Quantcast

avy shocks

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by Shortbus
...EDIT: I might have come around as bashing avalanche but i definitely didn't mean to. Again my newest avalanche has performed flawlessly on my latest frame. I only thunk it was fair for someone thinking of getting one to know the potential downsides he just might end having to deal with. Most likely he won't though. The latest avy shocks I noticed have MUCH better hose sealage. That's where i had issues. :think: :think: :think: :D
Didn't think you were bashing, just calling it like ya' saw it. Gotta tell the truth, even if it hurts.

Maybe Av should consider outsourcing the customer service phones to someone outside of CT...someone about three hours from their headquarters...yeah...and give her a fork in exchange. :cool: Hi Craig, just kidding!!

I bought a used avy and sent it in to be re-built and also to buy a new spring.
I also requested an usual res. hose length.

Now let me preface the context that i have raced amateur level road race bikes(superbikes) for a handfull of years so i know a thing or two about suspension and also when to listen when someone else knows their sh1t.

So he goes off on a tirade about people not buying more ti-springs when all i did was say i wanted to buy one.:confused:

Then he tells me that i must not understand shocks at all b\c of the hose length i wanted.:confused:

So i politely go along b\c i just wanted to make a transaction and get back to riding.

The shock comes back without the original spring (i paid full pop for the ti) and also with the old cracky bottom out bumper, didn't changs it :confused:

Also without the original eye lets for the original bike b\c i was using it on a diff. frame. The original owner wanted the eyelets back as spares. I bought new ones.

So i kinda feel cheated because i bought new stuff at full price and didn't get the original parts back.
If we had arranged a swap then i couldn't really complain.:rolleyes:

Having said all that, i understand he is pretty much a one man band and its hard doing phonecalls and actual service at the same time.
I would cut him slack but frankly he was pretty arrogant.

Hey, maybe i caught him on a bad day b\c i have those too.

However, the shock ROCKS big time and kills the 5th Elly on the bike i swapped it on.

I love the shock (product) but am not impressed with his customer service.

Just one experience..........

Edit: only fair that i include that this was about a year ago so maybe he is better now .

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
Craig/Avalanche have given me nothing but top notch service. I had some pretty bad stanchion gouges in my DHF. I was worried about premature seal damage. I called Craig and mentioned my concerns. He is very confident of their products, and basically told me to ride it through the season because I wouldn't hurt anything and save some labor and replace the stanchion during normal servicing. He was right. I waited until after race season(without any problems) then sent the fork in. His advice saved me about $175+shipping. Also, the turn-around time was amazing. The fork just showed up less than a week after I had sent it in to him(it was off-season).

I also have the ti-spring DHS on my bike - it was also somewhat of an oddball item since it was the first one slapped on a V10. That situation went very well also.

My friend told me last week that he was ordering a DHS for his bullit. It showed up already sometime this week, and he's going out tonight to give it a test run - that's pretty quick turnaround.

I'm in Colorado, and had asked Craig what to do in an "emergency" situation where I didn't have time to send the fork back to the east coast. He was very helpful by telling me I could take it to any decent MX shop and they would have the items needed to service the shocks/fork. Good to have a backup plan...

Good product, good service. Their products are a bit more pricey than some others available, but you get what you pay for. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by LOOnatic
I bought a used avy and sent it in to be re-built and also to buy a new spring.
I also requested an usual res. hose length.

Now let me preface the context that i have raced amateur level road race bikes(superbikes) for a handfull of years so i know a thing or two about suspension and also when to listen when someone else knows their sh1t.

So he goes off on a tirade about people not buying more ti-springs when all i did was say i wanted to buy one.:confused:

Then he tells me that i must not understand shocks at all b\c of the hose length i wanted.:confused:

So i politely go along b\c i just wanted to make a transaction and get back to riding.

The shock comes back without the original spring (i paid full pop for the ti) and also with the old cracky bottom out bumper, didn't changs it :confused:

Also without the original eye lets for the original bike b\c i was using it on a diff. frame. The original owner wanted the eyelets back as spares. I bought new ones.

So i kinda feel cheated because i bought new stuff at full price and didn't get the original parts back.
If we had arranged a swap then i couldn't really complain.:rolleyes:

Having said all that, i understand he is pretty much a one man band and its hard doing phonecalls and actual service at the same time.
I would cut him slack but frankly he was pretty arrogant.

Hey, maybe i caught him on a bad day b\c i have those too.

However, the shock ROCKS big time and kills the 5th Elly on the bike i swapped it on.

I love the shock (product) but am not impressed with his customer service.

Just one experience..........

