Quantcast

Awww Yeaaah my new trail bike

I just recently parted out my DH bike to free up some funds for snowboard season, and to save for next years DH bike. I've come to realize that there's really no such thing as a DO-IT-ALL bike and that next summer I needed a local trail bike for Victor Falls, Tiger Mtn., 410 trails, and any other "trails" that require some pedaling. I had a Giant VT and couldn't stand it (felt weak) and was questioning on what type of bike to get or build for non-DH type trail stuff. I wanted something strong & durable, something like a Santa cruz heckler with a coil shock and a 5 inch fork, something with strong parts to take a good beating and I didn't mind it being in the chubby low to mid 30 pounder range.

Anyhow, I met up with a guy today who bought my Transition dirtbag frame and Super T fork and right before I headed on over to the Ski expo I decided to stop in at Supergo just to look around and :drool: . I had $1200 in my pocket that was supposed to buy my new ski pass, board, and a few other things only I came across a Giant AC1 2003 left over. It had a couple of paint chips on the under part of the frame tube and being that it was also a 2003 supergo had it marked down to $1150! At first I saw it and said to myself "holly Sh!t I could buy that bike, part it and make some cash!!!", But halfway home (after I made the purchase) I realized that this 35 pounder makes a great edition to my garage as my new trail bike :)

I'm stoked, finally I have a bike to pedal around the trails without busting a lung or hiking it to the top, and all for $1200. A $3k bike, for $1200!!!??? I know it's not a "XC" bike, but I don't race, don't have friends who even really ride XC, let alone fast, so this bike works out great for pedaling up as well as having fun coming down. I think I'll even be able to rip it without worries on most any trail once I get the springs weight set right. With the VT, I didn't feel that way.

I'll just have to save up a bit and get my season pass and board some other way, and next year I get to finally build a FULL ON DH rig as I now have a fun trail bike. No more do-it-all bike as there's no such thing without sacraficing!!!

Next spring it will be 8 inches + in the rear, 2.7 tires to 3.0's, Monster T up front, and no worries about weight as it will be my shuttle/chairlift bike "Only" as I now have a bike for everything else!!! :blah: :blah: :blah:

Shoot, I think this thing would even be a blast at SST!

Muahahah!!! Thanks Supergo!!!

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Niiiiice! Who needs snow anyway.:eviltongu
Hey Andy,

Yeah I'm super stoked man, can you believe it, $1200 lol, I feel like I robbed them. All it needs is some proper springs front and back and I'm ready for the "TRAILS".

I'm hoping to get a monstrous DH bike for next year. I can finally get the parts I want on it(Big travel frame, monster T, 2.7+ size tires, etc) for just pointing and shooting without a worry in the world. I don't have to pick and choose to save on weight and feel like my bike is too heavy for xc but not fully strong enough for Whistler's worst.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah Ooooooookay!

Oh-KKK, Oh-KKK. :dancing:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Hey, thats a cool bike josh. I was riding my HT about six weeks ago when I ran into who I figure is the craziest mountain biker in the State. I was wondering what his ride was, and it was an AC. He pedals it everywhere, I am surprised he hasnt tried to pedal to the top of Baker or something. Its got to be a good all around bike, probably can take a lot of abuse.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah that's a great deal, certainly nothing wrong with a new bike that's been sittin around for a few years, especially since the reason is Giant made a billion of those bikes... And i've seen quite a few on XC and Mountain trails and i've seen a few people try to make them into light freeride bikes as well.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I've had my 2003 Gaint AC1 for exactly 1 year now. I have ridden Devils Gulch and Mission Ridge, pedaling the 12 miles up with no problem (OK, it was hard work, but very do-able). I have taken it to Whistler and launched A-line and the Boneyard dozens of times. You can do No Joke on this bike, but it is a tough, hard hitting ride. I've hit everything at Seatac that I know of on this thing. I spent all summer jumping it at St. Eds. I pedal the thing up and down everything. It is my do-all bike. I'm 205lbs in my birthday suit, and this bike has stood up to everything I've dished out. Sure, I bottom the thing out ALOT, but it doesn't complain. The front fork is the weak link in setup, which they fixed with the Manitou Slider in 2004. The only part that failed on me was the seat-post. Titec replaced it for $20 with a knock-rated post that has not given me any problems.

