Quantcast

Azonic Outlaws vs. Sun-Ringle ADDs

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Nagaredama, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Nagaredama

Nagaredama Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    What are everyone's thoughts on the Outlaws vs. the ADDs? Similar weight and price after discounts. If the ADD lites were out I would go for those but they aren't so it is Ano grey Outlaws vs. ADDs.

Thoughts?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The hubs on all of the ADDs I saw last summer got sloppy as hell after about 3 rides. No idea about the Azonic.

3. Nagaredama

Nagaredama Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Do you know if it was easily fixed with new bearings? What did the Sun-Ringle factory riders do?

I've had Outlaws on my AS-X for about 3 years and they've worked really. Just bought a new frame that uses 150mm spacing so it is time for a new cheap-ish wheelset.

4. Threepointtwo

Threepointtwo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I don't have any experience with ADD's but have been very happy with Outlaws. I have been using then for the past 2 years on my DH rigs ith no problems.

5. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    298 / 2,552
    Can't comment on the Outlaws, but I would never run Ringle hubs again. I'm guessing what Transcend means is the drive pawls were sloppy (sorry if I'm mistaken) as I was rebuilding/replacing the pawls every few months. They would just shear their edges until the slipping engagement ultimately turned into walking out the woods.

6. skyst3alth

skyst3alth Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I've had great luck with Outlaws all last season. For the price they are decently light and super tough for a machine built wheelset. Can't really go wrong if you're looking to save some coin.

7. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The engagement was sloppy (springs shot and rounded pawls), as was the actual hub. The shell would rock back and forth on it's bearings. Horrible.

8. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Outlaws.
    They are cheap and light. The hubs aren't stellar, but they don't suck either.
    I really don't care for Ringle hubs.

9. dhmike

dhmike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    25 / 42
    i have a pair of outlaws and i don't have ant complaints with them. there a great set of wheels .

10. Jim Mac

Jim Mac MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN

Rep/Likes:
    32 / 281
    Outlaws are a good bang for the buck. Fairly easy to service. I love Sun rims, but the hubs...

11. Big J

Big J Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I picked up two pairs of ADD's for this coming season and I don't foresee a hub issue since I've beaten the snot out of my ABBA's which to this day roll just fine.

Granted I've never had the Jump'n Flea's before but I did get crabs from a chick in college.

J

12. CRoss

CRoss Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    Sun Ringle must design the bearings and hubs to do this. I have never seen a Ringle hub not develop a ton of unfixable slop. Once they do get the initial slop though it never seems to get worse.

13. pancho64

pancho64 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ive had a sun rear hub attached to an mtx for at least 2 years now and i have yet to have a problem. havent serviced the hub or anything and still rolls better than most of my friends's wheels (profile, woodman etc...) rim is awesome too

14. CRoss

CRoss Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    My front Ringle hub rolls awesome! It sounds horrible and makes your headset feel like it is loose, but it out rolls many new high priced hubs.:twitch:

15. sperkins

sperkins Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah if you are looking for a cheaper one, go with Outlaws.

16. FCLinder

FCLinder Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Sun was a sponsor of mine back in 2001 till 2003. I now run OutLaws and can say they are just as good as any wheel out there. Kings and I9s are another story...

17. mandown

mandown Poopdeck Repost

Rep/Likes:
    276 / 1,034
    just got my outlaws a while back and haven't beaten on them too bad yet, but they are holding up fine.

18. whale

whale Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    :thumb: on the outlaws. they are the best bang for your buck set of wheels i have owned. i have 2 pairs and after 2+ years, they are still running great. i have one set for my DH bike and one for my trail bike.

19. SuboptimusPrime

SuboptimusPrime Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    32 / 811
    Just another vote for the outlaws. I beat on a set of outlaws (that I purchased used) for 2.5 years without even having to tighten a spoke. No problems. Finally started breaking spokes a bit ago. For the money, I'm not sure you can do better.

20. TomBo

TomBo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Ringle Abba hubs have been ok for me. Front is great, but the rear (150mm) needs new bearings once or twice a season. At least there easy to service and find bearings for. Pawls have been fine. Personally haven't heard any about he jumping fleas yet. Wish I would have gone with Hope Pro 2s...