around the bolt holes anymore. Also..220# with 6" rotor in the back? ye or nay...

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I'm using Magura SL rotors on one of my bikes w/ Elixir CRs. They're $20 (or less) and seem to work fine.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
If you want floating rotors, Superstar components sells some in all standard sizes for 24-29 gbp. I've been meaning to try them out, but they were only available at the end of my season. I'm thinking of getting myself a set for next season though.

Btw, I'll accept a donation of that unwanted hope v2 brake of yours ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
pretty much all rotors are better then avid. shimano uses a thinner rotor, bet everything else is pretty much the same. I have had fantastic luck with hayes rotors.

edit: I don't like avid because they consistently need bending and they're loud.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I've got to agree with Hayes rotors. I've had several occasions where my rotors have been impacted directly and they've never been overly bent. They were maybe a little out of true, but I was always able to straighten them up easily with a rotor tool.

Aug 23, 2011
Ocelot, for as much as I would like to send you my V2 for free I think I am going to hold onto. Almost wish I didn't get the avids (though I did have good luck with J7's) and just got another hope (after watching the video of production.). I thought the goodridge line was supposed to be legit, guess I cant blame it when you hit a tree though. Not sure if I really want floating rotors or not, not going to buy one over the other just because of floaters, the superstars do look nice though.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
the 'cleansweeps' that look like trash now because the lack of machining is for a reason. the rotors are muuuuuuuch stiffer, and way less susceptible to damage. at least this is what i have noticed from switching to the new style. i wouldn't go back to the old ones, in fact i recommend not using the old ones at all cause they get warped so easily.