Quantcast

awwww shit. IT'S ON

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Haha I laughed at that one too. Censorship fail
I laughed as well. The YT replay I saw had only a few seconds,but you clearly heard that women Gasp in the Horror of the language. Where did they find this women? There whole Hot Seat is a shit show.

Avy

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The level of not caring has reached new heights for me this year. Two races in, I haven’t even bothered to watch the runs. Anyone else in the same boat?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The level of not caring has reached new heights for me this year. Two races in, I haven’t even bothered to watch the runs. Anyone else in the same boat?
no. I actually went the opposite direction. started off thinking I wouldn't care, and wouldn't pay. but the new format is pretty decent. I like how "the cream rises to the top". So while with Juniors and semis are free, you don't necessarily get to watch the best riders put in their best runs. They keep those for finals. So I broke down yesterday and paid me dues. The racing continues to be tight and bonkers. There's more camera coverage of the top riders' runs (I think they're spaced farther apart maybe, so the cameras show more of the runs?).

As for the commentators, Rick seems to be growing quickly and nicely into the job. Cedric... meh, what are you gonna do. I could still have the race on, listen to it distractedly, and come back when an interesting rider was in the start hut, or something exciting happened on screen.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fluckiger's (sp?) mechanic clearly went to the same mechanicking school as Evie Richards.

Fumbling around for way too long to change a wheel.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Wyn has done a nice WynTV again with a lot of good spirit inside

I lift my hat to Rachel, she's a top class act of her own.
What a weekend, I'm still overhung.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wyn has done a nice WynTV again with a lot of good spirit inside

I lift my hat to Rachel, she's a top class act of her own.
What a weekend, I'm still overhung.
Fabien Barel quoted saying he would rather see single line tracks about speed and make it about bike making the difference, less the rider.

I guess that's why he's racing e-bikes? :homer:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
The level seems higher than ever, after two races the mens field is 1 blown corner away from having Jordan and Jackson pitching a shutout. Its really wild. So many fast guys, yet a win takes a level of speed precision and perfection I've never seen in seasons past. Maybe its the 1 liner tracks? who knows?
Can't wait for the return of Pierron and Pompom.
Kinda feel for all the guys that have been so close to winning Kerr, Norton, Coulanges, seems like the mountain to climb is much taller now.
All I want for Christmas is Sam Hill in the finals at Val di sole, and a win for Dakota, so close last year and that track is better suited for those guys and their bikes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well I went to SteamBOAT. So there's that. Dirt powder day. Just wish more trails were open.

Didn't watch the DH ladies. DH Mens was cool. Was super bored during the XC and just did other things while listening to the techno music in the background of the broadcast Because that was more prominent than Ric and Ced. See my other post on that...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Through the TV or phone App.Nope. Not at all.

Well. it isn't coming through here. on the chromecast App or the android phone App. (have watched most of the coverage listening through TV speakers, phone speakers, bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth speaker. volume generally fairly LOUD
I'm not really sure what that means. You're not one of those pretentious blokes (it's ALWAYS blokes) who like to go on about their "superior" audio quality are you? :dirol:
I listen to music for at least 10 hours most days, basically I can't function without it. But honestly I couldn't care less about it being super high audio quality. But No. There has been no techno in the backgroud on any of the GCN+ mtb content I've watched here since subscribing.. I'd definitely notice. I like Techno. Way more than I like XC racing.

One thing I've noticed on the Apps is there's always two different options for Finals. I always choose the "English audio only" option. The one with the "INCLUDES LIVE SHOW" Red band across the bottom of the option card. could that be the issue?
Yeah, not a "audiophile" if that is still used these days. But just appreciate good speakers and recievers (I don't even own an amp) My Sony headphones are super amazing. But I'm not an audiophile, so they may actually suck. I don't care. But on an airplane? Noise canceling? Quality of sound? Amazing. They also double as ear muffs in the winter when I do my 6am dog walk in the snow. They're pretty cool :)

If I get a moment, maybe I'll play the non-live show version, with headsets to see if there's a difference. Test that against using the Chrome cast machine and regular set up.

Today is a holiday for some reason here in the States. So, I should actually be riding bikes and not on the PC :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm nearly willing to forgive the other Discovery drawbacks just because they're showing the juniors. Its so good watching and I'm sure it will help more juniors pick up deals and get signed now there's cameras on them. Plus they're loose as hell which is awesome to watch.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Anyone else wincing a bit at Hill and Minnaar racing still? Both of them stellar performers, but running the risk of tarnishing their reputations as they age in a highly competitive field?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Anyone else wincing a bit at Hill and Minnaar racing still? Both of them stellar performers, but running the risk of tarnishing their reputations as they age in a highly competitive field?
Masters league.

But I wouldn't count Minnaar out just yet. Seems that the first few races of the season is just the beginning of his training.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think they can do anything to really tarnish their past.