Edit: only fair that i include that this was about a year ago so maybe he is better now .
I had him do a ti spring and retainer swap, and he didn't include the old parts with my rebuilt shock too. I just called him up and he sent back the old spring and retainer @ no charge:thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
ya but sh|t happens you know? Anything can go wrong..so you "might" have to send it in for service during the season - and nobody likes to wait weeks for their shock to come back! :( Especially if you don't have a backup one!
Isn't Romic about 2 months to delevery now? Look at it this way, the failure rate of an Avy is VERY minimal, so a Dec-Jan servicing works well, especially with people who can't ride because of snow. Its not always a bad idea either to have a backup shock like a used Fox or Romic.

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
I try my best to help each customer I deal with to understand what needs to be done with their shock. Service for used shocks is the most difficult for me. When customers buy a used shock that was not set-up for them or the frame, and after I get done explaining what needs to be done, I think most people feel a little overwhelmed by all the details. We just want their shock to work as well as the new set-ups and sometimes it comes across the wrong way, i.e. it costs alot more then they planned or it just may not work out well for their situation. We are committed to customer satisfaction, and I want everyone to know that I try my hardest to help, and suggest the best options for their shock. Sometimes I come across a little strong but I am just trying to get right to the root of the problem. Rarely does our turnaround ever exceed 14 days, typical turnaround is 3-5 days. And if you call for a RA #, I almost always beat my turnaround estimate. I am sorry that some people feel that I treated them bad, I will try to improve my customer skills. E-mail me directly if there are any outstanding problems I might be able to resolve, I can't help you if you don't call back after you had some kind of issue with my service or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Craig

craig@avalanchedownhillracing.com

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Craig Seekins
I try my best to help each customer I deal with to understand what needs to be done with their shock. Service for used shocks is the most difficult for me. When customers buy a used shock that was not set-up for them or the frame, and after I get done explaining what needs to be done, I think most people feel a little overwhelmed by all the details. We just want their shock to work as well as the new set-ups and sometimes it comes across the wrong way, i.e. it costs alot more then they planned or it just may not work out well for their situation. We are committed to customer satisfaction, and I want everyone to know that I try my hardest to help, and suggest the best options for their shock. Sometimes I come across a little strong but I am just trying to get right to the root of the problem. Rarely does our turnaround ever exceed 14 days, typical turnaround is 3-5 days. And if you call for a RA #, I almost always beat my turnaround estimate. I am sorry that some people feel that I treated them bad, I will try to improve my customer skills. E-mail me directly if there are any outstanding problems I might be able to resolve, I can't help you if you don't call back after you had some kind of issue with my service or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Craig

craig@avalanchedownhillracing.com

Wow Bibs, that sounds like an apology. Maybe you can weasle some free stuff out of him;)

dave.g75

Chimp
Apr 19, 2004
I ordered my avy a couple of weeks ago and when I asked Craig the current delivery time he said 6-7 days, unfortunately I had relatives returning back home from the US (to UK) 3 days from my ordering date and I told him this. But guess what 3 days later its sitting on their doorstep waiting to be brought back. In my view thats amazing customer service! Admittingly I havent had any problems as my shocks brand new but if I ever have any I cant imagine the service being anything but good!!
Cheers

Originally posted by Craig Seekins
I try my best to help each customer I deal with to understand what needs to be done with their shock. Service for used shocks is the most difficult for me. When customers buy a used shock that was not set-up for them or the frame, and after I get done explaining what needs to be done, I think most people feel a little overwhelmed by all the details. We just want their shock to work as well as the new set-ups and sometimes it comes across the wrong way, i.e. it costs alot more then they planned or it just may not work out well for their situation.
We are committed to customer satisfaction, and I want everyone to know that I try my hardest to help, and suggest the best options for their shock. Sometimes I come across a little strong
I am sorry that some people feel that I treated them bad, I will try to improve my customer skills.

It means alot to me that you aren't dodging this thread and are facing it head on.

The cost of conversion was never really an issue as i understand the process requires a good bit of T&M.

My ire was based upon the fact that on that particular transaction i felt as if you thought your customers were all boneheads and could not possibly have a clue about set up and re-valving.
IE, coming on too strong.

Anyway, thanks for a "great product" as that was never in question.

Sincerely,
LOOnatic

Originally posted by LOOnatic
It means alot to me that you aren't dodging this thread and are facing it head on.

The cost of conversion was never really an issue as i understand the process requires a good bit of T&M.

My ire was based upon the fact that on that particular transaction i felt as if you thought your customers were all boneheads and could not possibly have a clue about set up and re-valving.
IE, coming on too strong.

Anyway, thanks for a "great product" as that was never in question.

Sincerely,
LOOnatic

I also , honestly agree with L00natic, I felt the same and have heard many stories with regards to the way you spoke to them also. I know that you are a perfectionist..but customer service goes along way....and I also know that there are a ton of bad customers out there....but thats is cool that you came out and addressed this issue.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Craig,
Keep up the good work and dont change. Keep telling it how it is. I know some people like CS sugar coated but I always liked your attitude. You can be a little arrogant at times but you do know your sheet more than others. Just like our little run in with the 8mm vs 6mm bolts on the FLY. Anyway, that is another story.

