Quantcast

Avids are easy to install right?????? So......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Can hayes be just as easy?? I got thinking and started looking at the 2 adapters side by side. Same geometry pretty much, exact from what i remember, but im sure some expert will chime in and say they arent exact. The difference i could see was that Hayes are machined, Avids are cast/forged. So, i was wondering, can i machine the thickness of the avid mounting washers off a hayes adapter? The design/offset of the calipers are different, so my logic says if you replace the material on the adapter with material in the form of the bowl washers, then i should have an easy to align system, just like avid infact..... You can scavenge those washers from any avid v-brake pad too......

Any one else thought of this? Or am i missing something??

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
that's brilliant. I believe that you can use a hayes 6" adaptor with 8" avid rotors and marzocchi qr20 forks. I guess the offset of the conical washers and such equals the offset needed for a rotor 2 inches larger. I am not sure if the hayes calipers would work well this way though, they may need the caliper/adaptor interface as provided without the conincal washers to be ridgid enough or not squeal excessively or something along those lines.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
D,
The problem I forsee is if you had to remove so much material from the hayes caliper that the bolts didn't thread in far enough or you just plain ran out of thread. I like the idea about using 6" adapters and the washers. You could add a washer or two if you needed a little more reach. I have a spare 6" adapter. I might just try it when I get home....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
actually I think it's easier than that - from what I have HEARD, a Hayes caliper + CPS washers + Avid adapter will just bolt right up to the right size.

So, you could machine it off a Hayes adapter, or just use stock Avid adapters.

I'd take a micrometer/caliper to somebody's avid setup first, but it sounds like it should work....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Ok, so i broke out the roach clips.... i mean calipers... :D The avid washers roughly add up to .2" Im measuring those on the bike, from the side so thats not totally accurate, but close. The hayes adapter has one end that the threads go straight down into full material. Shaving material off that wouldnt be a issue. The forward (up) mounting screw would loose some thread, but it looks like theres plenty. Ill have to sacrifice some adapters to see if this would work. My hayes are running fine actually, but sometimes the were really difficult to get right on my bighit. Now i have 6" avids on my BH and no problems with brake noise/rubbing.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
actually I think it's easier than that - from what I have HEARD, a Hayes caliper + CPS washers + Avid adapter will just bolt right up to the right size.

I'd take a micrometer/caliper to somebody's avid setup first, but it sounds like it should work....
Ill have to get my 203mm avid adapter and line it over the hayes. They really do seem to be the exact same thing. I think the 2 calipers must be offset a little differently from the center of the piston to the bottom mounting face of the caliper.

Oh, and so far ive only compared the rear adapter. i have some fronts too ill look at. I know my boxxer might be different, but maybe the concept would be the same......

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I set up my buddy's bike with an avid mech up front and i used a hayes 20mm 8" adapter. I didn't use the conical spacers though, so alignment is not perfect. It works alright though, it has broken in now and has a good deal of power and is alot quieter than the rear with the normal avid 6" adapter setup.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by buildyourown
D,
The problem I forsee is if you had to remove so much material from the hayes caliper that the bolts didn't thread in far enough or you just plain ran out of thread. I like the idea about using 6" adapters and the washers. You could add a washer or two if you needed a little more reach. I have a spare 6" adapter. I might just try it when I get home....
Let me know if that worked. Maybe we could just make new adapters? ones that had good threads at both screws.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
heres an idea

lets do this the online mountainbike engeneering way

scenario a:
setting up a front 8" brake on an IS through fork

solution
use CPS washers
use RS boxxer adapter instead of regular IS adapter.
space out using presta lockrings.

scenario b:
installing a rear 8" brake on a IS frame

solution
CPS washers
use 8" FRONT QR adapter
probably very little spacing needed

this is because the boxxer uses an adapter thats a bit smaller than the normal IS so boxxer adapter + cps = pretty close to IS adapter

same for the rear
front 8" QR (important because the 8" t/a is thicker than the rear adapters) + cps washers = pretty close to 8" rear.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by vitox
anyone tried to use v-brake pad alignment washers instead of CPS washers?
Provided you can pass the M8 bolts (or whatever size we all use to mount hayes) through them, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Incubus
Provided you can pass the M8 bolts (or whatever size we all use to mount hayes) through them, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

rrrright

that wont work

but

i remember oldie cantis, those had cps-style washers that had a bigger bore so the pad post went in there, hmm ill check the garage.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Incubus

buddy sitting right next to me sez they do fit no mods req`d

been there done that as they say he sez

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by oly
Ill have to get my 203mm avid adapter and line it over the hayes. They really do seem to be the exact same thing.
They are. Hayes and Avid adapters are identical in terms of spacing. It's the calipers that differ. I use Hayes adapters front and rear with Avids on one bike.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I brought in my goodie bag of all my old v-brake scraps. There are 2 sizes of the CPS bottom spacers... ( shaped like )| ) . One is 3mm thick, the other 5.25mm thick. The ones on my new avids use the 3mm bottom spacer. The top spacer ( shaped like |) ) all seem to be the same at 3mm. The stack up of the thinner ones is about 5.1mm. I bolted the avid adapter to the hayes adapter and they are virtually the same. So i should be able to machine off 5mm off one of the adapters to allow the CPS hardware to work with the hayes caliper. ill use the avid because i have 2 sets of those adapters. Taking 5mm off leaves around 12-13mm of threaded adapter. Im headed out to the machine shop to get my adapter machined. I think theres a bike around here with 8" rotors i can see if this works on.......

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I got the adapter machined. Tried to setup on a bike, but the rear brake was already rubbing with the standard hayes setup so it was hard to tell if the avid made any improvment. The pads wouldnt retract enough, and i didnt want to mess around letting fluid out. ill try the setup on my dhr tonigh......From what i could tell it lined up properly on the disk......

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by DßR

Yes. The Avid and Hayes adapters do the exacat same thing- set up the caliper to fit as if it were mounted to a Manitou(or other direct mount) fork. Not sure who's standard it is, but Hayes, Avid and Manitou are all on board. Maybe others.