Quantcast

Aww'nold on a mission to terminate fat kids

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
:thumb:


Calif. Gov. Signs Ban on School Junk Food
Associated Press | Sep 15 | TOM CHORNEAU

SACRAMENTO, Calif - The food served in California schools will be healthier starting next fall under legislation signed Thursday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The new laws impose a campus ban on the sale of sodas, set a new nutritional standard for vending-machine snacks, and require more fruits and vegetables in meal planning.

The former bodybuilding champion and fitness expert said the new rules are all part of a new effort to fight childhood obesity.

"California is facing an obesity epidemic," Schwarzenegger said at a conference on childhood obesity. "And more and more, children are becoming part of the problem."

Lawmakers made California the first state in the nation to ban the sale of soft drinks in middle and elementary schools two years ago. One of the bills signed by the governor Thursday will expand that ban to include high schools.

Beginning next July, students will be allowed to buy only water, milk, and some fruit and sport drinks that have limited sweeteners.

The governor also signed a bill that will raise nutritional standards for foods sold in school vending machines and regulate the number of calories that can come from fat and sugar. It also takes effect next July.

Another bill provides $18.2 million during this fiscal year to offer more fruits and vegetables in school meal programs.

The California bills set a new standard nationally for healthy school foods, according to the Washington D.C.-based Center for Science in the Public Interest.

"Coke, Pepsi and other junk-food marketers enjoy being in schools because they know it is one of the only places they can target kids without parental interference," said Margo Wootan, the center's nutritional policy director said in a statement.

"But in California, parents have clearly had enough, and leaders of both parties took notice," she said.

Susan Neely, president of the American Beverage Association, called the ban on sodas "unnecessary" and said that students and parents would have been better served by a voluntary program.

"We believe this complex problem would be more effectively addressed by educating students on the importance of living a balanced lifestyle," Neely said in a statement.
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
N8 said:
:thumb:


Calif. Gov. Signs Ban on School Junk Food
Associated Press | Sep 15 | TOM CHORNEAU

SACRAMENTO, Calif - The food served in California schools will be healthier starting next fall under legislation signed Thursday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The new laws impose a campus ban on the sale of sodas, set a new nutritional standard for vending-machine snacks, and require more fruits and vegetables in meal planning.

The former bodybuilding champion and fitness expert said the new rules are all part of a new effort to fight childhood obesity.

"California is facing an obesity epidemic," Schwarzenegger said at a conference on childhood obesity. "And more and more, children are becoming part of the problem."

Lawmakers made California the first state in the nation to ban the sale of soft drinks in middle and elementary schools two years ago. One of the bills signed by the governor Thursday will expand that ban to include high schools.

Beginning next July, students will be allowed to buy only water, milk, and some fruit and sport drinks that have limited sweeteners.

The governor also signed a bill that will raise nutritional standards for foods sold in school vending machines and regulate the number of calories that can come from fat and sugar. It also takes effect next July.

Another bill provides $18.2 million during this fiscal year to offer more fruits and vegetables in school meal programs.

The California bills set a new standard nationally for healthy school foods, according to the Washington D.C.-based Center for Science in the Public Interest.

"Coke, Pepsi and other junk-food marketers enjoy being in schools because they know it is one of the only places they can target kids without parental interference," said Margo Wootan, the center's nutritional policy director said in a statement.

"But in California, parents have clearly had enough, and leaders of both parties took notice," she said.

Susan Neely, president of the American Beverage Association, called the ban on sodas "unnecessary" and said that students and parents would have been better served by a voluntary program.

"We believe this complex problem would be more effectively addressed by educating students on the importance of living a balanced lifestyle," Neely said in a statement.

At least he's taking one thing away from the schools they don't need. As for funding, teachers, books, etc. I think that's something he should give back!

Arnold is a disaster...
 

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
644
0
In a box
I think this is a great idea, but I think it's going to backfire. This just takes more responsibility off the parents to raise their children properly. Instead of kids smoking in the boys room, they'll be eating twinkies in the boys room.
 

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
398
0
C-Me Valley, CA
Ya, but "Not in my backyard"

"... there are soda vending machines on the 6th floor (across from the cafeteria). There is also a vending machines and a fresh coffee counter near the ATM machines in the Capitol basement cafeteria area...."
ASSEMBLY & SENATE BUDGET SUBCOMMITTEE HEARINGS

"Two days before he was sworn into office, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger accepted a consulting job paying an estimated $8 million over five years to "further the business objectives" of a national publisher of health and bodybuilding magazines."
Los Angeles Times July 14, 2005

"As you know, I'm a big believer in the mind," "Just be positive, and kick some butt." ... Schwarzenegger
 

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
5,247
0
Brooklyn
awesome.. now lets get the rest of our country to do it!!!