I do a fair amount of routine maintainance on it which helps keep it going. Be sure to check the pivots once you wear it in, a couple came loose on mine and needed more lock-tight. Check those disc brake bolts as well periodically.

I paid $2000 last year. I saw it at Supergo a month age too for $1500. You got an awesome deal! The parts alone are worth $1200. I hope you enjoy your as much as I've enjoyed mine.

I am going to upgrade next year though. I need a couple extra inches, front and back to ease up some of those landings.

Big B said:
I've had my 2003 Gaint AC1 for exactly 1 year now. I have ridden Devils Gulch and Mission Ridge, pedaling the 12 miles up with no problem (OK, it was hard work, but very do-able). I have taken it to Whistler and launched A-line and the Boneyard dozens of times. You can do No Joke on this bike, but it is a tough, hard hitting ride. I've hit everything at Seatac that I know of on this thing. I spent all summer jumping it at St. Eds. I pedal the thing up and down everything. It is my do-all bike. I'm 205lbs in my birthday suit, and this bike has stood up to everything I've dished out. Sure, I bottom the thing out ALOT, but it doesn't complain. The front fork is the weak link in setup, which they fixed with the Manitou Slider in 2004. The only part that failed on me was the seat-post. Titec replaced it for $20 with a knock-rated post that has not given me any problems.

I do a fair amount of routine maintainance on it which helps keep it going. Be sure to check the pivots once you wear it in, a couple came loose on mine and needed more lock-tight. Check those disc brake bolts as well periodically.

I paid $2000 last year. I saw it at Supergo a month age too for $1500. You got an awesome deal! The parts alone are worth $1200. I hope you enjoy your as much as I've enjoyed mine.

I am going to upgrade next year though. I need a couple extra inches, front and back to ease up some of those landings.
Sounds good man, you really sound like you've appreciated it. Just out of curiousity, what spring rate are you running in the back, and did you upgrade the front?

This will be my trail bike, I had an '02 AC2 when I first moved here back in 2002 and I loved that bike. I hit up everything on it including snoqualmie. I'll be building a DH rig for the bigger stuff(Whistler, I-90 trails, Snake, Hood River, Hood, etc) but this will be my main ride for everything else. I tried to build up several bikes over the summer gearing them towards a do-it-all type of ride but was dissappointed. Had an '04 A-line(too heavy for trail use), sold it and got an '04 Giant DH w/dorado(nice ride but DH only), sold it and got a Transition dirtbag w/super T(loved that bike and will miss it) however it too was a bit heavy for trail use, fun for freeride stuff, but the fork wasn't strong enough for my healthy arse.

This bike is going to be for everything but the big drops and big lines. I love the AC line & the best part is it's only 35lbs. I bet I could even lighten the load a bit but I'll probably just run it as is. Anyhow, I'm stoked!

Ride on all!

-Josh

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
NineFingers said:
Sounds good man, you really sound like you've appreciated it. Just out of curiousity, what spring rate are you running in the back, and did you upgrade the front?

-Josh
The rear spring is whatever came stock with the large size frame. I haven't looked in quite a while. I think it's 450. It is too weak for my weight, but I haven't had any problems with the back end, so I just leave it as is. I can only feel it bottom out on large hits to flat, and I tend to avoid those anyway.

The Firefly has always been an issue. I upgrade to a Ti firm spring, but I should really have any extra-firm in there. I bottom it frequently off 5'+ drops and other jumps depending on the transition. I don't blame the fork though. It has been an awesome fork. Very stable and saved me quite few times. Rebuild kit is cheap and easy too ($20-25).

NBR X6 RIDER got to watch me indo on Sat. when I ran out of front travel. Would have been nice to have a slider on there!

I think the only practical way to save weight on the bike is with different tires. But I think you'll find you don't have to. It pedals great, even at ~35lbs. I don't think you'll find a better bike anywhere at that price (for it's intended purpose of course).

Big B said:
I don't think you'll find a better bike anywhere at that price (for it's intended purpose of course).
This is why I decided to keep it, I mean, where else can you find a new bike of this caliber for the trails at this price? I could make about $500 by parting it out on my ebay account as that's what I was going to do, but, even then I'd only have about $1600 or so to put towards something else, and if I went '05, there's nothing comparable at that price.