Quantcast

awd vs 4wd

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Westy said:
The Element may not be as big as some other vehicles but you definately get some great volume for the $$. I love the plastic floors, now that it comes with all painted quarter panels I'm considering trading in the WRX for one.
not a bad point. however, you can pick up a used Trooper 2 with a 4 cylinder for a grand, and have the same room and gas mileage.

...providing it gets you there this century...or at all:D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MtnBikerChk said:
I dunno, we had to replace IABs transmission on his 10,000 mile outback wagon.

I like my explorer because if I want to go to Home Depot and by lots of big stuff, I can - and I don't have to think about "will it fit." Also, I like putting my bikes inside the back rather than outside.

The only Subaru I would buy would be a Tribeca - and I would never buy a car in its first year.....

I agree that awd sounds better for me but like Douglas said, it doesn't look like they offer it. I will know more soon.

THANKS.
I used to think I would never buy a car in it's first year, but last September, I bought an '05 Chevy Equinox and I absolutely love it! It's AWD, rides as comfortably as a car, but the seats fold flat so you can carry quite a lot of gear or whatever like a truck/larger SUV and it gets 23 mpg everywhere.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Just get a AWD car or FWD car and put some studs on. There isnt really any reason to have a truck in new england for weather reasons only. The roads are always cleared within 12 hours. If you have studs your only problem might be getting high centered where a snow plow went by. But usually a Subi will pull you right out if its not too deep.
Get a Subi if your worried about all this technical crap. Audis are very expensive and depending on wich year, unreliable. Our Subi is a 90' Legacy GT with 220k miles on it. However, i used to work with a guy in Idaho who would drive his Porshe 944 to the ski shop in the winter, and Ive seen it come out of some big snow piles. And thats without studs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're welcome

just keep in mind there are a butt ton of different differentials out there. LSDs come in all shapes and sizes, including mechanical, helical, and viscous. Viscous is the most common, and though people will tell you they aren't as good for performance driving, I have one and it spins both wheels at the same time when I want it to, but not when I don't, which I think is the point.

This makes me miss AWD, RWD is fun but when the rain comes :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Before I got my audi, I was up in montreal, and there was a small storm that dumped about 6 inches on the city, leaving about 4" of fresh powder in the roadways. That pretty much sealed the deal for me getting AWD.

Also, somebody brought up a good point- tires. Tires are the single most important thing on your car. You can have 3 locked differentials and you will still get stuck if you have bad tires. If driving in the snow is even possible, buy a set of good snow tires. They don't have to be studded, just high quality. This also allows you to run summer specific tires in the summertime, which will give you better dry traction. The overall investment is worth it compared to allseasons.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sandwich said:
Before I got my audi, I was up in montreal, and there was a small storm that dumped about 6 inches on the city, leaving about 4" of fresh powder in the roadways. That pretty much sealed the deal for me getting AWD.

Also, somebody brought up a good point- tires. Tires are the single most important thing on your car. You can have 3 locked differentials and you will still get stuck if you have bad tires. If driving in the snow is even possible, buy a set of good snow tires. They don't have to be studded, just high quality. This also allows you to run summer specific tires in the summertime, which will give you better dry traction. The overall investment is worth it compared to allseasons.
Very true. Everyone here has to have good snow tires for the winter, studs are not allowed by law. (Our roads are bad enough, I can only imagine if they allowed studs on asphalt). Good tires are $1000 well spent!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Transcend said:
Very true. Everyone here has to have good snow tires for the winter, studs are not allowed by law. (Our roads are bad enough, I can only imagine if they allowed studs on asphalt). Good tires are $1000 well spent!
I had an '85 T-Bird when I went to school in Northern Ny, rear wheel drive no locking diff. With regular tires I would get stuck in flat plowed parking lots. With snow tires the only thing that stopped that car was ground clearance. If you want a 4wd vehicle for winter you could save money just going with good snow tires on a cheap set of steel wheels.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
get a used Land Rover discovery, they're cheap used wich makes up for the poor gass milage, and is you ever encounter a 45 degree slope covered in black-ice you can just roll up it or go one step further and slap a winch on the front end as i have done and no matter how big the storm or the body of water in the way you will make it to work.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmk...you might have missed the last 53 posts, but she's asking the difference between awd and 4wd, as she has apparently already settled on a vehicle. We also discussed how Land rovers are british. mmmm, lucas- prince of darkness.

To westy- I think the Tbird came with a viscous limited slip in the rear, similar to my conquest. Not terrible when traction is limited, which is probably why you made it out of so many snowbanks (plus good snow tires, duh).

Although some have suggested FWD, AWD is worlds beyond what a FWD car can do. In order,
4lo,
4hi,
AWD,
FWD,
RWD.
Why? Think of 4 lo as the granny gear on your bike. If you need torque to get out of a sticky situation, that's your goal. 4hi makes sure front and rear wheels are spinning. AWD can drive any wheel that has traction. FWD is better in inclement weather than RWD for two reasons, 1- more weight over the drive wheels. This naturally gives you more traction. 2- RWD causes the entire car to rotate when it loses traction, instead of just spinning the front wheels and having the front end slide across the pavement. This is WAY less disconcerting to an amateur driver, and 90% of the time, it's what you feel most comfortable in that's going to protect you, and protect me.

If you're trading your 99 in, buy a set of crappy used tires and swap them. Nobody will notice when you trade it in on a new car. Buy a set of 50k mi tires on alloys and swap them just before you trade it in. Put the good tires on your new car. The bolt pattern should be the same, and I doubt your resale value will drop AT ALL if you swap bad tires onto it. You should be able to pick up a set of wheels and tires for pennies after some joker put big 35"ers on his rig.

Also, if that's not possible, look at used tires. I bought a set for my audi that were near new (8/10 tread depth) mounted on alloys for $150. I got 4 additional rims and an extra, brand new, tire. Deals are out there, just keep your eyes open.

Sandwich said:
mmk...you might have missed the last 53 posts, but she's asking the difference between awd and 4wd, as she has apparently already settled on a vehicle. We also discussed how Land rovers are british. mmmm, lucas- prince of darkness.
You are my new best friend :)

and re: tire swap - great idea except the new explorer will not have the same size wheels :(