I mean they're traveling the world riding their DH bikes. How can we be critical of that? They should take full advantage and do it while they can, while they enjoy it. :)

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Masters league.

But I wouldn't count Minnaar out just yet. Seems that the first few races of the season is just the beginning of his training.
Yeah, I mean Minnaar is the GOAT, and maybe always will be. But in some ways it would be a shame to see him end on top 5s, then top 10s, then top 20s and so on. This is the guy that could so often find a bit of extra time in the final and come in on top.

Not to say the spark and the warrior isn't there still, but it gets a bit blunted by age.

Or maybe do we shift our appreciation to include some qualifiers? "For an older athlete.....".

Which then begs the question, when is the right time to bow out?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seems worth noting that the past few seasons minnaar has started pretty poorly and then been getting top 10's and top 5's by the end of the season. Seems like as long as he can qualify he deserves to be there, and if he can't then he'll have to move on.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or maybe do we shift our appreciation to include some qualifiers? "For an older athlete.....".
It's called Masters Worlds. And if Greg ever turns up there Peaty will rip the piss out of him for the rest of his life

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yeah, I mean Minnaar is the GOAT, and maybe always will be. But in some ways it would be a shame to see him end on top 5s, then top 10s, then top 20s and so on. This is the guy that could so often find a bit of extra time in the final and come in on top.

Not to say the spark and the warrior isn't there still, but it gets a bit blunted by age.

he still has that, in leogang he pulled a lot of time on the motorway, would have been interesting where he would have landed without his error in the woods

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Worth noting that none of the top 3 men in points now have actually won a race, nor has the leader of the womens points. Strange but not unheard of - Matt Walker won the overall a few years ago without a win at all.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013

Its crazy Greg is still at the pointy end pretty consistently.
But when everyone throws around the Goat term its a little bit cringey.
Calling him the goat they are disrespecting guys like Sam Hill and Gwin who at their peak, raised the level of the sport.
While Greg has been the most consistent guy over a very long period of time, Hill and Gwin had multiple seasons of dominance over everyone, time periods where they were unquestionably the fastest guy in the world.
Greg has the most wins but he has never had the dominant seasons or the next level speed of Hill or Gwin?
People have a short memory, they should judge guys careers by the peak of their success, not what happens at or near the end.
Whether its Hill, Gwin, Stevie, Ratboy, Bruni, Pierron, etc. We should look back at the dominance they all displayed for the time period and nothing else.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That just like, your opinion man. :-) Plus, you forgot to mention Nico.

GOAT is open to interpretation and endless debate, that's part of the fun, and I don't think defining it one way or another is disrespectful to anyone. Even the most competitive racers should just be happy to be part of the conversation. Best season is one way to define it, most wins over the course of career is another, then you have a bunch of subjective factors making it even more murky. You can make a strong argument that Rachel is the GOAT regardless of gender. Shit some people still think Palmer is the GOAT.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think it's about how many World Cup titles you have. Based on that it's the Alien and Rock Jesus. The tiebreaker goes to the Alien with 7 World Champs wins to 0 for Rock Jesus.

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 5.03.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I think it's about how many World Cup titles you have. Based on that it's the Alien and Rock Jesus. The tiebreaker goes to the Alien with 7 World Champs wins to 0 for Rock Jesus.

View attachment 195886
For me,I Love Gwin because he is the first American to play with the Big Boys. Not just play in the SandBox,but Stuff it thier Face. It should be Black & White,but that will never happen. Whether it is he had an injury,or,his team was garbage,or his Bike was gabarge,we agree to disagree. All sports are the same on this matter,save for a few. The Goat of our sport tome is Greg. Unless Gwin can give me a couple wins,it will be Greg.

Avy

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
He simply got older Avy.
The peak of his window of achievement was one of the most awesome ever but just a lot shorter lived than Greg's. Pretty much everyone's is.

That trek Gwin smoked everyone on was a good bike in its day but not particularly advantageous over competitors' bikes at the time.

Kinda funny seeing Josh's name in a discussion about greatest of all time. He peaked for like a season and a half before blowing himself up, bowing out and chilling out.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
He simply got older Avy.
The peak of his window of achievement was one of the most awesome ever but just a lot shorter lived than Greg's. Pretty much everyone's is.

That trek Gwin smoked everyone on was a good bike in its day but not particularly advantageous over competitors' bikes at the time.

Kinda funny seeing Josh's name in a discussion about greatest of all time. He peaked for like a season and a half before blowing himself up, bowing out and chilling out.
I put josh in there because he had a dominant season, something Greg hasn't had.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Think about some of the greatest runs in the history of the sport, Hill Val disole 2008, Champery mud run, Gwin 2012 8 seconds into greg in 2nd on the hardest track., the chainless run, Or the 2 st anne runs By Smith in 13 and Gwin in 17 winning a wet race that was dry for 95% of the field, Danny hart World champs.
Unthinkable stuff

Last edited: