Quantcast

Awesome stuff in 2013

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmmm...cause the big draw of the special ed is the short stays. If you just want a sluggish long travel 29er, the WFO has existed for years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just need to chime and say that in 2013, XX1 is pretty friggin' awesome. Totally clean and silent set up. I've always had a close, personal relationship with my granny gears but the spread is wide enough that I can get away with the 1X. I am not using a guide and I haven't dropped my chain once, not even pedaling through rocks at speed in Downieville. We'll see how it works out durability-wise, but as far as function goes, I am on board. (And I'm one of those guys who swore off SRAM drivetrains a while back.)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just need to chime and say that in 2013, XX1 is pretty friggin' awesome. Totally clean and silent set up. I've always had a close, personal relationship with my granny gears but the spread is wide enough that I can get away with the 1X. I am not using a guide and I haven't dropped my chain once, not even pedaling through rocks at speed in Downieville. We'll see how it works out durability-wise, but as far as function goes, I am on board. (And I'm one of those guys who swore off SRAM drivetrains a while back.)
Now if we could just get some price point trickle down...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Agreed. I hope the come out with cheaper cassettes before I need a new one. :D

Hopefully the RF narrow/ride rings will be pretty reasonable, and I suspect more budget minded (if heavier) 42 tooth cog cassettes will be available soon enough.

Btw, if memory serves, didn't you have a carbon Nomad nicked awhile back? If so, any comparisons to the new Bronson (<-- congrats on that hotness)?

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hopefully the RF narrow/ride rings will be pretty reasonable, and I suspect more budget minded (if heavier) 42 tooth cog cassettes will be available soon enough.

Btw, if memory serves, didn't you have a carbon Nomad nicked awhile back? If so, any comparisons to the new Bronson (<-- congrats on that hotness)?
The XX1 rings actually are not too expensive - around $80 -$90 - and you only need one. The cassettes, on the other hand, are $425. :eek:

Good memory: Yes, I had a carbon nomad stolen 3 or 4 months ago. The bronson is more refined in pretty much every way. It just destroys fast and rocky trails, and climbing is much better due to geometry and suspension changes (steeper seat angle, more reach, less wallowing, etc.). Little things like stealth reverb and other tweaks (combined with the clean set up of the XX1) all add up to make it a joy. It's a little more of a handful in super tight and twisty stuff - changing direction is slightly slower, which I think is mostly from the bigger wheels, but those have their advantages too and the bike is light enough that it's more a technique adjustment than anything. (I got the enve/xx1/xtr brakes kit. With pedals it's a hair under 27 lbs.)

I'm not sure I would have ditched my nomad to get a bronson - nomad is still a great bike - but I am super stoked on my new ride.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the aftermarket is going to be all over this soon enough (big cassettes as well as ring rip offs [a couple of which are already out there]).

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
the aftermarket is going to be all over this soon enough (big cassettes as well as ring rip offs [a couple of which are already out there]).

I'm running that WolfsTooth ring in a 30t for the 104bcd pattern and loving it. I've completely removed any and all chainguide devices on Pivot 5.7c aside from a Zee rear derailleur and it's the perfect setup for me. 2013 piece of awesome for sure!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm running that WolfsTooth ring in a 30t for the 104bcd pattern and loving it. I've completely removed any and all chainguide devices on Pivot 5.7c aside from a Zee rear derailleur and it's the perfect setup for me. 2013 piece of awesome for sure!
how do you like that zee setup? i'm eye f*ing the zee short cage with the 9speed mod for my DH setup.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
how do you like that zee setup? i'm eye f*ing the zee short cage with the 9speed mod for my DH setup.
I bought the Zee derailleur with a 36t capacity and 25t chain wrap and it's been bitching. The setup is super compact, it shifts great all the time and as previously mentioned I've not dropped a chain. I usually run Sram X0 but I decided to try an XT setup, then went to a Zee 1x10 combo. I'm installing an XT 2x10 setup with the Ispec shifters tonight for this weekends 24hr race but then it will be back to XT/Zee.

I'm dumping the 9speed Sram X0 setup that's currently on my DH bike for an XT shifter/Zee derailleur as well.
At Sea Otter this year I snapped this pic and talked to the guys at RaceFace and I'll match a 36t ring with a 7sped setup with 10spd spacing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's pretty cool. If I can't get the 8 speed "speedhole" method to work with my current setup, I'd be tempted to switch to 10 speed. Though I'm all in favor of wider chain spacing, the chainline on my current bike is so bad that I probably should consider locking out the top three gears. Getting 7 on the outside of the freehub would give me gears and proper spacing. Thanks for the feedback!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm dumping the 9speed Sram X0 setup that's currently on my DH bike for an XT shifter/Zee derailleur as well.
At Sea Otter this year I snapped this pic and talked to the guys at RaceFace and I'll match a 36t ring with a 7sped setup with 10spd spacing.
hey what cassette were you looking at? Kind of tough finding one that'll drop three gears and not 4 or all of them...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
hey what cassette were you looking at? Kind of tough finding one that'll drop three gears and not 4 or all of them...
check the sram low-ish end (850, 950, etc) cassettes. those are usually just held together by a single allen pin so you can just take 'em apart and use whatever.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i'm running the zee w/ an 11-36 10 speed (w/ 32 single front) as well. solid wide range, great value setup.
Ditto.

Question for you though, were you able to set up the rear derailleur to take up enough slack for the 11t cog to be usable? I've had to limit out that 11t cog caus my chain is to long and the ss derailleur can't take up all the slack. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Action-tec individual titanium cogs is the ideal setup, but for now I have an old 12-27t 8speed alloy cassette that I've re-spaced to 10speed and dumped a set of cogs from. 6speed is hard to get the limits to work correctly on an X0 derailleur so I'm moving to Zee and going to 7. The Action-tec should shift a little smoother too. If you need some cogs, I have a bucket full here from Shimano and Sram cassettes that I never used that I could send you.

Ditto.

Question for you though, were you able to set up the rear derailleur to take up enough slack for the 11t cog to be usable? I've had to limit out that 11t cog caus my chain is to long and the ss derailleur can't take up all the slack. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
I thought the same thing setting mine up. I ended up taking one chain link out. As the cage rotates it creates additional clearance for the 36t cog, which then allows you to turn the B-limit screw out to allow the derailleur to sit further forward and let suspension to cycle without issue in the 36t ring.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
The problem for me is if I climb on the bike and then walk it I find it even more exhausting like my calves begin to burn.

I wouldn't have thought I would need the 22/36 option I have but it's really nice to pedal anything up and with the shadow+ derailleur I don't need a chainguide. Ride is quite too. Stays the weight penalty...