Quantcast

Azonic Outlaws vs. Sun-Ringle ADDs

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
What are everyone's thoughts on the Outlaws vs. the ADDs? Similar weight and price after discounts. If the ADD lites were out I would go for those but they aren't so it is Ano grey Outlaws vs. ADDs.

Thoughts?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
The hubs on all of the ADDs I saw last summer got sloppy as hell after about 3 rides. No idea about the Azonic.
Do you know if it was easily fixed with new bearings? What did the Sun-Ringle factory riders do?

I've had Outlaws on my AS-X for about 3 years and they've worked really. Just bought a new frame that uses 150mm spacing so it is time for a new cheap-ish wheelset.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Do you know if it was easily fixed with new bearings? What did the Sun-Ringle factory riders do?

I've had Outlaws on my AS-X for about 3 years and they've worked really. Just bought a new frame that uses 150mm spacing so it is time for a new cheap-ish wheelset.
I don't have any experience with ADD's but have been very happy with Outlaws. I have been using then for the past 2 years on my DH rigs ith no problems.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Can't comment on the Outlaws, but I would never run Ringle hubs again. I'm guessing what Transcend means is the drive pawls were sloppy (sorry if I'm mistaken) as I was rebuilding/replacing the pawls every few months. They would just shear their edges until the slipping engagement ultimately turned into walking out the woods.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I've had great luck with Outlaws all last season. For the price they are decently light and super tough for a machine built wheelset. Can't really go wrong if you're looking to save some coin.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can't comment on the Outlaws, but I would never run Ringle hubs again. I'm guessing what Transcend means is the drive pawls were sloppy (sorry if I'm mistaken) as I was rebuilding/replacing the pawls every few months. They would just shear their edges until the slipping engagement ultimately turned into walking out the woods.
The engagement was sloppy (springs shot and rounded pawls), as was the actual hub. The shell would rock back and forth on it's bearings. Horrible.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I picked up two pairs of ADD's for this coming season and I don't foresee a hub issue since I've beaten the snot out of my ABBA's which to this day roll just fine.

Granted I've never had the Jump'n Flea's before but I did get crabs from a chick in college.

J

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The hubs on all of the ADDs I saw last summer got sloppy as hell after about 3 rides. No idea about the Azonic.
Sun Ringle must design the bearings and hubs to do this. I have never seen a Ringle hub not develop a ton of unfixable slop. Once they do get the initial slop though it never seems to get worse.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
ive had a sun rear hub attached to an mtx for at least 2 years now and i have yet to have a problem. havent serviced the hub or anything and still rolls better than most of my friends's wheels (profile, woodman etc...) rim is awesome too

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
My front Ringle hub rolls awesome! It sounds horrible and makes your headset feel like it is loose, but it out rolls many new high priced hubs.:twitch:

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
I've had great luck with Outlaws all last season. For the price they are decently light and super tough for a machine built wheelset. Can't really go wrong if you're looking to save some coin.
Yeah if you are looking for a cheaper one, go with Outlaws.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
:thumb: on the outlaws. they are the best bang for your buck set of wheels i have owned. i have 2 pairs and after 2+ years, they are still running great. i have one set for my DH bike and one for my trail bike.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just another vote for the outlaws. I beat on a set of outlaws (that I purchased used) for 2.5 years without even having to tighten a spoke. No problems. Finally started breaking spokes a bit ago. For the money, I'm not sure you can do better.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Ringle Abba hubs have been ok for me. Front is great, but the rear (150mm) needs new bearings once or twice a season. At least there easy to service and find bearings for. Pawls have been fine. Personally haven't heard any about he jumping fleas yet. Wish I would have gone with Hope Pro 2s...