NYC actually had it in the plans to to that a few years back in the public school. The only problem was that for a lot of the kids school lunches were the only good meals they would have in a day, so they give them meals high in calories...sad but true
 

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
93
0
amazing, he's actually done something that I agree with.

now if he would just get the f*ck out of my state (or at least out of the government) I'd be really happy.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
grundy said:
amazing, he's actually done something that I agree with.

now if he would just get the f*ck out of my state (or at least out of the government) I'd be really happy.
:stupid: My thoughts exactly. I do give props for getting the sodas out of schools
 

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
93
0
MMike said:
Americans are weird.....
we are weird, in many ways. and, it seems to me, one of those ways is a general disregard for long term thinking, a disregard which you see manifested over and over. disregard for proper nutrition, and more importantly disregard for teaching decent eating habits to children is only one example, and one which needs to be addressed. I saw a survey on the news the other night regarding consumption of soda and fast food by American youth. I forget the numbers now, but it was something like: more than 50% of American youth consume a soda and fast food every day, in addition a staggering number consume fast food 3-4 times per day.

amazing, and frightening at the same time.
 

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
6,143
0
Floating down the Hudson
What, are kids going to have to show ID to eat at McDonald's now?

It's good that he's intervening, but kids need to learn good nutrition from parents too and choose to eat well, not be forced to
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
bluebug32 said:
What, are kids going to have to show ID to eat at McDonald's now?

It's good that he's intervening, but kids need to learn good nutrition from parents too and choose to eat well, not be forced to
we are talking about kids here. given the choice between junk or a pear, most will choose junk. i don't think there is anything wrong with forcing kids to eat healthy. most wouldn't brush their teeth, go to a doctor or dentist, bathe regularly, sleep enough, etc. if someone wasn't there to make them. its not really forcing them to eat healthy, its taking away the option to eat crap. i don't think kids (especially young kids) should even be given the option of junk in a school setting.
 

ncxj

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
21
0
Garner, NC
I think its a good attempt but agree that parents should teach kids how to eat. I remember when I was a kid there were hardly any fat kids. I think one thing schools need to do is quit giving so much homework so kids can actually go OUTSIDE and play. It worked for me growing up. I know some kids that have like 2-3 hrs homework in 4th grade! Thats insane! Also parents need to take notice and quit letting there kids play video games all the time. But this is coming from someone who has ADHD and wouldnt have done homework if he was payed!
 

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
217
0
Calgary, Canada eh?
The Uni I goto requires purchasing of a food plan card. It would be impossible to eat healthy for an entire year. Really sucks that I buy junk food or else my money would just goto waste. Guess it could be worse.. but some people have gained close to 10lbs already and ive only been here for a few weeks.
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
ncxj said:
Man that food was awesome! The soy-burgers were so totally delish!
jk

the burgers at my high school were about 50% tvp (textured vegetable protien) because its cheap and makes the beef last longer. if you go to public high school, you are probably eating the same thing.
 

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
3,978
1
Chandler, AZ, USA
Yeah, the TVP gives them that rubberised hockey puck texture. Actually I sort of liked them, they still tasted sort of like meat but weren't greasy.
 

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
65
0
tha boot
It's pretty pathetic when politicians have to legislate about you being a lard a$$. Parents should take more responsibility in raising their kids...encourage them to participate in sports and be active and stop with the TV and video games. Then look at the parents they are slobs too...so this is just feel good legislation, it's not going to solve the problem that Americans are grossly overweight, fat, huge and damn proud of it.
 

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
1,160
0
Cape Cod, MA
I think they should have a special scale that takes in your height build and weight before you buy from a snack machine or lunchline, and if you are over a certain weight/body fat percentage, you should have to go to the salad line. that way us normal sized kids (im 16 years old, 170 lbs, and 6' tall) can get all the good treats and sodas and food.
 

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
93
0
Jamsoul said:
It's pretty pathetic when politicians have to legislate about you being a lard a$$. Parents should take more responsibility in raising their kids...encourage them to participate in sports and be active and stop with the TV and video games. Then look at the parents they are slobs too...so this is just feel good legislation, it's not going to solve the problem that Americans are grossly overweight, fat, huge and damn proud of it.
y'know, I don't fully agree with you. yes, parents should be more active in raising their children responsibly. but, as laura pointed out, these are children, and will behave as such. I for one was raised on a healthy diet, and my mother would pack a nutritious lunch for me. but, if I could scrape together enough quarters, I'd throw out that whole wheat bread sandwich and eat zingers and candy bars instead.

point is, it's pretty clear that stiffing kids full of sugar and caffeine is not an effective way to run a school, so let's do away with it.
 

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
10,681
0
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
bluebug32 said:
What, are kids going to have to show ID to eat at McDonald's now?

It's good that he's intervening, but kids need to learn good nutrition from parents too and choose to eat well, not be forced to
You DO need to force them to adopt good habits, because they are NOT getting any at home.

Parents today are awful at being parents, that's the major problem.