Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
LOL... he got you on that one.

So what was the upgrade that gave you the most "boost"?
Not much really, as the platform was already there. I swapped the turbo (after mine died) to a VF39 (which is stock on the STI), added an STI intercooler to keep the turbo cool, and a Borla hush exhaust (as my tune calls for a 3" cat back exhaust). I changed the tune to adjust for the larger turbo, but that is not much. It's a plug and play from Cobb.

When I bought it the prior owner already had an STI exhaust manifold, Helix uppipe, helix high flow downpipe, and a Cobb access port mated to the car.

For handling, which I care more about, I lowered it onto WRX struts to bring the CoG down. Installed STI OEM sway bars F/R, and STI OEM steering rack to increase the ratio and have a steady ratio all the way through, and poly bushings on the rack and shifter. I also swapped the OEM wheels for the 17x7 FXT Sport OEM STI wheels as they are lighter and wider, and wrapped them with Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I intend to get snow tires if we drive this car up to Tahoe.

Beyond adding some sound deadening because Subies are loud and have minimal sound deadening from the factory, I have not really done much else.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
didn't muddy beast already do this thread a few years back?

edit...it wasn't him. Who was the kid who wrecked his Ford Tempo in his high school parking lot about 3 years ago?
I thought that was RedRabit that put it into a ditch or something.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
toasting in an epic bread...

"I was only going 20 over in the rain sideways on a public street when out of NOWHERE....."

prediction.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
haha, not so much. I keep it in check (50%) on streets, and around the 70% level on the highway, when nobody else is around. There is the one on-ramp by my house, but it has a solid wall until 90% through the turn, so when I do pin it I am already almost fully pointed inthe direction of traffic.
Now, if there is an animal in the road... I'm done for. But I will hit it if that means I don't crash.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
haha, not so much. I keep it in check (50%)
just keep it in check, dude. As awesome as it is hearing how cool you are, don't turn into a pile'o'mush on the highway....it's not worth the 5 minutes of giggles to smush some family of four on their way to see gramma.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I can easily outrun from a dead stop and at speed, a dyno proven 280 whp STI. Looking to get the dyno done in the next few months. By then I should drop my HP and increase TQ as I am adding back pressure into the system by installing a 2.5" diameter resonator into the exhaust. I do miss my torque since I went full 3" back.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
just keep it in check, dude. As awesome as it is hearing how cool you are, don't turn into a pile'o'mush on the highway....it's not worth the 5 minutes of giggles to smush some family of four on their way to see gramma.
I only drive like this when there is nobody around. Otherwise that would be foolish.:thumb:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Not much of a commute since I usually work from home, but the drive from DC out to snowshoe in my e46 325xi is one of the all time great canyon runs. At least 100 miles of 2 lane road, most with great sight lines, 55mph speed limits, and no cops.

As comfortable as I am with 17, I keep myself in check on that road. There is very little room for error and most drivers on it don't know how to hold a line. T
here are a few spots where the road undulates enough to cause the back end to step out. I know those and can drive accordingly but have seen soccer moms in giant SUVs tailgating me almost lose it on those spots.

There is some disconnet with soccer moms around the 'if they can drive that fast, I can drive that fast' mentality. I just don't get it. Ever since I got Wife her new Forester XT and have been teaching her how to properly handle her car, she notices it and comments about how unsafe that driving is.
Hwy 17+BMW E30+sticky autox tires+2 AM=omfgheaven.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've actually seen the lesbomobile ... its trick. :thumb:

I found new fun in driving again since moving to Colorado. My A4 + sticky tires may not be the fastest car (by a long shot) but its a blast on the twisty turneys in the mountains. The downside is every road less traveled by other cars is teaming with f'ing deer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've actually seen the lesbomobile ... its trick. :thumb:

I found new fun in driving again since moving to Colorado. My A4 + sticky tires may not be the fastest car (by a long shot) but its a blast on the twisty turneys in the mountains. The downside is every road less traveled by other cars is teaming with f'ing deer.
Every road in Colorado is teeming with deer... don't be fooled by other cars being present.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
And the chains... ;)

Tiburon is cool. I was always in the city, so anything outside is bridge and tunnel to me.

