Quantcast

Azonic Outlaw wheelset review? NE1

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
Looking to get a set of these. But curious about rim durability and rear hub engagement.

I toasted my rear singletrack this weekend, and my front wheel is a 20mm wtb dual duty(aggro xc rim) which I have been planning on replacing.

My other option is to have my lbs build 729s on my hubs (wtb front xt rear) for around $300. But this means tearing apart a perfectly good front trail wheel.

i can't comment on the hubs because i've never used or even seen them but the rims on the other hand..... :thumb:

i've been running them for a while now (since late october) and they have been absolutely flawless. i am very hard on them, one of those people who likes to sit down while plowing thru rock gardens and stuff while DH'ing. they have seen uncountable large hucks, dirt jumping and just general mayhem. no complaints, and if i had it to do over again, i would get them in a second. easily comparable to my mavic D321's in strength and reliability but just a couple mm's narrower.

edit: oh yeah, the rear one i have used to be Krispy's old one, from his shutttle bike last year, so who knows what he has done to it.... and i still pound it like it has never seen a trail. they are very confidence inspiring, set 'em and forget 'em...

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
I've got a set and have been running them for about a month or so. They're pretty solid and fairly light. They're staying true and the hubs are still running fine. I ride in Juneau and equipment tends to get pretty wet and beat up. So far so good. Definitely worth the $. Plus they're convertable from qr to through axle; front and rear. :thumb: Gotta love it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive had a set for a while now. I got them through team sponsorship. Originally they were just going to be placeholder/backup wheels, but ive used them as my main wheelset because they are pretty light compared to my other doubletrack wheelset. They have survived 3 race weekends, and numerous Freeride days. Im a 230lb hack also. They are "out of the box" wheels. I havn't de-laced or messed with them any more than just adding tension after the first few rides. The rear wheel has a few small dings from hitting stuff hard (thanks to stans i can plow rocks and case gap jumps). Overall the wheelset seems real strong and im sure they will last alot longer. Hub engagement seems fine. Its not a king or hadley, but they seem better than the XT hubs im used to. The conversion thing is cool too. Makes it very versitile. I can use them on my DH bike, and my XC bike......

My only gripe with the wheelset is that the front 20mm hub spacers dont have anything to keep them on the hub. This gets to be a real hassel if you take your wheel off alot. I was able to find a real close o-ring to stick inside the lip thats in the spacer (seems like someone forgot these). Otherwise ive been very pleased with my wheelsset.

As with any machined laced wheelset from overseas its important to keep the spoke tension in check. If you do that youll have a set that lasts.....

Good luck.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
There as also a write up in MBA a few months back about this wheelset. Got 4 stars and it's price for a complete set wasn't bad either. Looked like a solid, promissing wheelset.

Hell even monkey's have good results with them. They aren't as popular as Arrow/Mavic/Sun/Atom Lab's but for the cost I bet they can't be touched. Their hubs may be their only downfall as they most likley aren't the quality of Hope/Onyx/King but for most they'll do fine.