Quantcast

awesome spam

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm not even sure how this is beneficial...there is no links, only an email address? People are crackpots.

Subject: Job offer!
Date: April 30, 2006 3:37:14 PM EDT (CA)
To: fraser@transcendmagazine.com

To whom it may concern,

Let us inform you that MNS, Inc starts a new project in the USA and is looking for a reliable, well-motivated and
well-executive person to take care of the project??™s needs. The job requires a flexible schedule shift.

According to this fact we are offering you a position of the Executive Manager of MNS, Inc.
If you are interested in starting business activity or searching a secure managing job, please response this message for
more detailed description of the opportunity with your CV or Resume attached to the message.
Please forward all your questions and comments to job@mnsservice.com

With due respect,
Human resources department of MNS, Inc.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
you reply to the email and it adds your email to a list that then gets sold to other spammers.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
You probably replied to it automatically when you opened the email. Most of these spam companies use an auto-reply of some sort just to find out which of the email addresses they sent to are actual.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
peter6061 said:
You probably replied to it automatically when you opened the email. Most of these spam companies use an auto-reply of some sort just to find out which of the email addresses they sent to are actual.
Not all email clients do that, and the ones that do usually have a way of disabling it.

Transcend, the people who respond to that are probably the same people who log in to check the status of their paypal account when they get an email telling them to do so.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
peter6061 said:
Trust me, I didn't.

Incidentally, they don't use an auto reply. They use a tracking system based on a 1x1 px invisible gif. If images are off (as they are by default in mac mail) they can't do a thing.

Moral of the story: set image loading to off in your preferences. :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Images are already off. I don't even receive mail from people I haven't approved. Still get a bunch of the traditional <auto-reply> stuff, so it doesn't get opened.

Basically, if I don't know you, you better put something in your subject that really identifies something specific to me or you're deleted from the junk mail folder.