Quantcast

Awesome!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
"D'Janay, 17, said she passed the English section on the first try but has failed the math part three times. She is taking an extra remedial math class this semester to help her pass the test, in addition to her Algebra II class and two Advanced Placement courses. She said she has a 2.0 grade point average.

"I am totally freaking out that I may not graduate," said D'Janay, who attended a rally against the exit exam this week in a park next to her high school.

"No matter what happens, I'm going to college because I need college to further my education," she said."

If you can't pass the math portion of the test and have a 2.0 GPA maybe you really should spend a couple extra years in high school. And this person plans on going to college. Well honey, I got news for ya. The math requirement to graduate from college is considerably higher then high school.

This article is a perfect example of people not taking education seriously. It's sad, really.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Some suggestions........
www.ourfuture.org/document.cfm?documentID=1415
California gets about 50 mil cut.
This passed by the way.

Plus you have this kind of thing going on in other states in addition to budget cuts.

http://columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=15569

Two other books were adopted instead, Chiras said. One, largely funded by the coal-mining industry, contains 62 pages on mining and only four paragraphs on its environmental impact. The other changed a time reference to avoid contradicting some fundamentalist Christians’ belief that the Earth was created 6,000 years ago. It amended a reference to ice ages from millions of years ago to read ice ages of the “distant past.”
I care about education too. Do what I do and don't vote for douchebags.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ciaran said:
"D'Janay, 17, said she passed the English section on the first try but has failed the math part three times. She is taking an extra remedial math class this semester to help her pass the test, in addition to her Algebra II class and two Advanced Placement courses. She said she has a 2.0 grade point average.

"I am totally freaking out that I may not graduate," said D'Janay, who attended a rally against the exit exam this week in a park next to her high school.

"No matter what happens, I'm going to college because I need college to further my education," she said."

If you can't pass the math portion of the test and have a 2.0 GPA maybe you really should spend a couple extra years in high school. And this person plans on going to college. Well honey, I got news for ya. The math requirement to graduate from college is considerably higher then high school.

This article is a perfect example of people not taking education seriously. It's sad, really.

That's pretty sad. I passed that test the first time I took it sophomore year. Honeslty one of the easiest standardized tests I have ever.taken.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
chicodude said:
That's pretty sad. I passed that test the first time i took it sophmore year. honeslty one of the easiest standardized (sp?) tests I have ever taken
It must be pretty easy. Apparently, spelling is not a requirement.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ciaran said:

Even I can't defend this dumbass. You need college but you cannot pass a basic math exam.

But I wonder about this exam. For example, while blacks and Latinos passed this exam around the 60's percentile, Asians passed at 89% while whites passed at 90%.

Any math test where whites do better than Asians has to be questioned.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BSEVEER said:
How the hell could a math test be made easier for any specific race?
How could, or rather WHY should *any* test be made easier for anyone? Can't understand it cause you speak spanish (or "ebonics")? Guess what buddy. You better learn to speak English better. I am just amazed that people come here thinking that they don't need to learn to speak English. This is America, our official language in English, learn it!!!

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Ciaran said:
How could, or rather WHY should *any* test be made easier for anyone? Can't understand it cause you speak spanish (or "ebonics")? Guess what buddy. You better learn to speak English better. I am just amazed that people come here thinking that they don't need to learn to speak English. This is America, our official language in English, learn it!!!
As I understood it the USA does not yet have an official language?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ciaran said:

Isn't math like, all numbers and junk?

What does English have to do with it, unless it's all like, I dunno, spelled out or something?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
H8R said:

What does English have to do with it, unless it's all like, I dunno, spelled out or something?
Well what about the "two trains traveling in opposite directions" questions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
H8R said:

We call them "word problems".

True story, they ask you questions in text......but with no numbers included. You have to like make up the numbers and stuff.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
kidwoo said:
We call them "word problems".

True story, they ask you questions in text......but with no numbers included. You have to like make up the numbers and stuff.
That's not math though, right? that's like questions and stuff.

They should ask in English if they want it answered in math English. Or something.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Ciaran said:

How are these kids passing their classes if they cant pass this test? I say the problem points to the teachers.

On a personal note. I suck at math and would have struggled at that part of the test most likely. Some people are gifted in one area but bad at others. Seriously, I have done just fine in the creative industry for the last 10 years. Who gives a crap if I need a calculator every once in a while. My point... I think they should modify the pass fail part of the test. What if someone is amazing at writing but crappy at science or math? Should they not be allowed to graduate based on a skill that they will never use?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
golgiaparatus said:
How are these kids passing their classes if they cant pass this test? I say the problem points to the teachers.

On a personal note. I suck at math and would have struggled at that part of the test most likely. Some people are gifted in one area but bad at others. Seriously, I have done just fine in the creative industry for the last 10 years. Who gives a crap if I need a calculator every once in a while. My point... I think they should modify the pass fail part of the test. What if someone is amazing at writing but crappy at science or math? Should they not be allowed to graduate based on a skill that they will never use?
"The exit exam — which has come under criticism by some educators, legislators and civil rights advocates — is geared to an eighth-grade level in math and to ninth- and 10th-grade levels in English."

An 8th grade level in math.....in our school system a regular 8th grade level was pre-algebra.....that's some pretty basic stuff. If they were asking them to pass a calc or even pre-calc test then I might agree, but not this level. Having to use a calculator doesn't mean you don't understand some of the concepts behind what you're using it for. Hell, I have a degree in Engineering and still count on my fingers! :p

Really really makes me wonder how these kids are passing their classes though...to get to be a senior and not be able to pass this stuff...WTF??? Are the teachers just letting 'em skate? I would think that's where the real problem lies!!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
golgiaparatus said:

If the kid can't pass EIGHTH GRADE LEVEL math then no, he shouldn't be allowed to graduate. We're not talking about algebra here, let alone calc or trig. Eighth grade level means that any 8th grader should be able to answer the questions. I suck at math too, but if I can't grasp basic math then I am getting tested for a learning disability.