Keep up the good work..... I am constantly looking out the window waiting for my AVY to come back to me:D :D ..... Im hoping for Mon. Thanks for the quick turn around.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
My experience with Craig's service was outstanding...
I emailed him regarding the spring rubbing on the sticker of my DHS. He actually sent me another sticker and a 450 lb steel spring free of charge!

I was supposed to return the first spring but it got lost when I moved shortly afterwards. (Sorry Craig) He never asked me again about the first spring which was super cool of him.

Actually,I have a question to all DHS owners out there about whether or not they have any issues with the spring rubbing on the shock body. Perhaps the inside diameter of the steel springs might be a little small ... I've noticed that the black coating on my spring is leaving a mark on the shock body now that i removed the sticker.

I don't have the cash at the moment to spring (no pun intended!) for a ti spring which I believe has more clearance.
Anyone know if there is a Canadian company that sells an appropriate ti spring for a 9x3 450lb shock? The costs of buying from the US is brutal after all the added charges.

By the way,I sent my shock in to a local MX shop for a nitrogen charge and an oil change....total cost was $48.73 Canadian. Pretty sweet having a product that can be serviced for so litle.

Now,if I ever needed a change in VALVING ,I'd send it back to Craig because he most definitely know's his stuff.

I'm a VERY happy Avalanche customer. (Love my DHF 8 forks too)

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I've had the spring rub the shock body, you need to increase the preload a bit. The Ti spring is bigger in diameter compared to a steel one.
I have the preload set just right for the way my shock was valved to get the right sag and suspension feel.

So far it hasn't been a performance issue but I don't like the thought of the spring coming in conntact with the shock body like that.

Initially,I figured that it might only be dirt that was doing the rubbing on the sticker but now I can see the scuff marks from the spring.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Avy Rider
I have the preload set just right for the way my shock was valved to get the right sag and suspension feel.

So far it hasn't been a performance issue but I don't like the thought of the spring coming in conntact with the shock body like that.

Initially,I figured that it might only be dirt that was doing the rubbing on the sticker but now I can see the scuff marks from the spring.
You can also try spinning the spring(not the preload) and usally theres a slight difference in clearance to clear.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
The rubbing occurs as the spring compresses...giving too much preload will only make my suspension stiffer and rebound faster,not stop the rubbing. Thanks for trying though.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Avy Rider
The rubbing occurs as the spring compresses...giving too much preload will only make my suspension stiffer and rebound faster,not stop the rubbing. Thanks for trying though.
If your preload is kinda loose no it wont. If you can grab the spring and move it by hand its too loose.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
My spring preload is set just right as I mentioned before.
The only real cure is a larger inside diameter on the spring.

It's doing the same thing with both springs and I have used varying amouints of preload to see what happens. I was really curious to see if any other Avy owners were having this problem.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I need to concur with "Brian HCM#1". Avy CS varies depending on time of year and how busy they are. The CS isn't bad, just different. If you get Craig when he's got a moment to talk he'll explain every detail, he just helped me tune (myself) my DHF-Ti which is cool since now I don't have to take it anywhere for service, learned alot. He also exchanged some parts for minimal cost since my DHF was one of the first made before all the new options existed. I have had points in the year when I've called and got no response for a couple of days or a very short response but I didn't view that as bad CS since I've never dealt with anyone better (other than Evil but I'm not sure that's fair since I'm sort of friends with John P). Quality and durability are unmatched in my eyes and that was the deciding factor for me.

On the flipside, it took me over a year to get in touch with Romic. Voice messages not returned, emails not returned. I considered a Romic for my RFX since it was cheaper but gave up eventually and went with the Avy DHS and got it in 3 days. I now have a Romic on my '04 DHR and it's OK, honestly I can't tell that much of a difference from my '00 DHR with the Fox RC and the adjustments don't seem to do anymore for me. Plus, 50% of people I know with a Romic had to send it back after getting their bike. Teamate had the compression knob fall off in his hand, Auntesther had no rebound, Avery Bush blew his Romic apart a couple years ago and put the Fox RC back on. I suppose if I ever got through to Romic I may think they're good guys but I'm not overly impressed so far.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
On a positive note...........My Avy kicks ass and Craig was great to me, asked me my riding style (racer, hucker, freerider) my weight, my frame, told me the positives and negatives about the ti spring, built my shock and had it to me in 3 days.

I ride N* ALOTTTTTTTT and everyone that has rode my bike LOVES it and I do to, it is a quality product that in my opinion is far better then the Fox and 5th that I had before.

My bike is a Banshee Scream, and it changed the bike.

My 2 cents.

Jesus said:
I have a Romic on my Chappie now, but with all the bad talk, I was thinking of getting an Avy, and keeping the Romic as a back up.

Now I am not so sure about Avy! :eek:

Damnit!:angry: