Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I drive into work every morning at 3:30am and the drive is a nice mix of properly banked on-ramps, wide and straight highway, winding over the mountain 4-lane highways, and city streets. One of the big upsides is because it is so early, the roads are empty and the cops are too busy pulling people over coming out of the City (drunks), that you effectively have an autobahn like drive. I get to use all four lanes to make large, wide winding turns into sweeping apex turns - practice for the track, if you will.

This morning we had a nice light rain going keep the roads perfectly slick, without being wet enough to form puddles. It was nice coming out of slow-mid speed corners and just pinning it to get a slight AWD controlled slide, allowing for a higher speed corner exiting as I didn't have to worry about hitting anyone or anything.

Anybody else have a nice, unpopulated commute where you can get a little loose and really get to drive your car? I'm sure the Mid-West and NE guys are getting crazy weather induced drives. Anybody else getting their 'rally inspired' drive on?

*IB 'I spun out when I hit an off-camber corner in the rain with 10 other people doing it too'

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Comment if you will, but I've spent more time on the track in the last two years than most people will get in a lifetime. I know how to drive my car and have never been in an accident, but have avoided them (caused by others) due to my ability and education in handling a car at the limits.

I just want to see if anyone else gets to have fun drvives like these. It's pretty rare to get a fun, unpopulated drive without being in BFE.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Comment if you will, but I've spent more time on the track in the last two years than most people will get in a lifetime. I know how to drive my car and have never been in an accident, but have avoided them (caused by others) due to my ability and education in handling a car at the limits.

I just want to see if anyone else gets to have fun drvives like these. It's pretty rare to get a fun, unpopulated drive without being in BFE.
Is that what you took his smile to mean? I thought he was just sitting back and being entertained.

So what "hill" do you have to come over?
ie, where are you living these days?

Oh, and it is too bad that you don't get any rough gravel roads thrown in there to boot. :thumb:

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is that what you took his smile to mean? I thought he was just sitting back and being entertained.

So what "hill" do you have to come over?
ie, where are you living these days?

Oh, and it is too bad that you don't get any rough gravel roads thrown in there to boot. :thumb:
I'm in Tiburon now (before you go there, I live with the help and retired people) and commute over 101S to the Golden Gate.

I would love to knock out some gravel roads. I am working on a full underbody skid plate currently, as since I lowered the forester I don't have enough clearance to do rally-X racing. I need to build the skid plate to protect the driveline and engine. I am also mocking up some mud flaps to keep the spray of gravel from f*ing up the paint too badly.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i beat the ever living sh*t out of the 85 & 88 GTI's i had in TN/CO.

bored at night....insomnia....get in car.....drive until sunrise....go to work...

i want a old bmw 2002 to continue doing this.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I used to do that coming into work in Los Gatos over highway 17 in the early morning in my Audi wagon. Only like 200whp, but a blast to drive in any weather. I miss that car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I drive into work every morning at 3:30am and the drive is a nice mix of properly banked on-ramps, wide and straight highway, winding over the mountain 4-lane highways, and city streets. One of the big upsides is because it is so early, the roads are empty and the cops are too busy pulling people over coming out of the City (drunks), that you effectively have an autobahn like drive. I get to use all four lanes to make large, wide winding turns into sweeping apex turns - practice for the track, if you will.

This morning we had a nice light rain going keep the roads perfectly slick, without being wet enough to form puddles. It was nice coming out of slow-mid speed corners and just pinning it to get a slight AWD controlled slide, allowing for a higher speed corner exiting as I didn't have to worry about hitting anyone or anything.

Anybody else have a nice, unpopulated commute where you can get a little loose and really get to drive your car? I'm sure the Mid-West and NE guys are getting crazy weather induced drives. Anybody else getting their 'rally inspired' drive on?

*IB 'I spun out when I hit an off-camber corner in the rain with 10 other people doing it too'

I'm in Tiburon now (before you go there, I live with the help and retired people) and commute over 101S to the Golden Gate.

I would love to knock out some gravel roads. I am working on a full underbody skid plate currently, as since I lowered the forester I don't have enough clearance to do rally-X racing. I need to build the skid plate to protect the driveline and engine. I am also mocking up some mud flaps to keep the spray of gravel from f*ing up the paint too badly.
Posteriquote

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I used to do that coming into work in Los Gatos over highway 17 in the early morning in my Audi wagon. Only like 200whp, but a blast to drive in any weather. I miss that car.
As comfortable as I am with 17, I keep myself in check on that road. There is very little room for error and most drivers on it don't know how to hold a line. T
here are a few spots where the road undulates enough to cause the back end to step out. I know those and can drive accordingly but have seen soccer moms in giant SUVs tailgating me almost lose it on those spots.

