Quantcast

Azonic gravity

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Has anybody riden this bike? Opinions please...
The frame is supposed to weight 5.5kg and the bb is very high. How does this affect the ride? Can you compare the bike with anyother similar?

thnx

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
I dont think there have been any official reviews on it so far.

Found a previous user on ridemonkey who had/has one. Here are some of the posts pertaining to the azonic frame:

OK, this is a really lively bike - air off of anything. It is a bit oversprung for me with a 550# spring but I have already changed that. You can feel the high bottom bracket a bit - it just feels a bit tall. It is nice and stable at high speed and takes hits really well. Not butter smooth like a 303 but still pretty good. I can't say much about the cornering because I am a bit rusty so my skills aren't up to task but the bike didn't have any bad traits. It flys nice and straight - comfortable in the air. The somewhat steep head angle wasn't really an issue until I blew the damping in my fork, then it was way too steep.

There is no apreciable chain growth - whew!, the short cage XO was long enough. The Truvativ chainguide is not the first choice for this bike - the lower pulley contacts the swingarm.

The Avid Codes are AMAZING. Wow, I love these brakes. A bit on the heavy side but I don't mind.

I fixed the damping issue and am looking forward to getting to know this bike some more.

The bike corners well. I can't snap it around like a Turner DHR but it does have a nice low COG and it is real predictable. BTW, my measurement fro the BB height was off - I didn't measure to the center of the BB so it is closer to 15". I may experiment with a new shock hole at some point to slack the HA and drop the BB. I'm not convinced it really needs it but it sure made the old DHR better.

Jumping the bike took about 10 minutes to figure out its center. I was nosing down a bit at first until I moved back just slightly then - perfect. It jumps nice and smooth. It feels light and is easy to move around in the air. I am no jump park master for sure but it did great.

On to the DH on Saturday and I was impressed. It has a nice low center of gravity and turns well. It takes bumps well but this is not a plow bike. You feel the bumps like you do on a DHR, it's not a cruiser in the rough like a 303 or V10. It is lively and you can pop of of just about anything. I found that it worked best to keep my weight back further than I normally would. This could be due to the slightly steeper head angle but I never had that OTB feeling.

A couple of minor negatives. The Truvativ guide I put on it doesn't fit very well and I have to rotate the lower pulley way down to clear the swingarm. If you run a large rear tire, it will contact the seat tube at full travel. I don't normally run a large rear tire but I had a 2.7" High Roller on there and does hit. I have switched to a 2.5" and I will see how that does. Lastly, it is fully active so if you hate pedal bob, this will bother you and you may want to opt for a shock with anti-bob. Personally, this doesn't bother me and I love the Rocco WC.

OK, I finally got some measurements. The wheelbase is 47.5". The bottom bracket, when measures correctly is 15". I swapped the Travis for a 888 RC2X and put a Ti spring on the Rocco and it weighs 42.5 lbs. I used the plumb bob method and got 65 degrees on the head angle but I know that can't be correct. I will have to borrow an inclinometer at some point.

It bottoms, though less severly, with a 2.5" tire too. It's not bad but less than desirable.

The bike is pretty darn light. I have heavy Gravity cranks, an RCX2 (not the World Cup), a heavy bottom bracket, a 2.7" front tire and a heavy (FSA Pig) headset and it is still 42.5 lbs.

It is a blast to ride!

Sorry about this, he kinda had a few posts worth of B-52 information and I frankensteined it for you. This is the link to the original thread, the review will probably make a bit more sense there.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177365

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I dont think there have been any official reviews on it so far.

Found a previous user on ridemonkey who had/has one. Here are some of the posts pertaining to the azonic frame:

Sorry about this, he kinda had a few posts worth of B-52 information and I frankensteined it for you. This is the link to the original thread, the review will probably make a bit more sense there.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177365
The OP asked about the 10" Gravity and you gave a [nice] post about the B52.

I think a few guys on mtbr have had them or had direct experience with them, but they seem to be pretty rare as heavy, uber travel hucker bikes were so 5 years ago lol.

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
The OP asked about the 10" Gravity and you gave a [nice] post about the B52.

I think a few guys on mtbr have had them or had direct experience with them, but they seem to be pretty rare as heavy, uber travel hucker bikes were so 5 years ago lol.
:poster_oops: I thought that the B-52 was azonics only downhill/freeride oriented sled.

chufta

Chimp
Sep 6, 2007
Croatia - "here be dragons"
it is. gravity's are not produced anymore.
i have azonic recoil, older version of gravity, but with 240e2e shock on it instead of original 222e2e so it gets same 10" of travel like newer gravitys.
for plowing through rockgardens it works like a charm, but if things get tighter it's like moving a couch around: soft and heavy.
high bb is not a great issue because of massive sag, when i sit on it i get lower sag than on my friends new norco team dh with the same spring rate.
so, bottom line- if you ride gnarly trails without much technical steeps it will be pretty good ride, but if you want something that works good in technical parts, forget about it.

edit: sada vidim da si iz slovenije, tako da mozes usporediti azonic sa cult mashinom samo sa malo vise hoda, malo tromija i meksa.