Quantcast

B-2 Stealth Bomber goes down in Guam

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Much like Jeremy R and brungeman, I don't see how they would find it, but I am more intrigued by this line from the article, "and no munitions were on board."

Why wouldn't a bomber have bombs??? What a let down.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
B2 is not a fighter... the F117 (stealth fighter) has been decommissioned and stacked in the AZ desert. Several F117's crashed.
The F-117 isn't a fighter either. It has no offensive capability. The AF names these things "fighters" to stroke the pilots' egos. FB-111 comes to mind as well. Another misnamed plane.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
B2 is not a fighter... the F117 (stealth fighter) has been decommissioned and stacked in the AZ desert. Several F117's crashed.
Ya, ya, ya. I think that when you bomb something and blow sh!t up youre fighting it. I know its not a "fighter," but it does bomb stuff sooo ya. What about the SR-71, could that be considered a stealth fighter?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya, ya, ya. I think that when you bomb something and blow sh!t up youre fighting it. I know its not a "fighter," but it does bomb stuff sooo ya. What about the SR-71, could that be considered a stealth fighter?
No, it makes it a bomber. Fighters fight other aircraft.

The SR71 was a long distance, high altitude recon craft. It had no armament of any kind, air to air or air to ground. So no, it isn't a fighter. Technically, it wasn't stealth either.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Yeah but their radar signatures are so small they are usually mistaken for clutter, or even flocks of birds. So it might as well be invisible :nerd:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The F 117 is classified as a fighter, hence the F designator. However, it does not go air to air or air to ground in the classic fighter sense, nor does it have a chain gun or missile mounts. The B2is a bomber in the classic sense.
Either way, bump up the budget a touch to replace this thing...

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Much like Jeremy R and brungeman, I don't see how they would find it, but I am more intrigued by this line from the article, "and no munitions were on board."

Why wouldn't a bomber have bombs??? What a let down.
Would have made the explosion a whole hell of a lot cooler.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Nate's a lover, not a fighter! :biggrin:

sorry Nate, you left the door wide open on that one buddy."

Oh, and SR-71 is not a fighter, it's a band.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The SR-71 was originally designed as a fighter, but in tests, it kept flying into it's own munitions.
If you want to get real geeky about it, it was originally designed as a reconnaissance craft--the A-11--as the CIA wanted something that couldn't be shot down. The A-12 variant came next (and, yes, the radar cross section was reduced).

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Sorry, wrongo chief! :busted:

Actually I re-read this today and thought, hmmm, classified radar absorbing material left out in the desert for any anti-american here to simply go out to the desert and steal a piece of the wing material and sell to the middle east? The material used to make the stealth is still classified information. I just don't believe the U.S. Military would do that.

So I went looking. The F-117's are not sitting in the desert stacked. They have had their wings unbolted and they are being stored for possible later use. But they are being kept battle ready. Eventually I take it when we have far superior fighters, we will probably sell our old F-117A's to a foreign ally, like we did with old F-16's. We sell them the plane, but we remove all the guts and their technology and sell them the shell basically. By then we'll have the tech to detect our own stealths or at least recognize their signature so they won't be a threat to us. Read this article.

http://www.av8rconnection.com/f-117-stealth-fighters-being-retired/

The new Raptor has taken the place of the Stealth F-117A because of it's extreme agility capability, power capability and better overall design to the stealth and I would think it's probably got a better range, as well as ordinance capability. I personally like the looks of the stealth over the raptor.

I can tell you for first hand knowledge. The material the stealth and raptor are made from are composites that the U.S. government will keep sacred, so much so, they'll kick you out of your own home.

You may recall a few years back, national news headlines, an F-117A stealth fighter crashed at an air show over Maryland. The military swarmed in and took over the entire area within minutes and forced people out of their own homes for several days claiming national security issues. There is a very good article here about it.

http://f-117a.com/793.html

I remember the people on local TV complaining about literally being given by the military only like three minutes to get a few things from their home and then being wisked off their own property not allowed to look at or examine the wreckage.

Pretty scary what the government can do.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Sorry, wrongo chief! :busted:

Actually I re-read this today and thought, hmmm, classified radar absorbing material left out in the desert for any anti-american here to simply go out to the desert and steal a piece of the wing material and sell to the middle east? The material used to make the stealth is still classified information. I just don't believe the U.S. Military would do that.

So I went looking. The F-117's are not sitting in the desert stacked. They have had their wings unbolted and they are being stored for possible later use. But they are being kept battle ready. Eventually I take it when we have far superior fighters, we will probably sell our old F-117A's to a foreign ally, like we did with old F-16's. We sell them the plane, but we remove all the guts and their technology and sell them the shell basically. By then we'll have the tech to detect our own stealths or at least recognize their signature so they won't be a threat to us. Read this article.

http://www.av8rconnection.com/f-117-stealth-fighters-being-retired/

The new Raptor has taken the place of the Stealth F-117A because of it's extreme agility capability, power capability and better overall design to the stealth and I would think it's probably got a better range, as well as ordinance capability. I personally like the looks of the stealth over the raptor.

I can tell you for first hand knowledge. The material the stealth and raptor are made from are composites that the U.S. government will keep sacred, so much so, they'll kick you out of your own home.

You may recall a few years back, national news headlines, an F-117A stealth fighter crashed at an air show over Maryland. The military swarmed in and took over the entire area within minutes and forced people out of their own homes for several days claiming national security issues. There is a very good article here about it.

http://f-117a.com/793.html

I remember the people on local TV complaining about literally being given by the military only like three minutes to get a few things from their home and then being wisked off their own property not allowed to look at or examine the wreckage.

Pretty scary what the government can do.
We already do. My dad wrote the software for it. I know for sure its on the USS Ronald Reagan, and might be on the Nimitz

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
fighters dont necessarily have to be in a dog fight to be a "fighter". F-18s can drop bombs, and also use their missiles for high speed passes at anti-aircraft that are for shooting down bambers. the 20mm cannons are also good for taking out little al-qaeda guys jogging around on the ground.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
SR 71 was designed as a fighter? Where do you get that? A fighter that operates 25 miles up?? Just dont see it...
It was actually designed as areplacement for the Valkyrie, a bomber that never quite worked out. There was a famous Valkyrie crash in the So Cal desert, not far from where I live.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
We already do. My dad wrote the software for it. I know for sure its on the USS Ronald Reagan, and might be on the Nimitz
Yeh I know too. Wasn't sure but I had heard that info somewhere in my past history either read or on TV somewhere. Oh, I know who it was, it was Ronal Reagan on the Nimitz. :biggrin:

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Yeh I know too. Wasn't sure but I had heard that info somewhere in my past history either read or on TV somewhere. Oh, I know who it was, it was Ronal Reagan on the Nimitz. :biggrin:
well, thats jut confusing to read :shocked:. Haha, I know its on other ships too, I just dont remember which. The reagan and Nimitz are based righte where I live, so I know for sure bout those 2. Ill ask my dad about the others