Quantcast

Azonic Outlaw Hub

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Had anybody rebuilt the rear hub on an Azonic Outlaw wheelset?
If somebody has, I will appreciate it if you guys can guide me how to do it?
While we are at it, I how about the front hub, does anybody knows if it can be dissembled?

thanks in advanced

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Very interested in this as well. I've got an Outlaw wheelset sitting in my spare parts pile cause the rear hub is crap! Actually, the rear hub has so much side-to-side play that you can feel it flop from side to side as you lean the bike over. I'd like to have it back up and running to have a spare though!

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Kind of funny that I just saw this thread because I'm going through all of my used bike parts and getting ready to sell them on ebay. One of the items is a perfectly good Azonic Outlaw rim laced to a P.O.S Azonic Hub. The hub is in such bad shape its completely seized up. Look on ebay later in the week and you just might see it there.

As for helping you out with servicing the hub, I don't have a clue, sorry.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Funny you have play!!!! I have ran them hard for 3+ years and never have had play. The rear hub is easy to take a part. Get 2 wrenches that will fit both Nuts on each side of the hub and loosen them up. One will loosen all the way out. (This is why you hub has play). Just tighten it up!!!! Then pull the Axle all the way out. You then should be able to pull the Free Hub body right off. Watch out as there are 3 small springs and claws that are in there. Then pull out the Sealed Bearing. To put back together do everything backwards. You will need to call AZONIC 800-326-6325 to order all the spare parts. Ask for the Barings, Springs, and Claws.

Sorry as I am not the best to give directions in written format. But I am a damn good bike mechanic.

Hope this helps a little and by the way you can't get a better set of wheels for the $$. They are even better than wheels twice the $$.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Kind of funny that I just saw this thread because I'm going through all of my used bike parts and getting ready to sell them on ebay. One of the items is a perfectly good Azonic Outlaw rim laced to a P.O.S Azonic Hub. The hub is in such bad shape its completely seized up. Look on ebay later in the week and you just might see it there.

As for helping you out with servicing the hub, I don't have a clue, sorry.
I'll buy your perfectly good outlaw rim w/o the hub if it is 32 hole.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Funny you have play!!!! I have ran them hard for 3+ years and never have had play. The rear hub is easy to take a part. Get 2 wrenches that will fit both Nuts on each side of the hub and loosen them up. One will loosen all the way out. (This is why you hub has play). Just tighten it up!!!! Then pull the Axle all the way out. You then should be able to pull the Free Hub body right off. Watch out as there are 3 small springs and claws that are in there. Then pull out the Sealed Bearing. To put back together do everything backwards. You will need to call AZONIC 800-326-6325 to order all the spare parts. Ask for the Barings, Springs, and Claws.

Sorry as I am not the best to give directions in written format. But I am a damn good bike mechanic.

Hope this helps a little and by the way you can't get a better set of wheels for the $$. They are even better than wheels twice the $$.

FCLinder, trust me on this one, I have had the hub apart many times and nothing.....seriously, nothing.....seems to get rid of the side-to-side play! With the thru-axle cones in the play is bad, but not annoying so. However, if I swap out the cones to run a qr with the supplied parts, the play gets amazingly bad. I'm a pretty damn good mechanic myself, but this one has me stumped. I ran them for a season without issue, but last year at Massanutten they just crapped the bed on me.

I convinced to other guys I regularly ride with to get the Outlaws and both have had nothing but problems. One had the freehub complete seize on him at Diablo and the other keeps having issues with his freehub, but due to his tight budget just keeps pulling it apart and cleaning/lubing.

Honestly, the Outlaws are great if your short on cash, but I won't make the mistake of buying them again. They lasted a season of dh racing, but that's about it.......and I take extremely good care of my dh rig.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have you guys with the play tried to call Azonic and asking them about it? I am sure they will know about any problems with their product and maybe glad to help fix them. Just a thought.... Sorry you guys have had bad luck with them. I have owned 5 sets in the past 3 years with out a problem.

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Trying to get in touch with Azonic is impossible, I have tried to reach them but no one answered my calls nor emails.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Mine seized up once, but I opened it up, pressed out the old bearings and pressed in some new enduros and it works like new. For those of you with play, my guess is that you crushed one of the spacers inside by overtightening it. Open it up and take a look at the little cylindrical spacers. If they are mushroomed out that could be your problem.

If you are rebuilding the hub for any reason you should definately replace the bearings. The stock ones suck, get abi enduro max. I'm pretty sure the bearing number was 6002, same as a ringle but you should double check on the seal of the old bearings.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Awesome, good to know as I have 3 sets now and have had no problems...but wouldn't mind giving them some luvin'...