Quantcast

Azonic Outlaws

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've done the search, the price is right, the wheels seem strong....how is the engagement on these suckers? I can cut a significant amount off my bike's build cost using these rather than some used setup, but I don't want to be wishing I hadn't blown the money. How would they compare to say, a Hope Pro2?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Hopes will build into a lighter wheelset, but not by a ton. The Engagement on both is decent, but if you are spoiled by I9s or Kings, they will both be a dissapointment.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No, my last ride had a pro2 and I thought it was plenty adequate, but not mind blowing. Later I had swapped in a different wheel with super cheapo hub, and I could actually tell the difference. I don't expect to be spoiled by the azonic hubs, like you might be with a king or i9, but I don't want to be let down by having half a pedal stroke to engage.

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I've done the search, the price is right, the wheels seem strong....how is the engagement on these suckers? I can cut a significant amount off my bike's build cost using these rather than some used setup, but I don't want to be wishing I hadn't blown the money. How would they compare to say, a Hope Pro2?
If your not racing Pro 4X or DS then you will not know the difference in the engagement of most wheels out there. I ran Outlaws for a good while and can say they are right up there with any high end wheelset. If your into Bling then pay more for the Hopes, I9s, Etc. But for the cost you can't beat them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't race pro and I can't tell the difference between my 108pt Hadley's and all my other hubs (assorted shimano, mavic deetrack)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Outlaws are fine wheels for the price. I have a set for "JRA" riding days and have another set of wheels with DT Swiss 440 hubs for racing, and I can notice the difference in engagement in comparing the two. Is it that important in the long run? Probably not.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have a pair of OUtlaws. There was a guy that lives close that was selling some. I got them for $150. To me, they were just white wheels that are durable. They might be a bit heavy on my trail bike, but they work fine for me.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
If your not racing Pro 4X or DS then you will not know the difference in the engagement of most wheels out there.
Actually I notice a pretty big difference going from something like my Shimano hub to a wheel like Deemax with many more engagement points.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool, I think I'll go with them. I've read that they have 25 engagement points, is that true?

208 bucks brand new at jenson is kind of roxx0ring my soxx0rs.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Best bang for the buck is the ChainReactionCycles.com wheel builds. Around $350usd for 729s on Pro2 hubs, more if you add stuff like dbl butted spokes, or lighter rims. For an extra $100 you can get a wheel that is on par strength wise, with a nice weight loss. EDIT: I was assuming retail price for the Outlaws, $250ish.

I ran Outlaws on both my Mini and Big DH bikes for a while. Great wheels, strong and CHEAP.

Although you know the saying. Light, strong, cheap; pick 2.

Recently switched to 823s laced to ProIIs and in comparison the Outlaws feel like boat anchors, I dont like running them anymore. I dont remember the exact weights, but I saved over 1-1.5lbs per wheel. Took my ~43lb Sunday down to 40 on the dot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, the 729s are great and the hopes are super light indeed, but based on my recent experience with CRC I'm not buying anything again until the first order arrives...finally. in the meantime, despite previous failures by azonic's CS, I think i'll give them a shot until I build up das uber wheelset (I already have a hadley front, but no rear....someday).

Looks like the outlaws have 24 points just like a hope...I'll be happy with those. Thanks for the input guys!

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Funny, people compare 823/Pro IIs to Outlaws. My main wheels are 823/Pro IIs and Outlaws are my backup (or mud tire) set.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a set of Outlaws last fall for my Highline build. Only have about 6 good rides on them so far but they are holding up well. The hub engagement feels slightly faster than low end Shimano hubs which would make sense at 24 vs 18 pt engagement. They spin very smooth and with low drag. For $250 or less, they are a great wheelset and half the price of a Hope or Hadley setup.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Funny, people compare 823/Pro IIs to Outlaws. My main wheels are 823/Pro IIs and Outlaws are my backup (or mud tire) set.
My 823s are the race wheels, I have a stock wheelset off a Glory for practice (729/sun abbah) and my Outlaws are the backup wheels for my backup wheels.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
If your not racing Pro 4X or DS then you will not know the difference in the engagement of most wheels out there. I ran Outlaws for a good while and can say they are right up there with any high end wheelset. If your into Bling then pay more for the Hopes, I9s, Etc. But for the cost you can't beat them.
I don't know that you have to be a PRO 4x or DS racer, but I definately recommend a higher engagement rate for gated disciplines.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Yeah, the 729s are great and the hopes are super light indeed, but based on my recent experience with CRC I'm not buying anything again until the first order arrives...finally. in the meantime, despite previous failures by azonic's CS, I think i'll give them a shot until I build up das uber wheelset (I already have a hadley front, but no rear....someday).

Looks like the outlaws have 24 points just like a hope...I'll be happy with those. Thanks for the input guys!
I have been riding Hope Pro II's next to Azonic Outlaws the past three weekends (practice wheels/race wheels)... I have been really impressed with the Outlaws and will happily be practicing/freeriding on them throughout the season. The only thing I have noticed is that my Hopes to 721's feel a little snappier due to the lighter weight.

If you are on a tight budget and are hard on your wheels you can't go wrong with the Azonic Outlaws.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
All our "big" bikes have Outlaws and we're very happy with them.
One of the guys on my team had Outlaws for a long time.

He just replaced wheels on all three of his bikes with Mavic Cross Max ST, SX and Dee Max. Talk about making a jump. The Outlaw to Dee Max will save pounds.