Quantcast

Axial bearings and coil spring ?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hey all, I remember reading (here at RM.com>DH) that some riders from here tried using axial bearings/bushings at both ends of their shock spring. The idea behind was that the spring has torsional twist when being compressed, in opposite direction at each end, which causes a friction on the contact area of spring w/ nut. Axial bearings/bushings are to eliminate this friction. Those riders reported perceptible increase of shock sensitivity.

Can you remember that discussion, too? Could you help me find that thread? Or maybe it was a tweak from some suspension tuning company, I can't remember. What's your guess about why manufacturers don't use this trick?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
not much though??

how has the chepo version held up?
He's got about 3 rides on it, I'm sure he'll chime in here soon. Another one of our buddies has been running it for a month or 2 I believe, no problems so far. But I suppose dusty socal isn't gonna be nearly as hard on the exposed bearings as mud/wet east coast/PNW/Europe riding is gonna be on it. Hacktastic rigged up a piece of an old tube to cover it up a little bit.