There is some disconnet with soccer moms around the 'if they can drive that fast, I can drive that fast' mentality. I just don't get it. Ever since I got Wife her new Forester XT and have been teaching her how to properly handle her car, she notices it and comments about how unsafe that driving is.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i love taking my truck out on the rural back roads around here.
it handles like its on rails since it sits so low and the suspension is so stiff, plus its acceleration is great. without the nicer tires i have on there, it would be a nightmare to control on hard acceleration.
if it didnt drink gas like a pig and wasnt atrocious in the snow, id keep it longer.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My drive home used to be fun, but I got busted for speeding a few weeks ago on the best part, so that's over now. 40km/hr over and you get your car seized and a week driving suspension. I got busted at 39 over. A little close for comfort.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Reading the first post I thought.....WRX? Audi?..........nope.......a Forester.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do you race other lesbians at stop lights?
Not quite your average Lesbaru.

Plus the 2004 FXT has the same forged block as the STI. Only difference is a smaller turbo and more restrictive exhaust. Both of which are easily fixable, and with a minor tune, wa-lah. STI hatch for $16k:thumb:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Like polishing a turd......the Chrysler Town and Country minivan rims drive the point home. :rofl:

Oh BTW......cast iron blocks FTW....

Last edited:

padrik5

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Silverdale, Wa
YOU! your the jack ass ripping by me every morning on my commute to work!

learn how to to drive jackass!

leave the racer boi sh!t on the track...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

And the chains... ;)

Tiburon is cool. I was always in the city, so anything outside is bridge and tunnel to me.

Of course now I'm in Mission viejo, the burbiest of the burbs, so who am I to talk?

the wife and I are looking at a used BMW 535xi AWD wagon right now to replace her AWD 6cyl Passat. I tried talking her into an outback but she refuses to even look at them. Her loss.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a short strip about 5 miles long with some sweet linked turns and a couple nice straights through farmland with no side roads.

My R1 was 167bhp and 390lbs wet. Nothing beats it in the twisties. I had a few nice runs into Ashland, but not this time of year. The Triumph hasn't been out of the garage in 3 months :(

<edit> He didn't like it, either.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I grew up on backroads with gravel stretching endlessly for miles around in rural NC. They filmed some of the first Nissan Maxima commercials near my home and a classic car chase movie called Rutherford County Line. If there is one thing I love to do, it's gravel drifts.

I rode motocross in my child and teen years. Giving me a car on pavement was a bad idea. Rolled it on my arm four weeks in. That was actually my third wreck in it after having hydroplaned it twice in one night ending in a side swipe of a parked tree.

Wrecked the next vehicle or ran it into others 3 separate times in the next year and half. Had my license taken for a year at age 19 when my fourth trooper finally caught me on a dead end road. Cried like a little girl :fie: b/c I thought I was gonna get a beat down.

Since, I've been blessed to have a clean driving record and a passion for downhill mountain bikes to get my jollies.:) Twenty years clean so far....

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Remember - he already wrecked his WRX in the rain. :D
Hence my comment in the initial post. As for the ricer boi commentary, keep it coming. It is externally a stock car on WRX (OEM) struts and OEM wheels from an 08 FXT Sport. It is quiet, running a stock STI (silent) blow-off valve and a hush exhaust. I am actually putting the resonator back in next week to quiet it down more and re-balance my tq/hp ration to tq heavy. As for the rest of the 'upgrades' they are OEM parts from the STI. I wanted an STI and I wanted a hatch, but I wasn't going to pay a $15k premuim for a sedan that was riced out (see giant wing) or a $37k STI Hatch.

With regards to my driving, note again, that I drive in at 3:30AM. I rarely see other cars on the road, and when I do I slow down and take a lane. I'm not going to put anyone else at risk. If I put myself into a wall, I do it by myself.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
didn't muddy beast already do this thread a few years back?

edit...it wasn't him. Who was the kid who wrecked his Ford Tempo in his high school parking lot about 3 years ago?

edit #2: Dammit....was it Red Rabbit??

Last edited: