Quantcast

awesome! no, wait....not awesome.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so at work today, i take this call. guy asks if i can install a disk wheel on a Trek. i said yes, and that there shouldn't be a problem. a few more sentances were exchanged, and i got the sense that this guy didn't know too well what was going on.

he comes in and the bike is a Project One. damn fine bike with a nice paint job. pulls the disk wheel out of a box...it's signed by Lance for the Austin cycling community. ****in' badass, right?

well, then we all find out the bike belongs to a lady that was recently hit and killed. the Project One was the bike she was riding at the time of her death. quickly, my excitement turned to sorrow. the assistant manager took over the job, and we got the story that the bike was going to be hung on the wall as inspiration for the man that had brough it in. not sure what his story was, but i heard mention of the Lance Armstrong Foundation...perhaps the guy was a cancer survivor, not sure.

so i was standing there, watching the a.m. swap the tire and cassette...kind of a humbling. a month ago, a lady was riding this bike when she was killed. driver of the car, as far as we know, has yet to be found. crazy. kind of zoned out, and was sort of imagining what her last moments were like.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
not really. i think there were some shifting issues, one piece of the aerobar was tweaked, and the computer was off-center. i didn't really look real close, though. i didn't want the guy to think i was drooling over a bike his close friend was killed on, you know? i kept my distance after realizing whose it was.