Quantcast

Azonic Outlaw cassette lockring trouble

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Helping a friend with a set of Outlaw wheels and cannot get my cassette lockring tool over the axle to engage the lockring

. Is there a special tool that has a thinner profile to go over/around the axle? I also took it to the LBS and they couldn't help either.

I wonder if I may be putting this together wrong, an illustrated parts breakdown for the 12mm thru axle would be helpful.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What size is the axle?

On some of my hubs, the issue is the wrench I'm using. If its a socket wrench, the axle protrudes too far and I have to use a box end wrench.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
It's the lockring that holds the cassette down. I can't get mine to slide over the 12mm axle. the inner diameter of the tool is to large.

Working on pictures.

Azonic CS failed to reply today also....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have used/seen casette tools that would not fit over large lock rings and other brands that would work on the same hub (park or shimano IIRC) . There is no standard for the ID of that tool, and to be honest I cant remember which one/brand worked but trying several random ones sitting around always seemed to be the solution....

second thought......

A square taper campy bb tool, is also REALLY close to the same outer dimensions with possibly a larger ID?? They are virtualy indistiguishable when sitting next to each other, so maybe that is what I have used on ocassion for large lock-ring hubs?

mfreak

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
the last set i had id remove the through axle then uninstall the cassette. its the only way i could do it with out modding my removal tool. the axle should be not be that hard to remove unless its all corroded on there.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Hmmm. never had an issue myself - have a set with 135X12 and a 150X12 on my wife's bike...I use the usual stuff - shimano lockring tool and a large adjustable wrench.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a park cassette tool and shimano cassette/lockring. Outside of the not quite wide enough cassette (had to use a spacer), the thing worked fine. Can't find it, so i don't have the number, but it's silver.

edit: park tools FR-7.

Oddly this is the only tool I've ever been disappointed by. The outer section of teeth has cracked. Don't know how much longer it will last. Are these things warranty-able?

double edit: appears I bought the wrong tool. Never had a problem with it though. Odd.

Last edited: