Quantcast

awesome family bike tour idea

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
someone on another forum was talking about the Gulf and Discovery Islands in BC, Canada... due to a fair amount of distance covered by ferries, it looks like their bike tour would be about 10 miles per day.

You wouldn't need to carry overnight gear, so I could carry all the clothes, toiletries, etc., put the kid or two on the back of a tandem with trailer on my bike and bam, easy and fun family vacation.

You couldn't do it much faster with a car.

The only hassle would be getting all the bikes there or renting.

Does anyone know of or done such family oriented bike tours?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sounds like a cool idea, but would your wife want to do this as well?
Obviously, we need to wait until the kid(s) are old enough, but she thought it was a brilliant idea! She likes biking, but the idea of doing 50+miles every single day for a week straight isn't her idea of fun, so 10 miles through islands was very appealing :)

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Obviously, we need to wait until the kid(s) are old enough, but she thought it was a brilliant idea! She likes biking, but the idea of doing 50+miles every single day for a week straight isn't her idea of fun, so 10 miles through islands was very appealing :)
Hooray, a wife that like some form of bikey. Lucky bastard.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
This is correct. Aditionally, there's an extra special dialect, spoken only by pinkshirt, which is commonly refered to as "illiterate."
If this was about a language other than idiot RM could be considered a highly advanced society. Sorry Opie your thread has been derailed. So take the wife and child and hop on a bike.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
He will also need to ask for help on homework, but he might go the way of manimal's Noah which would be a positive addition to the RM society.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
So far our kid just speaks jibberish although he is starting say things like, Mamma, Daddy, and bike.

Wife, baby, and I have done some day touring but never any overnights. Ride 10 miles, stop and check stuff out for a little while, ride another 10, repeat 2 or 3 times. With the baby in tow, 10 mile chunks are about all you can get before he gets restless.

Your island hopping idea sounds fantastic. We were also looking into doing a hut to hut ride across Scotland as well (all single track). We would probably need to dump the kid off on grandma for that one though. I'd also like to ride the length of the C&O canal. I think with moderate effort and lots of breaks we could do that towing the burley and a bob in about a week to a week and a half, camping or staying in B&B's along the way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So far our kid just speaks jibberish although he is starting say things like, Mamma, Daddy, and bike.

Wife, baby, and I have done some day touring but never any overnights. Ride 10 miles, stop and check stuff out for a little while, ride another 10, repeat 2 or 3 times. With the baby in tow, 10 mile chunks are about all you can get before he gets restless.

Your island hopping idea sounds fantastic. We were also looking into doing a hut to hut ride across Scotland as well (all single track). We would probably need to dump the kid off on grandma for that one though. I'd also like to ride the length of the C&O canal. I think with moderate effort and lots of breaks we could do that towing the burley and a bob in about a week to a week and a half, camping or staying in B&B's along the way.
You're further along than we are, so keep us posted about trips y'all take :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We're going to try some longer distance trips with Syd as well. Our pace is pretty good when we ride (Syd & I) so I can do 15-18 miles in an hour and she doesn't get restless at all, BUT that was last summer so we'll see what the "terrible twos" do to our scheduled rides :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We're going to try some longer distance trips with Syd as well. Our pace is pretty good when we ride (Syd & I) so I can do 15-18 miles in an hour and she doesn't get restless at all, BUT that was last summer so we'll see what the "terrible twos" do to our scheduled rides :D
You're a good bit faster than us... :) I think we run 12-15 mph. Jamie has always had issues being strapped into anything. I imagine his 2's are going to be a nightmare. He turns one this Saturday and he's already getting a real attitude about doing things his way or no way.

Are you able to take Syd out in the winter months? We kind of stopped riding with Jamie since around the end of November because we thought it would be too cold for him in the trailer, (though he did get a nice insulated snow suit for Christmas).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
You're a good bit faster than us... :) I think we run 12-15 mph. Jamie has always had issues being strapped into anything. I imagine his 2's are going to be a nightmare. He turns one this Saturday and he's already getting a real attitude about doing things his way or no way.

Are you able to take Syd out in the winter months? We kind of stopped riding with Jamie since around the end of November because we thought it would be too cold for him in the trailer, (though he did get a nice insulated snow suit for Christmas).
We haven't taken her out since the very beginning of December/end of November either. It got cold and we got too busy. She's been riding her trike around the basement while I spin and lately, jumping on the trampoline.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Sounds like a great idea. I can't wait to see your posts at the 6month and 18 month ages of your kid. They are so much fun to bring along- like your own little buddy.

I've been wanting to take my kid out, but I'm terrified of cars with the kid (racing around philly is not a problem for me by myself). Wish there was an all bike trail tour or something so I didn't have to worry about 2 ton vehicles.