Of course now I'm in Mission viejo, the burbiest of the burbs, so who am I to talk?

the wife and I are looking at a used BMW 535xi AWD wagon right now to replace her AWD 6cyl Passat. I tried talking her into an outback but she refuses to even look at them. Her loss.
I tried the same thing.... Same car as you... Passat V6 4Motion Wagon.... no dice for me either... She wouldn't even look at the computer screen when I built one up online...

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I used to commute from ft. collins CO up into the hills(masonville) when i was doing timber framing. in the summer it was triple digit speeds every day, no worries at 6:30am. in winter it got hectic. '91 legacy wagon with about 200hp on RE92's is fun in the snow. i'd often go mountain biking on the way home since there were trails right on my route or nearly so; either horsetooth mountain or bobcat ridge.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Sandy Vagina Lesmobile Stuntaz Fo Life!
i would like to grow ovaries and a uterus, just so you could impregnate me with your awesomeness
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So much awesome.

Oh yeah, I drove a $hitty Plymouth Sundance that threatened to blow apart at the seams at every stoplight and I now drive an '88 Ford conversion van. So no drifting turns for me.

I don't like to drive anyways.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Not much of a commute since I usually work from home, but the drive from DC out to snowshoe in my e46 325xi is one of the all time great canyon runs. At least 100 miles of 2 lane road, most with great sight lines, 55mph speed limits, and no cops.
every road in the vicinity of snowshoe is fun to haul ass on, but there seemed to be more cops around this summer than previous years.
And colorado roads are much more fun, but my v6 suv has tons more power at lower elevation

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I lanesplit in the rain from Sunnyvale to SF just now, so I am in no place to criticize your pushing the limits.

I do think you need to strap on a cam though.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
RE92's are the angel of death's gift to subaru owners.
i never cared much about ultimate grip, just breakaway characteristics which when pumped up to about 50 psi they wouldnt roll over and were predictable enough for me. controlling the car at the limit was always more fun to me even if the speeds were lower. it's not like they are slippery enough to the point of being dangerous, anyone who thinks that is a pussy or can't drive. sure they suck in autocross or whatever. ive actually rallycrossed on them and did fine. I had a lot more fun on re92s in the winter than on the set of hakkas i had. and i could get the re92s basically for free by buying and selling sets of wrx takeoff wheels.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I drive into work every morning at 3:30am [...] I get to use all four lanes to make large, wide winding turns into sweeping apex turns - practice for the track, if you will.
... just pinning it to get a slight AWD controlled slide, allowing for a higher speed corner exiting as I didn't have to worry about hitting anyone or anything.
I've spent more time on the track in the last two years than most people will get in a lifetime. I know how to drive my car and have never been in an accident, but have avoided them (caused by others) due to my ability and education in handling a car at the limits.

I just want to see if anyone else gets to have fun drvives like these. It's pretty rare to get a fun, unpopulated drive without being in BFE.
With regards to my driving, note again, that I drive in at 3:30AM. I rarely see other cars on the road, and when I do I slow down and take a lane. I'm not going to put anyone else at risk.

In all seriousness, I hope you get a bad scare and decide that public roads are no place to play around. You may be cool, but you're no JD. I mean, you spend all that time at the track anyways, right?

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Comment if you will, but I've spent more time on the track in the last two years than most people will get in a lifetime. I know how to drive my car and have never been in an accident, but have avoided them (caused by others) due to my ability and education in handling a car at the limits.

I just want to see if anyone else gets to have fun drvives like these. It's pretty rare to get a fun, unpopulated drive without being in BFE.
I had a friend named Mike that had the same attitude, he even raced cars & motorcycles (and won). The moose wasn't impressed. He's dead now... I really miss him.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my buddy just got finished with his whip. basically the complete opposite of your 400hp AWD car
565hp/650ft-lbs of RWD muscle car sketchiness.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
There isn't a road in this half of the state that you could "open" that Audi up on.

Would pay extra on the next trip to Snowshoe to run shotgun up from Lewisville with you. :rockout:

Wait til she gets new suspension. :D

my buddy just got finished with his whip. basically the complete opposite of your 400hp AWD car
565hp/650ft-lbs of RWD muscle car sketchiness.

Eventually my Audi and my 74 International Truck are both gonna have stainless steel lines all around. Sick ass job your buddy did there.