Quantcast

Awww Sh!t... my bike broke!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Was a mile from the end of a 10 mile ride last night and I heard a *snap*... not good. Had to hike it out.

And I leave for a week in NM on Saturday too.... :mumble:

On the bright side, I think it's time for a new bike.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Holy crap, how old is that thing? You know they make disc brakes and stuff now ;)
It's a 2002 StumpJumper.

Disc's not needed here in Louisiana... the are only two states flatter than here... FL and Delaware.. :p

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
It's a 2002 StumpJumper.

Disc's not needed here in Louisiana... the are only two states flatter than here... FL and Delaware.. :p
Need and being cool are totally different. :eviltongu

Besides I am gonna need my discs for Mammoth in 23 days :nuts:

Take this opportunity to buy a whole new bike. Do it, make your LBS happy.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Need and being cool are totally different. :eviltongu

Besides I am gonna need my discs for Mammoth in 23 days :nuts:

Take this opportunity to buy a whole new bike. Do it, make your LBS happy.

I am really thinking of getting a 29'er...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
Nice! Not 50 though...
Well if you are into 29ers.... You too can often be waiting for your fork to come back from repair, and its not like he is umm aggressive or anything.

To each their own

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Well if you are into 29ers.... You too can often be waiting for your fork to come back from repair, and its not like he is umm aggressive or anything.

To each their own

Well that ain't good. :(

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
Specialized will warranty that and probably send you a nice new stumpy frame - or at least a new linkage.

I am taking it in to the dealer at lunch time.

I can't figure why it broke there... I'm not a huckster.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 said:
I am taking it in to the dealer at lunch time.

I can't figure why it broke there... I'm not a huckster.
It is odd, that linkage is fairly strong. It probably had a pre-existing flaw that gradually spread until one side was weakened enough to break, the other side would quickly follow. I think the linkage is shot peaned powdercoated Al. If there is a pre-existing flaw, like a crack that spread slowly, some of the metal in the break will appear dull because it's been exposed to the elements and has oxidized. That's a sure sign of a manufacturing flaw. If it's a sudden failure, which may still be a manfacturing flaw, all the exposed broken metal will be shiney. Either way it shouldn't have broken.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Reactor said:
It is odd, that linkage is fairly strong. It probably had a pre-existing flaw that gradually spread until one side was weakened enough to break, the other side would quickly follow. I think the linkage is shot peaned powdercoated Al. If there is a pre-existing flaw, like a crack that spread slowly, some of the metal in the break will appear dull because it's been exposed to the elements and has oxidized. That's a sure sign of a manufacturing flaw. If it's a sudden failure, which may still be a manfacturing flaw, all the exposed broken metal will be shiney. Either way it shouldn't have broken.
The break is shiney with no evidence of oxidation. I do recall thinking that I was hitting an awful lot of stuff with my pedals last night prior to the failure... but the Stumpie has a LOW bottom bracket and this happens a lot. But I think the cracking metal lowered my bottom bracket as it cracked. It took a good 30 min of hard trail riding before it broke.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Funny how you posted about Specialized having job openings. I don't see any engineering positions... maybe they should reconsider their balance of industrial designers vs. engineers... :)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
It's a 2002 StumpJumper.

Your from Louisiana? I didnt know that. That explains a little why you are so damn conservative. I've spent a good deal of time in your home state, ultra conservative people, bad suspension links are both very widespread. :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
golgiaparatus said:
Your from Louisiana? I didnt know that. That explains a little why you are so damn conservative. I've spent a good deal of time in your home state, ultra conservative people, bad suspension links are both very widespread. :D

Ok Okie... I live in Louisiana... I'm not from here...

The south suxors ass.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sucks about the break but vee brakes rock. I live near some decent mountains, have had several bikes with disks but still prefer Vee's for XC/trail use. Ceramic rims and Kool Stop green pads just rule. I'll keep the 8" Hayes on the DH bike.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
Sucks about the break but vee brakes rock. I live near some decent mountains, have had several bikes with disks but still prefer Vee's for XC/trail use. Ceramic rims and Kool Stop green pads just rule. I'll keep the 8" Hayes on the DH bike.
8" Hayes mech in front, Avid single digit in back. Avid levers. Perfect.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I was born and raised in Louisiana and then got moved to Okieland and I'd kill to get a job back home in Louisiana.

Oh and I'd have that frame RMA'd to Specialized stat so you can get a new one, gotta love that lifetime warranty on their frames.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
H8R said:
Wait....

You MOVED there?????!!!??? :eek: :nope: :confused: :confused: :confused: :help:

First wife was from here.. just HAD to live here :rolleyes:, yadda, yadda, yadda.... I am from New Mexico.

New wife actually loves the Rocky Mountain West so we are on a 5-6 year plan to move to Alberquerque or Taos New Mexico. Coin erned from my home construction biz will be used to keep us from having to have jobs when we move out there so we can play and hang with our friends.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
N8 said:
I am really thinking of getting a 29'er...
Don't do it! you wouldn't enjoy it , who wants to ride a bike that's 10% faster and rolls easily over obstacles, and if you get one when you'll have to learn to ride with a silly grin on your face, who wants that?
:D

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 said:
First wife was from here.. just HAD to live here :rolleyes:, yadda, yadda, yadda.... I am from New Mexico.

New wife actually loves the Rocky Mountain West so we are on a 5-6 year plan to move to Alberquerque or Taos New Mexico. Coin erned from my home construction biz will be used to keep us from having to have jobs when we move out there so we can play and hang with our friends.

I love the West. I had to,live in Misery(missouri) for a job for 6 years and hated it. Hot, Wet, and if you dad didn't go to school with their dad, you're a foreigner.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
i always knew you were full of ****, but i didn't think your bike would break from the extra weight! :sneaky:
:p

HAhaahahahaa....waaaitasecond... you didn't mean that in a good way did ya?

:angry:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
N8 said:
Well that ain't good. :(

Only way to run a 29er is rigid and SS. Or go with a hardtail. The FS bikes just feel wierd, unless you are like 6'5".

Definitely fun bikes, but having an FS one is kind of like trying to solve a problem twice. Not necessary.

The Ito