Quantcast

axle path

Dec 14, 2004
I found this topic fairly interesting since I'm not having the same problem as klunky but I've been very disapointed with the linkage on my stinky dee-lux. It tends to bottom off of everything, and when it hits the square bumps such as hitting a rock on the trail it tends to buck me up instead absorbing the bump. I've been thinking of getting a Demo 9 or Demo 8, but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a new bike and have it not fix my problem. I would love to get the Canfield frame but I can get a complete demo9 or demo8 for the same price through my shop.

Do you think the Demo's linkage will be alot better then the stinky's? What are your thoughts of the Demos?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
freeridebiker88 said:
I found this topic fairly interesting since I'm not having the same problem as klunky but I've been very disapointed with the linkage on my stinky dee-lux. It tends to bottom off of everything, and when it hits the square bumps such as hitting a rock on the trail it tends to buck me up instead absorbing the bump. I've been thinking of getting a Demo 9 or Demo 8, but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a new bike and have it not fix my problem. I would love to get the Canfield frame but I can get a complete demo9 or demo8 for the same price through my shop.

Do you think the Demo's linkage will be alot better then the stinky's? What are your thoughts of the Demos?
the difference wont lie in the linkage, but rather the quality of the shock. Get a better damper and thing will be better.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
zedro said:
not sure but its over 50mm (it's been 2 years since i finalised that parameter).

I didnt get as much riding time as i wanted, once every week or two, still dialing in the linkage. Overall it rides great, it is heavy as expected but that hasent bothered me all that much. A longer front center wheelbase would of suited me better. It tracks and corners really well, swallows the bumps with the DHX, but it does lack some vibration sensitivity (i'm thinking its the size and weight of the swingarm thats the problems). It pedals pretty amazingly despite its weight; very stable and only lifts when on an incline in low gearing, not a typical DH situation. Braking is very flat with the floater setup. Overall i'm extreamely pleased with the outcome as a first project; it's biggest fault is the assembly/ease of maintenance, but i'll chalk that upto designer inexperience/ignorance.
When are you going to be hired by a bike manu. and start designing (sp?) production bikes? I'd buy one...

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
klunky said:
I dont think its compression as I have it virtually wound off completely. My spring weight is correct I think as I bottom out around 4 or 5 times per run on my home course.
I guess my description has made the problem sound worse than it is. Its not like The bike feels like im pulling and anchor it just sometimes feels like the wheel is not getting over boulders as fast as I would like it to (dam that makes it sound like compression and its not)
I guess what I need to know is will the DW link or VPP benafit me?

:)
Just because you have the compression wound out doesn't mean that not the problem. It may be that the "default damping " isn't as good as it could be, ie bad valving. For example, maybe it goes into hydraulic lock at high shaft velocities, even though the lower velocities have low compression damping. I'm not saying that's it, just giving an example of how the shock can be less than optimum for your setup no matter where the knobs are set.

Dec 14, 2004
zedro said:
the difference wont lie in the linkage, but rather the quality of the shock. Get a better damper and thing will be better.
Yes but I don't want to spend 500 on a shock and have it not change anything becuase of the axel path as we have been talking about

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
freeridebiker88 said:
Yes but I don't want to spend 500 on a shock and have it not change anything becuase of the axel path as we have been talking about
the source of your problem isnt the axle path, and the axle path between the two bikes arent actually all that much different. The real performance difference between the two linkage styles is pedalling and braking.

Dec 14, 2004
So you guys think that changing the bike isn't really gonna change what I'm trying to get rid of.

There is deffinetly a huge difference in smoothness between the VP-Free and My stinky thouhg, I rode a VP-Free up a flight of stairs and it felt like I was riding on a ramp. Then I rode my stinky up that same flight at the same speed and it felt like I was riding up stairs.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
freeridebiker88 said:
So you guys think that changing the bike isn't really gonna change what I'm trying to get rid of.

There is deffinetly a huge difference in smoothness between the VP-Free and My stinky thouhg, I rode a VP-Free up a flight of stairs and it felt like I was riding on a ramp. Then I rode my stinky up that same flight at the same speed and it felt like I was riding up stairs.
well changing the bike is also gonna change your shock, the Demo and VP both run 5ths which will ride nicer than a stock Vanilla no matter what. I'm just saying you can improve your suspension performance via the shock at a minimum, i'm not saying you'll like it better than those bikes, they are completly different anyways.

Dec 14, 2004
ok, I've got the vanilla rc and I think the demo comes with a swinger which I have heard good things about, also the vp-free I rode had a DHX on it.